register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-06-2013, 10:26 AM
I was with Petplan for years when I had horses and the call centre staff were absolutely wonderful and I am only not with them now because I have 4 girlies and it would be far too expensive. I am with VetsMediCover now and all my dealings with them so far have been good experiences.
All my puppies are sold with 4 weeks free petplan insurance as I truly believe they are one of the better ones.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-06-2013, 10:27 AM
I can't see any reason not to ring pet plan have a chat and see what they have to say. Then make a decision on how the call goes.
Maybe ring a few others too.

It can't be any worse than it already is.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Megsy View Post
When I had a similar thing, the questions I was asked were:

How long have you had the dog?
Has the dog done this before?
What measures have you got in place to keep your dog secure?
Does the dog have any history of this sort of behaviour either with you or any previous owner?

Put all this in your appeal to demonstrate the freak nature of the accident.
Absolutely! It is almost totally irrelevant how high the wall was - the crucial points are:

a) did Danielle have any previous knowledge that her bitch was a jumper - with or without provocation.

b) had Danielle any previous knowledge or experience of a similar breed or type of dog jumping at or over the wall.

If she can honestly answer no, then she should be covered and my advice would be to pursue the matter with the insurance company if they are demonstrating any intransigence.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by harley quinn View Post
I have no idea how high my dobermann can jump, due to the fact that none of them have jumped before, if i had any knowledge or experience then yes i could be in the wrong. In my defense i believed with the wall, and the fact she was supervised was reasonable.
My insurance policy doesn't specify a wall height, so what would be classed as reasonable? surely it would be open to debate?

Danielle xx
Exactly!! This is the key point - you had NO IDEA that your dobermann COULD jump. Or would jump, given provocation. Just like me with my Ben - I had NO IDEA that he could or would jump over a 4 foot fence with a massive drop the other side. Now I know, our garden fencing is like Fort Knox!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
If you dont try you never know so my vote is appeal.

Take photographs of the wall
reiterate that none of your previous dogs were jumpers
you werent aware Harley was
you werent aware of the wall being damaged (would you have let a child play in the garden if you were?)
the dog was not left unsupervised

Nothing ventured nothing gained! Good luck xxxx
Very sensible suggestions Dobermonkey
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I think from what I have heard about AF (all negative) I feel the outcome would have been the same regardless of the situation. I have never heard good reports about them.

Not correct - we had a very similar situation with our Ben, and our insurance company were spot on. I cannot actually remember who they are - I think Tesco. There was never any doubt that they would not pay next door's vet costs. They questioned us as to the history of the dog, his type, and the thing they were most interested in of all was the fact that Ben's father who was far more athletic than Ben, and Ben's half brother who was a supreme athlete and jumper, had never even attempted to jump out. Danielle should absolutely challenge her insurance company, she has done nothing wrong, and they are totally out of order.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
For some reason best known to themselves Animal Friends will not insure Utonagan, now Petplan and virtually every other insurance company will, but not Animal Friends. I have emailed them twice asking for a reason, never had a reply, been waiting over 2 years for one actually, because someone from there was on here bragging about what an excellent company were, their ethics, blah blah blah, doesn't extend to customer service then does it? I even asked on the thread that Animal Friends were on, still no answer.
I feel Gnasher is correct in what she says, as a friend of hers I well remember the incident with Ben scaling the fence and all the repercussions, and their insurance did pay out, because Gnasher and her OH could not reasonably have expected Ben to scale the fence as none of their other dogs had, and Utonagan are real escapalogists!!!

Yup! thanks TW for that - I think we were with Tesco, can't remember, but the underwriters rang OH, discussed all the facts, asked for photos, letters etc. etc. We never had a moment's worry that we would have to shell out any spondoolies - over and above the excess of course.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by harley quinn View Post
Just a quick update, i have been in touch with the vet, who were great, and are going to work out a payment plan for me, then if i'm successful with the insurance appeal the vet will send me a cheque for the amount they originally claimed for, £2,511.
Does anybody know if i will be able to change insurance companies now Harley has 3 legs?
Once again, thank you all very much for taking the time to reply
Danielle xx
You can of course - but the premium could be potentially very high and loaded - for instance, with her now having only 3 legs, if she had problems with the cruciate ligment in one of her 3 legs, which may well be completely unrelated to the fact that she only has 3 legs, nevertheless it would give them the excuse to be able to wriggle out of paying vets' fees. I think my advice would be to have a savings policy into which you can put money as and when for a rainy day.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Nothing stopping you changing insurance companies, but as with any change ALL pre existing conditions will be taken into account on further claims, that will include anything that is on record with your vets, but given the reputation of AF, I would think any future claims will be rejected for one reason or another anyway, so nothing really lost if you do move.

I changed from the KC to Tesco, yrs ago when my old boy reached 8 yrs, due to the hike in premiums, I have nothing but good reports for them , they pay out promptly with no fuss.
If I'm right and it was Tesco we were with when Ben attacked next door's lab, yes I totally agree, they are excellent.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I was with Petplan for years when I had horses and the call centre staff were absolutely wonderful and I am only not with them now because I have 4 girlies and it would be far too expensive. I am with VetsMediCover now and all my dealings with them so far have been good experiences.
All my puppies are sold with 4 weeks free petplan insurance as I truly believe they are one of the better ones.
I have always considered them to be the Rolls Royce of the dog insurance world. They are great and certainly they are less expensive comparatively than they used to be, but they are still more costly than Tesco, Sainsburys etc.
Page 11 of 13 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 >