Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
What , you don't know???? both my Boxers who are castrated and spayed shed their coat for England, compared to some of my friends dogs who are not.
Now who has claws?

I was asking how you knew so much about dogs coats. Now I know.

Re the boxers---why should I know? I know a bit about the breeds who I have had staying and a bit more about breeds I have owned. I don't have experience (much) of boxers.

To me the coats look like pointer coats and the general concensus seems to be that they get cold in the wet. That doesn't seem very practical to me for a working gundog.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Now who has claws?I was asking how you knew so much about dogs coats. Now I know.

Re the boxers---why should I know? I know a bit about the breeds who I have had staying and a bit more about breeds I have owned. I don't have experience (much) of boxers.

To me the coats look like pointer coats and the general concensus seems to be that they get cold in the wet. That doesn't seem very practical to me for a working gundog.

rune
Just giving back as one receives

I guess the same can be asked back, how do you know so much about dogs coats???

Regards the pointer as its not a breed required to retrieve from water , why would it have a double coat, the clues in the name so I guess practicality prevails for that type of gundog...although the short coated breeds of gun dogs I know personally have a completely different texture to their coats than Boxers... they have a very oil based coat... where as mine don't. as they where not designed to be out in the depths of the shooting seasons inclement weathers.

And yes, Boxers being short coated get cold in the winter , hence I put coats on mine
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Just giving back as one receives

I guess the same can be asked back, how do you know so much about dogs coats???

Regards the pointer as its not a breed required to retrieve from water , why would it have a double coat, the clues in the name so I guess practicality prevails for that type of gundog...although the short coated breeds of gun dogs I know personally have a completely different texture to their coats than Boxers... they have a very oil based coat... where as mine don't. as they where not designed to be out in the depths of the shooting seasons inclement weathers.

And yes, Boxers being short coated get cold in the winter , hence I put coats on mine
I just told you how much I know----once again the british education system fails!

Do you think a dog working in the field all day doesn't get wet through?

Heigh ho----I am off out now with my springer----and as it is raining and she gets wet and then cold I will put a coat on her!

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I just told you how much I know----once again the british education system fails!

Do you think a dog working in the field all day doesn't get wet through?

Did I say that??? maybe you should take on board your own observation of the education system???
Heigh ho----I am off out now with my springer----and as it is raining and she gets wet and then cold I will put a coat on her!
rune
I am sure she will appreciate that!!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Decided to do the 'fridge first!

You wrote

"Regards the pointer as its not a breed required to retrieve from water , why would it have a double coat, the clues in the name so I guess practicality prevails for that type of gundog..."

I read that as the pointer NOT needing a waterproof coat. Can you explain what you meant please?

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Decided to do the 'fridge first!

You wrote

"Regards the pointer as its not a breed required to retrieve from water , why would it have a double coat, the clues in the name so I guess practicality prevails for that type of gundog..."

I read that as the pointer NOT needing a waterproof coat. Can you explain what you meant please?

rune
Sorry, if you read my post wrong, thats not what I said you mentioned undercoats , then Pointers....as a pointer is not a retriever or needs to enter water to do its job, it has not need for an double coat... nowhere did I say it has not got a water resistant coat

Unless , you think only a double coated dog has a water resistant coat... then I can see why you got confused over my post??
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
But again, the post isn't about should I/shouldn't I have castrated him, as you say it's done now. All I need to know is the best way to manage his coat to make sure that he doesn't suffer in any way. After all, that is my only priority.

I've ordered a furminator and in the summer will take him to our local groomers to see what they suggest. They breed cockers so should hopefully have some knowledge on this issue.
have you had ago just pulling the fluffy bits out?
Thats what i do to flynns head, sort of take hold pull down & up. If not im sure the cocker people will show you how!

As long as you ensure hes properally dryed after a swim & hes not swimming for hours on end, i cant see it causing too much damage. Swimming is a exercise all dogs enjoy of varying coat types!!!!
If you are running him between swims on a walk im sure that will warm him up anyway.
Just have a large towel/ equiflleece fr the car on the journey home.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
have you had ago just pulling the fluffy bits out?
Thats what i do to flynns head, sort of take hold pull down & up. If not im sure the cocker people will show you how!

As long as you ensure hes properally dryed after a swim & hes not swimming for hours on end, i cant see it causing too much damage. Swimming is a exercise all dogs enjoy of varying coat types!!!!
If you are running him between swims on a walk im sure that will warm him up anyway.
Just have a large towel/ equiflleece fr the car on the journey home.
I agree , I am sure Pidge will monitor when he can and cant swim..again Woody loves his swimming , I would never suggest he did not continue..
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2010, 11:21 AM
I think every dog/owner/situation is so different it has to be whatever is right for them in the circumstances.

I don't like to generalise anything as there are always exceptions. i do know that castration changes behaviour and makes life easier for the dog and the owner.

I tend to go on the basis of not mending what isn't broken so if all is OK then leave it, if not consider castration as it often does help and rarely changes things for the worse (although I have known it to).

I have done it early, late and in between and had differerent experiences with all of them so I go with the flow now.

Same with spaying, Etta would have had a season before being done but having an anesthetic anyway it seemed sensible to do it then. I await the development of her coat with interest----if she fluffs up Tassle has a job for the next few years!

rune
it is personal choice, i know one lady who always has her bitches done before the hormones kick in.Not something i like personally or i would do with mine (all things being equal)

Pidge just did what was best for her situ, im not critising, personally if he was "my" dog i wouldnt have had him done at that age. That said he IS a very masculine looking dog.

If i buy a dog i just want it to look as good as it can do, esp in its head & body construction, i want all the hormones in , i want all the confidence & attitude before start taking thingsaway . But that isnt everybodys prioties.

Castration has improved flynns concentration & application in away that all the training in the world never did/could & hes a "happier" dog i think ( as in "happy go lucky ")

Anyway, rambling on now.....sorry Pidge!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Sorry, if you read my post wrong, thats not what I said you mentioned undercoats , then Pointers....as a pointer is not a retriever or needs to enter water to do its job, it has not need for an double coat... nowhere did I say it has not got a water resistant coat

Unless , you think only a double coated dog has a water resistant coat... then I can see why you got confused over my post??
Pointers don't have water resistant coats----the deaf pup and his rellies don't and someone else said their one didn't either.

That was what I was referring to!

rune
Page 11 of 14 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >