Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
I dont think it is fair what so ever so have a rescue dog on a trial basis have they not been through enough and to me shows a lack of commitment by the potential adopters.

I mean who has a pedigree pup from a breeder on a weeks trial??????? Rescues arent second class you know?

I prefer rescues as you get the finished article whereas buying a pup you could end up with anything. Like I did with my pedigree springer, awful recall and nearly killed other dogs.
It isn't a lack of commitment at all, it's a reality check. Most rescue dogs are older and therefore for US it will be harder to settle a rescue into our 'pack' than it would be a pup. I know my dogs both love pups and are very good with them so no, I wouldn't return a pup after a week, but I would certainly expect a breeder to take it back after a week if the need arose and I know breeders who have done exactly that. I wouldn't touch a pup from a breeder who didn't insist the dog was returned to them should anything happen. I now consider Cosmo's breeder a friend.

My dogs will find it much more difficult having a young adult male enter the house. Biff is old and sore Cosmo is young, male and bouncy and it just might not work out, it might...but there is a chance it might not. Part of the reson for getting this dog is canine company, not only for us, but also for Cosmo and so the relationship between the rescue and him is actually pivotal to whether or not the rehoming goes ahead and if it does if it is a sucess. As I have posted earlier in this thread, Biff and Mo did not like each other very much and I do not want to be put in that position again so yes, I am wary of the rehoming and I am not prepared to totally commit until I know for sure that it isn't going to happen with Cosmo and the new addition.

It could be that we get a pup and they won't get on. I think that is less likely as we have introduced many pups into our pack over the years and we will make sure that we introduce them carefully.

This is not a lack of commitment by potential adopters, this is about ensuring that this is the right decision,not only for us, but for the dog concerned as we do not want to bounce him back to the rescue in 2 months with things having not worked out in the pack. I think we are being responsible and checking out every angle and every possiblility before commiting to a 15 year relationship with this dog...it isn't a lack of commitment it is making sure making the commitment is right for everyone.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 06:33 PM
I dont think it is fair what so ever so have a rescue dog on a trial basis have they not been through enough and to me shows a lack of commitment by the potential adopters.

I mean who has a pedigree pup from a breeder on a weeks trial??????? Rescues arent second class you know?

I prefer rescues as you get the finished article whereas buying a pup you could end up with anything. Like I did with my pedigree springer, awful recall and nearly killed other dogs.
I didn't say rescues were second class either.
I don't get cross often on here, but your post has made me quite cross, This thread is now 11 pages long as I churn over every angle and possibility before I make a 15 year commitment to a dog that needs a home, something I do not do lightly and so to be told that I am showing a lack of commitment by requesting a trial foster period is pretty insulting, I have a child, an elderly dog and young dog to consider in all of this and I HAVE to put them first.

ETA: When researching and getting a pedigree pup I spent hours speaking to people, deciding on the rightb 'lines' (for no other reason than cancer is a problem in the breed) and finding the 'right' breeder...I ensured it was a god time to introduce a pup and looked at the situation from every angle possible.....just as I am doing now with this rescue.
phil2009
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
It isn't a lack of commitment at all, it's a reality check. Most rescue dogs are older and therefore for US it will be harder to settle a rescue into our 'pack' than it would be a pup. I know my dogs both love pups and are very good with them so no, I wouldn't return a pup after a week, but I would certainly expect a breeder to take it back after a week if the need arose and I know breeders who have done exactly that. I wouldn't touch a pup from a breeder who didn't insist the dog was returned to them should anything happen. I now consider Cosmo's breeder a friend.

My dogs will find it much more difficult having a young adult male enter the house. Biff is old and sore Cosmo is young, male and bouncy and it just might not work out, it might...but there is a chance it might not. Part of the reson for getting this dog is canine company, not only for us, but also for Cosmo and so the relationship between the rescue and him is actually pivotal to whether or not the rehoming goes ahead and if it does if it is a sucess. As I have posted earlier in this thread, Biff and Mo did not like each other very much and I do not want to be put in that position again so yes, I am wary of the rehoming and I am not prepared to totally commit until I know for sure that it isn't going to happen with Cosmo and the new addition.

It could be that we get a pup and they won't get on. I think that is less likely as we have introduced many pups into our pack over the years and we will make sure that we introduce them carefully.

This is not a lack of commitment by potential adopters, this is about ensuring that this is the right decision,not only for us, but for the dog concerned as we do not want to bounce him back to the rescue in 2 months with things having not worked out in the pack. I think we are being responsible and checking out every angle and every possiblility before commiting to a 15 year relationship with this dog...it isn't a lack of commitment it is making sure making the commitment is right for everyone.
hi rambel
i comp agree with what u say that its not a lack of commitment by potential adopters at all and i think its a dam good idea to have a trial. im very anoyed at kcjack for sayin what they have and i comp dis agree with them. and like u sead its a 15 to 20 year relationship with a dog and since u have anuther dog it would of been the best way to see how they get on by havein a trial.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by phil2009 View Post
hi rambel
i comp agree with what u say that its not a lack of commitment by potential adopters at all and i think its a dam good idea to have a trial. im very anoyed at kcjack for sayin what they have and i comp dis agree with them. and like u sead its a 15 to 20 year relationship with a dog and since u have anuther dog it would of been the best way to see how they get on by havein a trial.
Thankyou Phil 2009.
phil2009
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-02-2009, 07:36 PM
was it to day the meeting for a 2nd time
phil2009
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-02-2009, 07:37 PM
or have i got it rong.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Today he met my old dog, Biff. Biff doesn't much like other dogs when he is on the lead, so they walked together with Biff ahead (Onlead) and the Mr C onlead behind, then they stopped and said hi. They were fine and the rescue were going to leave it at that but my oH insited they meet offlead. The resue wouldn't let Mr C offlead incase he knocked Biff over, but Biff was offlead...not realistic because Mr C won't be onlead in the house will he????
Tomorrow is second mad mutt meeting
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Quite frankly I am not concerned if I annoyed you, you asked for opinions so I gave you mine. Rescues should not be loaned out to potential homes on a trial and error basis.
If you are concerned then you take your dogs to meet the rescue on neatral ground.
What if a perfect home came up whilst you were loaning your rescue only to return him/her?
And if you are having so many doubts then its obviously not right.
If you buy a pedigree will you be asking the breeder if you can have it on a months trial by the way??????
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Quite frankly I am not concerned if I annoyed you, you asked for opinions so I gave you mine. Rescues should not be loaned out to potential homes on a trial and error basis.
If you are concerned then you take your dogs to meet the rescue on neatral ground.
What if a perfect home came up whilst you were loaning your rescue only to return him/her?
And if you are having so many doubts then its obviously not right.
If you buy a pedigree will you be asking the breeder if you can have it on a months trial by the way??????
I can sort of see where you are coming from, but your attitude does nothing whatsoever to persuade people that rescue is the right way to go - quite the opposite in fact (but perhaps you don't care about that either).

And I don't agree that having doubts means it isn't right. I had doubts before taking on each of my rescues - it just means that we are thinking about it properly unlike the 'oh isn't he cute, I soooo want him and just have to him' brigade.

Lets face it, those not prepared to make a serious commitment will either dump the dog back at rescue or pass it on anyway, so the trial period makes no difference to them.

It is specifically aimed at consciencious potential adopters, just like Ramble, who:
  • would make an excellent home
  • have never taken on a rescue dog
  • have heard some horror stories of 'rescue dogs gone wrong'
  • have commitments to others such as children and existing pets

and therefore just want some comfort that if an issue arises which could not have been foreseen beforehand and which they do not feel able to cope with, they will be able to bring the dog back.

Evidently you do not know Ramble or you would never suggest that she would have a lack of commitment to any of her pets.
rottiedad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-02-2009, 09:21 AM
take my lot then u have dilema lol
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 23 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »