View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2007, 03:31 PM
If it was ONLY my opinion, I could see the issue, however it isn't. It just seems I am the one continually fighting the corner for those who don't want to keep replying because we dont' want to be tarnished with the same brush as those who seemingly make excuses for not picking up.

It does make me angry and acidic. If we all picked up, the general public, schools and the Gov would have no reason to complain about us and therefore place more and more restrictions on us dog owners.

Just a thought.
Jenson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2007, 09:25 PM
As said by myself previously, I strongly believe it is our responsibility to pick up after our dogs and all my family as well as myself do so whenever our dog toilets.

Before we got our dog I was one of the people upset with those owners who did not pick up after their dogs (infact I still feel the same) and it saddens me that people cannot see how right it is to do so.

When my youngest son was two, not long out of hospital, we were on a walk when he fell in the grass and right into some dog poo! (It wasn't old and dry, it spread all over him).
I had to straight away scrub his little hands and go home to put the new clothes he was wearing in the washing machine and wash them ... and what was meant to be a happy family time out/walk was ruined by some thoughtless person who hadn't picked up after their dog.

I can't tell you how upset I was.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-07-2007, 08:16 AM
FAGIN (spoken)]
You see, Oliver...

[sung] In this life, one thing counts
On the bank, large amounts
I'm afraid these don't grow under trees,
You've got to pick-a-pocket of poo

You've got to pick-a-pocket of poo, boys,
You've got to pick-a-pocket of poo.

[BOYS]
Large amounts don't grow under trees.
You've got to pick-a-pocket of poo.

[FAGIN (spoken)]
Let's show Oliver how it's done, shall we, my dears?
From Oliver the musical - You've Got to Pick a Pocket of Poo
spot
Dogsey Veteran

14-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
What annoys me is places like Hamsterly Forrest. They insist you clean up after your dog, but don't provide 1 dog bin! I've started buying the eco friendly nappy bags and picking up, then popping the bag behind a hedge.
I sometimes walk mine in a park like that and yep its annoying but I also take a carrier bag as well as the normal poo bags and use that to carry them to wherever the nearest bin is or have taken it home.

Now I just wish someone would pick up the ruddy fox poo in the field where I run my lot cuz they sure know how to find that
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2007, 01:05 PM
If

What annoys me is places like Hamsterly Forrest. They insist you clean up after your dog, but don't provide 1 dog bin! I've started buying the eco friendly nappy bags and picking up, then popping the bag behind a hedge.
So you would rather litter the countryside to make a point than take YOUR cr@p home with you???? Thats shamful and its a disgrace Iv also read your EXCUSE of "I dont want to carry it 10+ miles" If this is the case and you cant be @rsed with the responsability then dont have a dog!!!!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Thanks, Patch - bookmarked them both. At the moment, Border Collies and wheelchairs are untested technology, as they don't seem to like it very much. They used to be able to pull me over when I had real legs - I'm not keen yet to find out what they can do with my false ones. The main reason they don't get out and about, nowadays

Snorri

Snorri, I would have responded sooner if I`d had my brain cell switched on the last few days, doh
I came across an organisation a while back who help people train their own dogs in assistance tasks, it occured to me that maybe they could help you with teaching yours to be ok with being walked next to your chair ?

http://www.dogaid.org.uk/index.htm
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2007, 02:42 PM
The lane is above the legal speed limit of which you should clean up after your dog
That gave me images of dogs running over the speed limit while they poop, I think I`ve had a little too much caffeine :smt101 :smt005

I totally understand your frustration, more poop bins would be a blessing along with general litter bins in rural walking areas, especially popular ones. Yes eco friendly sacks are a help but I think they are meant to contain it then break down in landfill
I do think they are more of a danger to wildlife than unbagged poop kicked well out of the way, I could easily imagine a hedgehog getting caught up on one or feral cats chewing and swallowing plastic off them [ something a lot of cats do, chewing plastic bags ], or a fledgeling getting caught up.
Being biodegradable just makes them break down sooner than ordinary plastic bags but as soon as they tear they are as much a risk to wildlife as ordinary ones, the same as any other litter
Might you rethink it and either deposit unbagged where no one could possibly be troubled by it or pop a bagged one in a tupperware then in a little back-pack so its not an encumberance on a long walk ?
I know what a pain it is juggling carrying multiple poop bags and leads while walking a few dogs at a time, and putting several in a carrierbag gets in the way for me, [ cos I`m a klutz lol ], so thats what I found a good way to deal with it
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Kanikula View Post
So you would rather litter the countryside to make a point than take YOUR cr@p home with you???? Thats shamful and its a disgrace Iv also read your EXCUSE of "I dont want to carry it 10+ miles" If this is the case and you cant be @rsed with the responsability then dont have a dog!!!!
Less of the bitchyness please.

If you don't agree with someone put your point across in an adult, amicable manner!!

Compare Patch's reply to the exact same post to see how a point can be put across without resorting to a personal attack.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Might you rethink it and either deposit unbagged where no one could possibly be troubled by it or pop a bagged one in a tupperware then in a little back-pack so its not an encumberance on a long walk ?
I know what a pain it is juggling carrying multiple poop bags and leads while walking a few dogs at a time, and putting several in a carrierbag gets in the way for me, [ cos I`m a klutz lol ], so thats what I found a good way to deal with it
I have noticed the recent inventions shown in dog magazines for a few special containers which have special compartments in for carrying er poo ...

One is this one, the Muksak

http://www.muksak.com/

I'm pretty sure I've also seen advertised a rucksack, but a special compartment for it ...

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2007, 03:35 PM
I personally pick up all the time - it incenses me if I see owners who do not, in areas such as parks, pavements, those kind of places.

The only place I don't pick up is in the forest where we are allowed to do as (I think it was Ramble mentioned) the stick/flick thing.

I have been known to offer people poo bags with a smile and a "isn't it embarrassing when you forget them?" type comment, mainly to save them face and to avoid an argument about me being bossy and not in charge of their walk! :smt002

Re the poo and the eye infections - it's not much consolation but the poo has to be in the exact conditions for about 10 days for it to be able to infect a child. So older poo is more "dangerous" than poo a day or two old.

This is from a fox website but it seems to give nice concise info:

Toxacariasis

Transmission to humans is through ingestion of viable eggs from contaminated faeces. Eggs require 10 - 14 days maturation in soil before they become infective and are killed by desiccation. Human cases can range from asymptomatic infection to eye infection. Humans are not carriers and infection is treatable once identified. Simple hygiene precautions such as worming both cats and dogs regularly and the disposal of their faeces by burning or throwing in the garbage.

and this is from the Merialvet website:

Toxacariasis in people
This is caused when a person accidentally swallows the Toxacara eggs from the ground, and this is why crawling babies and toddlers are most at risk - they tend to put dirty fingers and toys in their mouths.

These eggs may hatch and worm larvae then enter the human body. The larvae can cause illness and eye problems, but luckily cases of permanent blindness are very uncommon.

Toxocariasis, although rare, has led to considerable publicity, and it is therefore extremely important for responsible pet owners to regularly worm their pets.

Wys
x
Page 11 of 14 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >