View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2010, 10:12 AM
What gets me is that these poodle crosses are getting to the ridiculous stage. I have just looked through 9pages of poodle adverts and amsad to see Poodles crossed with Bichons, Cockers, Springers, Cavaliers, Patterdales, Pomeranians, Shih Tzus, Lhasa Apsos, Jack Russells and Tibetan Terriers and they all have been given a poo name not such and such x such and such So imo all sales tactics and jumping on the Poo market Jeez
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
You are missing the point - we are NOT saying they are a breed, I said that some people use it as an easy term knowing that MOST people understand that they are NOT saying it is a breed, just using the term for ease....
All breeding is done for financial gain imo. They do actually live up to the claims of a good family pet - that is obvious by the amount of them as family pets - although there are always to odd exception to the rule with any species of dog. Any breeder who advertises that they are non shedding are stupid and bad in my opinion, although Ruby does not shed at all and Dyson does a bit some do shed a great deal- strangely enough usually the ones that look more Poodlish with the curly coats for some reason. As for your comments about having so much Poodle in the mix, theyare as already said, usually the ones that do shed; ours and probably 80% of the ones I have met and seen pics of are more Lab than Poodle and that was one of the criteria we chose when looking for Ruby that we didn't want one that looked like a Poodle because we do not like that look. We agreed we love the woollyback, scruffy coat with more of a Labrador stance, size, shape etc. Our choice as we said. Our choice is not to have a Poodle.
Ali, thankyou for explaining my position too - you tend to explain it a lot better than I do
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
Ali, thankyou for explaining my position too - you tend to explain it a lot better than I do
Oops sorry did I imply it was your position too? I get carried away at times and apologise if I got it wrong - it wasn't intentional - I may have got it right this time but shouldn't be doing that.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
What gets me is that these poodle crosses are getting to the ridiculous stage. I have just looked through 9pages of poodle adverts and amsad to see Poodles crossed with Bichons, Cockers, Springers, Cavaliers, Patterdales, Pomeranians, Shih Tzus, Lhasa Apsos, Jack Russells and Tibetan Terriers and they all have been given a poo name not such and such x such and such So imo all sales tactics and jumping on the Poo market Jeez
I have to agree here to a degree... from a dog crossed to help disabled people ie: Labradoodle and the Cockapoo things have gone to the extreme just for making a quick buck and too many people have got on the bandwagon; the silly names that people just seem to be making up to add £££ to the price ie: Schnoodle, Puggle, Jackadoo, might explain the cross but that is why the "designer name" has come about sadly. It is true that there are far more adverts now for these dogs than many breeds which is sad because whilst I love doodles I wouldn't like to lose the many pedigree breeds around.

I agree with Monty'smum on the bit about highlighting a problem. I see many gorgeous dogs including Akita pups (ie) and think "Ah I'd love one of those" but I am sensible and when we decided to get a doodle we did a great deal of research; probably could have done more tbh too. This part is wonderful and so true sadly. "Unfortunately it can be a minefield, but at the end of the day, humans are blessed with a brain, and sometimes they need to use it a bit more.

There are charlatan dog breeders out there unfortunately, just as there are dodgy builders or car mechanics, human nature isn't always as noble as it could be." Ruby is a charliton(sp?) dog - she's supposed to be a doodle who according to some are manic, hyperactive unsuitable for families type dog but she is so placid you'd think she was actually a stuffed dog lol
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
Oops sorry did I imply it was your position too? I get carried away at times and apologise if I got it wrong - it wasn't intentional - I may have got it right this time but shouldn't be doing that.
No, dont apologise Ally. I know you weren't trying to speak for me. It's just you managed to express my views far better than my own posts did
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2010, 12:35 PM
No, dont apologise Ally. I know you weren't trying to speak for me. It's just you managed to express my views far better than my own posts did
It must be the gobby Northerner in me - might be a southerner by birth and now living here but spent my educational years in Sheffield so can come across as blunt at times when I don't mean to xx
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Hey, well I'm a Scouser so between us we'll let everyone know how we feel about things lol
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
Gorgeous piccies. I know what ya are saying Becky Infact their are quite a few people that have been conned into buying Expensive Doodle that actually are Poodles lol Go Figure that one lol
You haven't heard about some Standard Poodle breeders in the UK who have been found to be sellong Standard Poodles as Labradoodles to make more money????

I know Mahooli that Standard poodles are not "below the knee" - I had already explained that we don't like Poodles so didn't think I needed to clarify! One of the reasons why we got a doodle that looks like a now what was your quote??? oh yes "a badly bred Labrador" if that is how you see her
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Hey, well I'm a Scouser so between us we'll let everyone know how we feel about things lol
OMG that's scary isn't it? 2 of us.......
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 01:12 PM
I think you have highlighted a problem that is prevalent in the dog owning world generally though, not just as far as crosses are concerned.

How many people see a cute Akita pup and decide they want one without learning the specific care they need, or fall in love with an adorable GSD pup and then dont realise how big they get, or how much a Goldie moults, or how often a beautiful Samoyed needs grooming?

That is why I mention that people need to have a bit of commonsense, and to be honest be more responsible, regardless of what dog they are going to get.

If the breeder who sold your friend her pup told them the dog was going to be small and it isn't obviously it is a case of a bad breeder, but again I have read on here and elsewhere about breeders of pedigree dogs that dont have all their health checks and are sold as sound etc.

Unfortunately it can be a minefield, but at the end of the day, humans are blessed with a brain, and sometimes they need to use it a bit more.

There are charlatan dog breeders out there unfortunately, just as there are dodgy builders or car mechanics, human nature isn't always as noble as it could be.

As for why the mix was created, I have no idea. I do know it started in the States about 50-60 years ago, and there are now some clubs like the Cockerpoo Club of America and North American Cockerpoo Registry that want to work towards making it a recogniseable breed, but to be honest I have no interest in that and it doesn't bother me that they are not designated as pedigree.
I couldn't agree with you more regarding the owner taking some responsibility in all this. I had no idea that my friend was buying from a known puppy farm breeder and as soon as she did admit to it, I let her know what I thought. She was foolish and ignorant and there is no excuse for not finding more out about the breeder you choose.

Of course unscrupulous breeders are not confined to the poodle mixes, there are plenty of people buying pedigrees and not being told the full story about the dogs needs.

It's always going to be a difficult subject when it involves dogs you love. Both you and Ally took responsible steps in gaining knowledge about your prospective dogs. My gripe is with the people who see a dog or usually just an advert, and then on the basis of it being 'cute' or 'different' they purchase a dog. I do object to silly names being given to a crossbreed who deserves a little more respect than that. I love crossbreeds. I owned a lurcher who was clearly a mix of hounds and my JRT is most definitely not your bog standard Jack!

I do feel there is a link with naming a cross and then being able to charge more money for it. I have spoken to a few cockerXpoodle owners who insist on referring to them as a breed in order to justify the huge amounts of money spent.

I started this thread about a labradorXcocker because given the information regarding this particular dog, I felt the cross in this case was wrong. Also the fact that the poor dog, who was absolutely beautiful, had been given a silly name. He's a crossbreed! Celebrate that fact!
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 17 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »