Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
She is a friend, yes, so I guess that would make a difference, however she did give all the other buyers a choice as well.
Ok thanks ,but she would be unusual to give buyers a choice. not many breeders would take the chance of being left with tailed dogs .
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

Its unusual for a vet to dock in their surgery.... for political From what I understand it is all very hush hush, you phone the CDB and they put you in touch with a ve tin your area, who doe sit, and them a meeting place is arranged for you to take the pups, could be a surgery out of hrs, or a safe house..

Surely it shouldn;t matter where it is done - the paper work has to be signed by the person who does the docking for the new owners to take.

I have a friend who looked for 2 years to get an undocked min poodle, she offered to put down the full price of the pup before it was born and no-one would do it

Luckily for her, someon in agility bred a litter and wasn;t going to dock any so she got the dog of her dreams
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Justout of interest, did she take them to her own vet to be docked,

or did she go through the council of docked breeds to get them docked...

Its unusual for a vet to dock in their surgery.... for political reasons..

From what I understand it is all very hush hush, you phone the CDB and they put you in touch with a ve tin your area, who doe sit, and them a meeting place is arranged for you to take the pups, could be a surgery out of hrs, or a safe house.

I know my friend after the first time she had a litter done, the vet would come to her home, and she would speak to him direct instead of going through the CDB..

Just thought it would be interesting to see how others have gone about it.
As I understand it, our 2 local vet surgeries wouldn't do it, so she contacted the CDB who put her in touch with the nearest vet who would dock - an hours drive away.

It was done in the surgery, in opening hours, but as an early evening appointment (the kind I end up booking anyway).
mandydog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-10-2008, 04:30 PM
This is exactly what I mean by mindless "breed standard". No one is allowed to think for themselves and ask for what they want.

Desperately sad.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

21-10-2008, 04:40 PM
That's fine, we all have preferences....Personally if the docking ban was reversed tomorrow I would buy a docked dog. as I love my docked breeds, I make no apologies for it either.

you would have been hard pressed to find a breeder to leave a tail on one puppy, at the request of a potential purchaser..

Can I ask why it would matter so much to you, is it just the looks?

I ask because I cannot really see the difference in docking for looks and cropping for looks but most seem against cropping?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

21-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Can I ask why it would matter so much to you, is it just the looks?
Not sure what you mean by it would matter to me??

But if you want to know why I am pro docking, its simple I like the look ... it is what I am used to... if given the choice I would buy a docked pup any day..but as I dont have the choice ,then I will buy one with a tail, and eventually get used to them

Originally Posted by spot View Post
I ask because I cannot really see the difference in docking for looks and cropping for looks but most seem against cropping?
There is a huge difference between docking and cropping...docking is done at 3/4 days old, when a puppies nervous system is not yet fully formed... yes puppies squeal when they are docked but they also squeal when they are picked up, when they go for their first injections.

Here is a little article , if you want to read it..granted it is yrs old,
http://www.cdb.org/vets/fritsch.htm

Cropping is not performed till the pups are around 12 wks old, or even older, it is major surgery, the whole procedure takes mths from beginning to end, with endless dressing changes, pain relief for the pups.

Done well it looks stunning, down badly it looks awful, and badly most will be the later.... a lot of trouble and pain for pups to get poor results.

I
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Justout of interest, did she take them to her own vet to be docked,

or did she go through the council of docked breeds to get them docked...

Its unusual for a vet to dock in their surgery.... for political reasons..

From what I understand it is all very hush hush, you phone the CDB and they put you in touch with a ve tin your area, who doe sit, and them a meeting place is arranged for you to take the pups, could be a surgery out of hrs, or a safe house.

I know my friend after the first time she had a litter done, the vet would come to her home, and she would speak to him direct instead of going through the CDB..

Just thought it would be interesting to see how others have gone about it.
dont think I would have done it at all if the vet had said meet me at a safe house.. yes I was a member of the CDB.. which I paid for each year.. but no way would I have gone anywhere but the vets surgery to have it done... it wasnt really to bad... though the CDB.. does ask that you do not disclose the vet that does your tails...

I have to say the vet that did mine... didnt seem to stressed about it.. he also done many breeders tails who were not a member of the CDB..
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

21-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
dont think I would have done it at all if the vet had said meet me at a safe house.. yes I was a member of the CDB.. which I paid for each year.. but no way would I have gone anywhere but the vets surgery to have it done... it wasnt really to bad... though the CDB.. does ask that you do not disclose the vet that does your tails...

I have to say the vet that did mine... didnt seem to stressed about it.. he also done many breeders tails who were not a member of the CDB..
Maybe it is all down to the vet involved, the one who does or did it locally, will not do it at his surgery... if he knows you he will go to your home, if not he will ask you to meet him at an address.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Maybe it is all down to the vet involved, the one who does or did it locally, will not do it at his surgury... if he knows you he will go to your home, if not he will ask you to meet him at an address.
oooer sounds like a drug deal going on.... though I know there is a fair bit of C&Dagger when it came to docking... quite sad really...

lets face it... even when doing it the right way...eg a vet.. you have to feel like a crim...

ETA: I would only have considered having it done at the surgery.. that way if something went wrong.. the vet has everything he needed to help the pup...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

21-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
oooer sounds like a drug deal going on.... though I know there is a fair bit of C&Dagger when it came to docking... quite sad really...

lets face it... even when doing it the right way...eg a vet.. you have to feel like a crim...

ETA: I would only have considered having it done at the surgery.. that way if something went wrong.. the vet has everything he needed to help the pup...
LOL!!! yep, but sadly it is the sign of the times, even vets who do it legally have to watch their back.
Page 11 of 23 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »