View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2008, 05:26 PM
I wonder what Battersea Dogs' Home think of this, as the dog's home for central London they are likely to be the ones who end up with some of these dogs.

I received an auto confirmation from Downing Street, I did all the link-clicking to confirm the submission and am waiting for the mail to say it has gone live. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it takes until Monday at least.

80 dogs an hour, oh, that makes me feel so sad, while I have been typing this two unwanted dogs have been pts. This is disgraceful. I can't belive it. I saw it in Paris, dogs in pet shops in glorified fish tanks, but I truly believed it had stopped here.

Think we should all contact the local council for Knightsbridge at the address at the beginning of this thread. We will have to make nuisances of ourselves and hopefully this will get a result.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Just seen this thread.
I thought it was illegal to sell animals like that. I remember as a child seeing puppies in a pet shop and then being told they'd stopped because they weren't allowed to sell them any more.
I wonder how many other places do this It really needs a change in the law to make it illegal. Does anyone know if its happening in Scotland as well?
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 06:26 PM
The kennel club has issued a code of ethics which all breed clubs have to accept, there are 14 issues mentioned

10 on the list is

Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.

13 Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as prize or donation in a competition of any kind.

Breach of the provision may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel club and or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.

No reputable breeder woud sell their puppies this way, and if the breeders are known they should be reported to the Kennel club who could probably (hopefully) refuse to register any future puppies from these dispicable people. I am presuming that the puppies come with kennel club papers?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
The kennel club has issued a code of ethics which all breed clubs have to accept, there are 14 issues mentioned

10 on the list is

Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.

13 Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as prize or donation in a competition of any kind.

Breach of the provision may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel club and or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.

No reputable breeder woud sell their puppies this way, and if the breeders are known they should be reported to the Kennel club who could probably (hopefully) refuse to register any future puppies from these dispicable people. I am presuming that the puppies come with kennel club papers?
Well, they've broken some of those rules then, moetmum! Although I don't have much respect for the KC, if it can help stop the sale of these poor pups in Harrods then that's a good thing.

Oh yes, the woman said the come with KC pedigree papers. Shocking. I'm going to email the KC now, let's see what they say.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 06:40 PM
This is good news I dont hold much respect for the KC but if they can stop the breeders from selling to Harrods or any other big retailer then I am all for it.
I have the names of some of the breeder if you want them
Elaine x
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 06:43 PM
I'll email the KC and Dogs Trust. Who wants to do Battersea Cat and Dog Home?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Doing the KC now.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 07:10 PM
How awful! I knew Harrods used to sell pets but i always thought it was illegal to sell cats and dogs in shops like that!!

I feel for ANY animals there, but i cant help but feel extra bad for the poor puggies, they would suffer terribly in a situation like that. Shame on the breeders selling them there!!

P.S. I know someone mentioned they hd the names of some of the breeders, if you have the name of the pug breeders i would be very interested to know it. I would hope its no one i know but if someone can PM me if they have the details that would be great...
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Hey guys just seen this, well done for doing all this and if there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

Email the KC with the names of the breeders and let them know, ask Harrods are the puppies KC reg? If they are then you will have more back up from the KC.

It will also be worth contacting the dog papers too, Dog World and Our Dogs.

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/Home

http://www.ourdogs.co.uk/

These are the show papers but are always interested in the welfare of all dogs and print stories of all dog related news, i'm sure they will be interested. Might be worth naming and shaming the breeders if you can although I doubt anyone knows who they are, but if they do it will be someone in the breed.

Hope that helps.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Also maybe worth looking into the cat circles, there are the sister magazines of Your Cat and Cats Today. Not sure of the show press. The 'cat people' will be just as enraged.
Page 10 of 19 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »