Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by oldshep52 View Post
just a shame that 90% of the springers out there are from Working lines, its quiet rare to see a show type as a pet,

That, does surprise me!
But oh so true, of the 4 springer owners that come to mind straight away on this forum I have 4 from working Lines, Pidge's Woody is from Working lines, Valhandra's Pepsi is from working lines, the only one from Show lines is Rips Isla.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
stiches are out by 10-14 days!! not much rest needed either once the g.a's out of the system! (traumatic,whilst asleep and with painkillers )
in 18 years of nursing we have never needed to take a tail off of a 'working' breed through damage working!! lots of labs tho,just for being happy!!
I can only go on the experience's that i have had, and when we have had to have the tails amputated the vets that have done it have said 2 - 3 weeks rest to allow it to heal properly, before they go tearing through the countryside at 300miles an hr, just like a springer does
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Once again, I am thankful that "my breed" (Border Collie) is not docked, traditionally. When my Snorri-dog was still alive, there was nothing better than to take him for a walk and watch him surging along dry ditches after rats, his tail like a black-and-white banner, fluttering above the long grass to mark his progress in his quest to rid the area of "mousies"! (He only ever caught one, and that was a joint effort with Kali). The highlight was the billowing tail.

I have always thought that one of the world's best sights was that of a Border Collie "in full flight", tail streaming out behind it, assisting the dog in tight cornering.

No docking, thanks - and not just for BCs.

Snorri
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by oldshep52 View Post
JackBox, you are very clearly talking about a type of Boxer that I have never met or that my Uncle never owned!
Yep they do suprise you m dont they!!
Boxacrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
You`d be surprised at how adaptable they are at turning a paw to any job they are given.

Look back in their history, they were very much a working dog, used in the armed forces, they have been used a police dogs, and even have been known to work as assistance dog (guide dogs)

They are very adaptable, dont let the goofy looks and bouncy personality fool you
I even knew of a chap that used to use his Boxers on shooting days he said they were better behaved and worked better than his working bred lab on the shoot.

I know of some that are currently training for working trials in the UK at the moment.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
But oh so true, of the 4 springer owners that come to mind straight away on this forum I have 4 from working Lines, Pidge's Woody is from Working lines, Valhandra's Pepsi is from working lines, the only one from Show lines is Rips Isla.
Yey, we're famous at last!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 05:27 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Yey, we're famous at last!
How can Isla not be famous
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 01:58 PM
I have no strong view either way about the docking or otherwise of dogs tails. The only stipulation for me would be that, if docked, it should be done as early as possible with pain relief given where necessary.

Personally I do prefer the look of some docked breeds - rotties, dobes, springers and GWPs for example, but as I will never own these breeds then I won't get hot under the collar about the subject

Just to say to Snorri - that the tail of a working border collie should be held low, as it is thought the tail is an indicator of what is going on in the brain - and the more "flyaway" the tail, the less serious the dog. I don't know how true this is, but I rarely see a working sheepdog with a tail held high. But I know you were discussing pet BCs, so a tail held high usually just means the dog is having lots of fun
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
I know this isn't just about Boxers, my Dobes wagged their little stumps and did the wiggle dance as well, but not quite as mad as a Boxer does the wiggle.
Plus you have to take into account when docking was first done hundreds of years ago what the reason behind the docking was, the gundogs were docked so as not to damage their tails, Dobermann's were docked from the creation of the breed, as they were classed as a working dog and people didnt pay tax on a working dog.
And just to be pedantic...Non of my Dobermanns tails were chopped off.. they were banded ( by a council of docked breeds vet), same way the farmers band the sheeps tails, which btw I think is still legal for farmers.
but it doesnt matter what it was originally done for, many dogs now have their tails docked when they are pets... therefore no reason to dock.

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
It isn't a good idea to rely on just one part of the dog's body to try and work out what they are feeling. For example, did you know that a slow wag can have the opposite meaning...so you need to look at their head and their general stance as well.

Docked tails can be as expressive - in fact depending on the individual dog, more so - I find Stumpy's tail more expressive than Hoki's (though I'm not saying that tails should be docked for that reason!)
i dont just look at tail, i try to look at everything especially now i have jake. but i think the tail is an extremely important part in it.

if jakes sees a person or dog, his head looks really seriously and, tbh, not too friendly (and his stance is the same), he gets really fixated on them but i know he is just interested and wants to say hello, and while he is doing this his tail is wagging at 100mph. and when he meets the person or dog, he immediately wants to play. i think, he is just trying to suss them out to know if its same etc. tbh, if i saw a dog acting how he does, i would think they were aggressive but i know jake isnt... you cant just look at one thing, you need to see them all together... including the tail IMO
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2009, 12:22 PM
I've had afew dogs over the years, a BCx lakeland terrier who had his tail curled over his back, A mini schnauzer who was undocked and had a gorgeous tail and this week we got our boxer. I would never have any dog of mine docked. I can sort of see and argument for working dogs but I really liked the comment about builders thumbs...sorry can't remember who said it. From an asthetic point of view in my book someone having a tail docked for vanity is no different to some bimbo having their boobs done except the bimbo is making their own choice!!! I respect that everyone has their own view and mine is...some dogs are born with tails and some are born without and they are all beautiful so why mess and mutilate with it for the sake of 'I think it looks better'. I love Stanleys tail, its like a waggy magic wand with its little white tip!!!
If you married someone and decided they'd look better with one leg, would you chop one off?? Just a thought.
Page 11 of 14 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >