View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tiago
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2007, 09:53 AM
On the first video the dog was wagging it's tail but your right they should'nt use things to encourage it.

My dogs dont pull that much like i have said we do it for fun and exercise, My dogs love it and for that reason i wont stop doing it.

IMO if the dog likes it then it cant be cruel,
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 10:06 AM
I think weight pulling is a good form of exercise for the dog, when done correctly and responsibly.

I can see clear benefits ie: channelling energy, keeping the dog fit and I can see how some dogs would enjoy it immensely. Where it starts to fail is when it becomes more of a macho competition between people who try to out-do one another and put too much strain on their dogs

Also, I dislike the idea of them them being trained in this way just to gain muscle for other purposes ie: dog-fights.

If Ozzy were fully fit (not had cruciate probs) - I would not rule out trying weight pulling, but it would have to be with the proper equipment and guidance and strictly monitered amounts of weight involved. I cannot consider this now though because of his condition.

Interestingly I first heard about weight pulling when I came across St Bernard websites!! Various breeds take part not just bull-breeds, on different websites I have seen Samoyeds, Newfies, St Bernards and various other breeds as well as bull-breeds. They were all yapping and barking with excitement and clearly enjoying themselves enormously!

The yapping & barking reminded me so much of my German Shepherd who used to do the same thing when waiting for his turn in the agility ring, he used to pull the place down with excitement and anticipation.

It's like anything there are always the minority who spoil things for the majority.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 10:09 AM
With regards to that video:
Alaskan Malamutes/Sibes are not "encouraged!" like that.. They are spoken to, they don't have things waved in front of their face like that.. I think that was more a drive to please it's owner NOT a drive to do something it was enjoying!
Can't find any video's of a Mal Weight Pull but there are some photo shows http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...te+weight+pull

I think if you have to stand in front of them screaming at them like that then its not something they want to do..
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Samoyeds and Newfies were bred to pull. Samoyeds are sled dogs and Newfies pull boats. Not sure about Bernies but I bet they were used to pull sleds when rescuing people in the mountains.
Becky
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Umm Samoyeds are reindeer herding dogs first and foremost.. sled pullers if they have to.. they were the babysitters LOL
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT View Post
i tell u what is a load of BS sara, dogs on a sofa, with a 20 min walk a day, allowed to be fat and cant run for more than 5 mins, THATS cruel
I'll 2nd that
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 10:45 AM
I agree with weight pulling to a certain extent. I defiantly do not agree with these dogs pulling excessive weights, that is just cruel. I think I agree to dogs pulling small carts, sledges etc with weights that the dog appears to enjoy pulling...but nothing more
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by tiago View Post
It seems to me that alot of people who dont know much about weight pulling, are looking at a couple of vids on you tube and deciding it's cruel.
I didn't say it was cruel. I'm not informed enough on the subject to form an opinion as to wether it's cruel or not. What I did say was that I watched images of several dogs taking part in weight pulling and none of those images sat comfortably with me.

From what I saw the dogs were doing it to try and please the owners, rather than from enjoyment of the activity. I can only imagine the damage that is caused to those animals joints, shoulders and spines through pulling those kinds of weights.

If any of you can post links to videos where the dogs are clearly enjoying the activity, I'd be interested in seeing them please. What I have seen so far doesn't paint this "sport" in a very positive light.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 10:56 AM
I knew I'd find it somewhere. In 1855 it became law that dogs were not allowed to be used as beasts of burden so I wonder if weight pulling competitions are actually legal! I know you have to get a permit to use rigs with dogs.
Becky
tiago
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2007, 11:15 AM
It's not illegal,

evie i did'nt say you said it was cruel and i agree that everyone has their own oppinion. My point is untill you have read books, looked for info on the internet, looked at alot of video's and witnessed dogs doing it i dont think people can say it's cruel. Im sure their are dogs out there that dont want to do it but owners make them but there are alot of dogs ou there that love it.
Page 11 of 22 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »