Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
My husband is a stay at home carer and is home most of the time so crating would only be necessary when we're out and at night.
He will also only be muzzled when we're out walking him.
I would still be looking at quality of life for him, in a multidog household.
I would get a behaviourist in to assess it and take him to a vet. That's just me though. I would want to know what was going on with him. He has killed twice. I know you love him to bits but not wanting to lose him because you have already lost a couple of dogs in a few months may not actually be helping him.

It is early days and it will take a while for what has happened to fully sink in I am sure. I just think that sometimes we need to look at our situation and assess it through the dogs eyes.

My heart goes out to you. Horrid thing to happen. I am so sorry.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
He has killed twice.
I wouldnt saying killing the cat had any bearing on this at all as i know Cassie would kill a cat in a heart beat.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 01:07 PM
I have read this thread and thought it over and over of what the 'right' thing would be to do, and still have no clue, I only know that it would be utterly devastating. What to do next is up to you, what I would do is not relevant, because it isn't me who has to make the choice.
You and your hubby have been through a traumatic experience and in time you will make the right decision for you and your dog.
In all fairness, the welfare of your dog/s and your own, need to be taken into account. I feel it very responsible not to palm the dog off to someone else to deal with and the learning curve on this one is huge and has brought sadness with it.
I wish you and your hubby the best and know that guilt can be a terrible friend and really I don't see how you should hold any guilt, you could not possible have imagined this happening or you would have prevented it and that is the main thing, it was a random act that came out of no where.
My thoughts are with you and your OH at this terrible time xxxx
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I applaud your decision to keep Danny on and manage the problem.

I believe it's what I would have done were I in the same situation.

Losing a dog is heartbreaking, no matter what the circumstances, and to add another loss "voluntarily", as it were, is just completely alien to me.

My heart goes out to you, Zoe, and also to your hubby, who must be haunted with what greeted him......
I also think Vicki has summed it up well, you're doing the right thing Zoe I am sure of that.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I would still be looking at quality of life for him, in a multidog household.
I would get a behaviourist in to assess it and take him to a vet. That's just me though. I would want to know what was going on with him. He has killed twice. I know you love him to bits but not wanting to lose him because you have already lost a couple of dogs in a few months may not actually be helping him.

It is early days and it will take a while for what has happened to fully sink in I am sure. I just think that sometimes we need to look at our situation and assess it through the dogs eyes.

My heart goes out to you. Horrid thing to happen. I am so sorry.
Hal killed 5 chickens in his lifetime, a hare, several wild rabbits and a couple of pheasants. So what? He was following his instincts. you are somehow implying that because this dog has killed twice, it is a criminal! It's not at all, would you condemn a cat who killed the family budgie, parrot, pet rat, or mouse? No, it would just be described as the cat following his instinct.

I get extremely annoyed when our dogs behave as the animals that they are, and then get castigated for it. It is NATURAL for them to chase sheep, chickens, rabbits, cats - and yes, even kill them. It is up to us to train them not to. I personally can NEVER let my 2 off near livestock - I can stop Tai chasing them, but only if I stop him before he has made the break. Ben I have no idea, and I do not want to find out.

The tragedy of this story is not that the cat was killed, but that this caused Dan and his family to lose trust in their dog. I am not blaming them, they cannot help how they feel, but to me this is the tragedy - that they think that because the dog killed the cat and a rabbit, this means it could harm the baby - illogical IMO, but lost trust is lost trust, and by rehoming the dog to a good, understanding home they must be doing the right thing.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 02:04 PM
O gosh I am so sorry, I have got my threads muddled up and posted the wrong message on the wrong thread - senior moment, please forgive!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm so glad you decided to try to work through this with Danny.

I can only offer hugs and best wishes, I hope you guys can get through this and I think you are wonderful to keep going with Danny.

xx
Greyhoundlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2011, 02:32 PM
I am so terribly sorry to hear about Bessie , I can only imagine what you must be going through.

We help with a number of rescues, and a number of years ago, had to pick 6 greyhounds up from a family with 9, as the neighbours had complained. The day before we took the first 3, the lady had a similar experience, where her normally placid grey, attacked one of her others, and acting on pack instinct, the rest piled in. It would appear the dog that was attacked had had a fit due to a brain tumour.

Danny was only acting on instinct too, and although I know our dogs are our "family", we sometimes forget they are dogs, that act on their natural instincts.

I wish you the best of luck, in your decision with Danny, and our thoughts will be with you.

Run free Bessie.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Thankyou Lore xx

Originally Posted by Ramble
"He has killed twice".

Jenny, Guinness and Otis would all kill a cat if they could. A lot of dogs would. They just haven't had the opportunity and I have learned from the time Danny killed one.
Yes Danny has killed a cat and my Bessie but it has happened and we're dealing with it.
His quality of life will not change much. He's never really been allowed off lead, he's slept in a crate before and gets in it with the door open when we're sat there...because he chooses to, not because we make him. The only real change will be wearing the muzzle when we're out walking.
Danny will never change...he is what he is and I accept that. Humans trained him to be this way. When we got him 3 years ago he thrived living with our other dogs. He was very depressed before.
If we were to rehome him he would still need to be muzzled and walked on the lead. He wouldn't like being an only dog.
Graham is home nearly all day and most days he's is home all day.
I only work 3 days a week so I'm home for 4. He's not often left alone. Unfortunately he was left alone for 20 mins and this happened.
I love my dogs with all my heart. I will do anything for them and when I took Danny on..it was for life and that's what it will be.
I cannot say he won't be aggressive to any of my other dogs again but I can say that I will do my utmost to stop this tragedy from happening again.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
Thankyou Lore xx

Originally Posted by Ramble
"He has killed twice".

Jenny, Guinness and Otis would all kill a cat if they could. A lot of dogs would. They just haven't had the opportunity and I have learned from the time Danny killed one.
Yes Danny has killed a cat and my Bessie but it has happened and we're dealing with it.
His quality of life will not change much. He's never really been allowed off lead, he's slept in a crate before and gets in it with the door open when we're sat there...because he chooses to, not because we make him. The only real change will be wearing the muzzle when we're out walking.
Danny will never change...he is what he is and I accept that. Humans trained him to be this way. When we got him 3 years ago he thrived living with our other dogs. He was very depressed before.
If we were to rehome him he would still need to be muzzled and walked on the lead. He wouldn't like being an only dog.
Graham is home nearly all day and most days he's is home all day.
I only work 3 days a week so I'm home for 4. He's not often left alone. Unfortunately he was left alone for 20 mins and this happened.
I love my dogs with all my heart. I will do anything for them and when I took Danny on..it was for life and that's what it will be.
I cannot say he won't be aggressive to any of my other dogs again but I can say that I will do my utmost to stop this tragedy from happening again.
hun..i just wanted to say i admire you

what lucky dogs you have xxx
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 21 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »