register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do you 'do' dominance?
Yes I believe in the dominance/heirachy/pack theory 51 43.22%
No I don't 'do' dominance 42 35.59%
Have absolutely no idea 1 0.85%
Sitting on the fence 24 20.34%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 10 of 30 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 03:16 PM
As forthe type of lead he uses up behind the dogs ears, it does NOT cause pain, it's a pressure point, the same that horses have, and the reason Bridles are placed on the Poll of the horses head.

So do all these people now think that Horse riding is now cruel too ???

I think the only thing that gets hurt on these dogs is their pride !
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 03:24 PM
In all fairness to CM they dont show the behaviour before he arrives, I am guessing these dogs really set about one another, poss causing harm, to not only themselfs but the owner,
If what he has done in the short time helps I see no problem with it, I would rather see five min of this sort of training which solves the problem than months and months of them fighting with one another.

Combined with months and months of NARKY {is my best word for it} methods of training, I often see people walk there dogs on a choke chain daily, often upside down with the dog straining at the end of the lead, to me this is NARKY I perfer to see a choke used as a training aid, {short term and used properly} then moveing on to a half-check and from there a normal collar, to many people dont deal with the problem they just try to control it as best they can when it happens, some even go to extreams to avoid the situation that causes problems, I know of people who no longer walk dogs due to aggression / pulling so the dog is doomed to a life in the garden, but it will soon find another place to vent frustration,,,its a knock on effect, be it next doors cat, dogs passing the gate, the post man, at some point they run out of restrictive methods to deal with it, sadly this is often when they seek help makeing it harder for the trainer as the behaviour is well established,
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
...and that's a problem why ???

I realy don't understand.

I have to say I am shocked at how many people think CM is hurtful, vicious, whatever, when it seems to me that if these people hadnt of molly coddled their dogs in the first place and treated them like animals, they wouldn't have the behavioural issus in the first place.

This is what I think is shocking.

How many times do I hear about a terrier type biting, growling, snarling, and the owners condoning it, because that's "what terriers do !!!"

Boxers bounding all over people and misbehaving and owners condoning it because "Boxers are excitable, it's what they do"

NO IT'S NOT, be the boss and teach your dog some manners.

To all those who have impeccably behaved dogs, guess what, your dogs are submissive.

Get over it !
What Id like to have seen is how these dogs were behaving the following day- after they had "rested up". Cesar's show like many others only shows snippets of what has gone on so I dont think its possible to judge his methods fairly by what we see on the television.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 03:41 PM
But you just did judge his methods ???

A dog is more responsive after exercise and this is what he is displaying.

An anxious or exhuberant dog will not pay attention, hence the dogs being exercised first.

Are you really saying that training an exhausted dog is wrong ???........for goodness sake !!!
Skyespirit86
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2007, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=Mahooli;1163528]Mother dogs do it to puppies not fully grown dogs. Whilst he may be behaving in what appears to be a calm manner he is pushing and prodding those dogs as well as picking them by the scruff. I have no issues in grabbing a dog by the scruff in an emergency, although I think the fact that he was doing it to terriers who have a very high pain threshold, thicker and more loose skin around the neck is significant. If he'd tried to do that to my poodles there is no way he could have shown it on the telly!
Not everyone agrees with his methods and you only have to look at the poll at the beginning to realise that a significant proportion do not subscribe to his methods. Get over it

People don't agree with it because they are being over sensitive. They are siding with the dog like it is a victim, and it isn't. People like that baby their dogs, give them human emotions, and treat them in a weak, nervy, emotional way, are the ones who have problems. Cesar turns those kind of people around, including sceptics like yourself.
I'm sure they would have shown your poodles on the telly because I'm sure Cesar would know how to be with you.
I will not 'get over it,' because I know what I'm saying is educated, and I understand the whole 'energy,' thing. I would never hurt a dog, and I have excellent vision when it comes to seeing liars, frauds, and un- enlightened people pretending to know it all. I also have confidence in myself. Nobody has to 'get over it,' if they believe in themselves.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 03:43 PM
But you just did judge his methods ???

A dog is more responsive after exercise and this is what he is displaying.

An anxious or exhuberant dog will not pay attention, hence the dogs being exercised first.

Are you really saying that training an exhausted dog is wrong ???........for goodness sake !!!
dear me whose got their knickers in a twist ?? all i did was comment on the dogs in his program looked exhausted-thats all. No wonder I dont usually post on these threads .I think Ill stick to posting about pumpkin pie..............
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 03:53 PM
I have to say I am shocked at how many people think CM is hurtful, vicious, whatever, when it seems to me that if these people hadnt of molly coddled their dogs in the first place and treated them like animals, they wouldn't have the behavioural issus in the first place.
This is the same with all the dog-training shows (CM, Dog Borstal, It's Me or The Dog etc). If people hadn't done what they did with the dogs in the first place, they wouldn't need the help of Cesar and other programmes.

I don't like all CM's methods, and I'll admit that openly. However, I've seen some of the shows where the owners were on the verging of giving up/rehoming their dogs; and he managed to turn the dogs behaviour around.

I'm sure, like with a lot of other TV shows, there is more going on behind the scenes in terms of training etc than we see on the screen.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 04:10 PM
NO IT'S NOT, be the boss and teach your dog some manners.

To all those who have impeccably behaved dogs, guess what, your dogs are submissive.

Get over it !
Erm you don't need to be the 'boss' in order to teach your dog manners, my dogs aren't what I would call impeccably behaved, I've seen dogs like that and they have a broken spirit. My dogs have the freedom to be independent thinking as long as it is within the rules, the same way we all have to live our lives.

Originally Posted by Skyespirit86 View Post
People don't agree with it because they are being over sensitive. They are siding with the dog like it is a victim, and it isn't. People like that baby their dogs, give them human emotions, and treat them in a weak, nervy, emotional way, are the ones who have problems. Cesar turns those kind of people around, including sceptics like yourself.
I'm sure they would have shown your poodles on the telly because I'm sure Cesar would know how to be with you.
I will not 'get over it,' because I know what I'm saying is educated, and I understand the whole 'energy,' thing. I would never hurt a dog, and I have excellent vision when it comes to seeing liars, frauds, and un- enlightened people pretending to know it all. I also have confidence in myself. Nobody has to 'get over it,' if they believe in themselves.
I'm certainly not being over sensitive, I don't like his methods. I also do not treat my dogs in a weak, nervy or emotional way. I've been there with fighting dogs and it isn't nice and believe me picking them up by the scruff would have meant the others having free reign on their legs. Those were the days when I thought I was doing it right by the 'dominance' method.
Now my views have changed based on my own personal experience of how we interact with dogs and how they interact with each other I have a considerably more harmonious group. I wouldn't call them a pack because they very rarely do anything as a pack, they're sort of individuals all together!
When I said get over it I meant get over the fact that some have a different view of things than you do. When it comes to dogs I have confidence in what I know based on what I have experienced and believe me I am far from un-enlightened!
Becky
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Erm you don't need to be the 'boss' in order to teach your dog manners, my dogs aren't what I would call impeccably behaved, I've seen dogs like that and they have a broken spirit. My dogs have the freedom to be independent thinking as long as it is within the rules,
Where is that NOT being the boss ??

I've had many Bosses in the past that were very quiet, calm, and direct people.

No-one is saying that being the boss is aggressive, or forceful !!!

If you weren't the 'Boss' of your dogs, they simply wouldnt listen to you, so whether you like it or not, you are their boss.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 04:27 PM
I don't consider myself to be the boss at all. After all it isn't just them doing what I tell them I do the same for them!
I feed them, exercise them and play with them when they want me too. If I thought of me as their boss I'd expect them to do the shopping :smt002
Becky
Page 10 of 30 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »