Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Edited. Too tired, and that is no excuse for impoliteness
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-02-2005, 10:12 AM
I went to the link, quite interesting, thing is at least three of the links on there are now defunct. Come up with error 404. So not as informative as could have been.
gingerboy
Dogsey Junior

08-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Well thats one then! Shadowboxer you are probably one of only a handful of people that does actually bother to quote relevant facts and figures and also quotes the relevant publications so I am a little suprised that you did not find the site of interest.

Whilst the site quoted may have based its research on a small number of dogs surely thats better than none at all? At least the site and author have bothered to investigate popular misconceptions of the boxer breed - something which frankly without sufficent research and hard facts we will all continue to "agree to disagree on".

As you posted a reply so quickly I can only imagine you are the font of all boxer facts, figures and known data on the planet earth otherwise if you had actually bothered to read all the info and look at the presentations properly your post would have come sometime later on.

Maybe you know that you are rght and I am wrong or that the author of the studie is wrong? If so can I have a copy of your study and supporting literature?

I await your un-biased opinion / reply
CBT
Dogsey Senior

08-02-2005, 10:29 AM
edited - was going to post substantial reply but I think I have made enough sarcastic comments today and dont want to let myself get dragged down any further

suffice to say I didnt find "You've arrrived at our "Error 404:" page" particularly eye opening or informative

did you read the link I posted in the other thread about white boxers?
There was some facts and figures there, albeit a small sample too, what did you think of that article GB?
gingerboy
Dogsey Junior

08-02-2005, 10:39 AM
http://home.online.no/~hennilu/Engli...hite/index.htm

My most sincere apologies CBT - see if this works any better, it did for me when I just checked.

Sarcasm on this site surely not!

If you could post me a link to the thread I will quite happily take a look - anything to expand my knowledge of the boxer breed is always welcomed.

GB
CBT
Dogsey Senior

08-02-2005, 11:17 AM
when I click on the health survey it keeps saying that error 404 message,
I would genuinely like to read any survey information on this subject. I have a white boxer who is a very poor example of her breed, and the subject interests me as I feel very strongly that breeding or promotion of whites is a bad idea.
I know that may be hard for you to understand, but I believe whites do suffer from problems due to their colour

here is the link:

http://www.boxerunderground.com/bu20...ite_boxers.htm

(my apologies, i thought I had posted it in the other topic, but It was actually in this one, a couple of pages back, confusing cos theres 2 debates about white boxers going on at same time )
gingerboy
Dogsey Junior

08-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Hello CBT - yes your right the 1st link does not work - if you scroll down the page towards the bottom you will see links on the left hand side which take you to a presentation. I don't know how often you use this type of link but below each slide their are back / forward buttons which will change the slide and also update supporting text at the bottom of the page. Sorry if you are a wizz at this type of thing - no insult intended.

The supportig info / stats are on the slides towards the end, their are 32 slides in total I think from memory so quite a bit to wade through. The genetics is really easy to follow as it should be as I know either Archer or Shadow boxer posted a lengthy explenation of the white gene. The way in which it is laid out does make it really easy to follow even though it covers old ground.

I have to say as the owner of a deaf white boxer myself I was suprised how low deafness was in this particular studie and the whites v's coloured health / age results really suprised me! I have seen various figures banded around for deafness anything upto 25% in whites which personally think is way to high a figure but heyho.

I only wish an independant organisation would commision research into white / coloured with a larger sample ie; at least 1000 of each so that we could all at least have some meaningful data on which to form \ base our opinions. The chances of that ever happening are very slim though unless somebody out there knows differently?

I will take a look at the link you have posted and will be interested in the findings.

Don't know if I agree with your views on white health as based on personal experience my white is as fit as a fiddle and very rarely has anything wrong whereas my brindle seems to be sickly more often with one thing and another. The biggest problem with my white is her tear ducts and staining. I think deafness is obviously not ideal but Tash is very well behaved and obedient and lives a very full life she even obtained the good citizens award!

Molly our brindle looks out for her a lot and soon lets her know if she is mising out on anything. Training was hardwork with Tash but well worth it to see how good she is now.

Breeding - I agree with you but my wife does not, we agree to disagree as we are both competitive people. That said Tash was speyed at 6 months and we have no intentions of ever breeding anyway.

Whites are such an emotive topic it is hard to give an un-biased view if you lean one way or the other and few people try and stay on the middle ground and look for supporting lit / studies to either prove their point or disprove other peoples. If we all had the same opinion the world would be a boring place so for now we have to respect other peoples points of view whilst voicing our own without verbally attacking that person.

Take care, GB
gingerboy
Dogsey Junior

08-02-2005, 12:03 PM
Thnks for the link - good reading CBT. It really is a shame their is not more research.

Personally of the owners I know Tash is the only one that is deaf that is based on at least 10 physical and approx 30-40 internet whites so personally I'm suprised how high a figure was recorded from the poll of 263 owners.

Thanks once again for the link, GB
CBT
Dogsey Senior

08-02-2005, 12:27 PM
edited - maybe more studies should be done, it would be good to have some conclusive evidence
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-02-2005, 01:45 PM
Hi all

I am not going to comment on this thread, I have my opinion, and have read all yours with great interest. But wanted to say this thread sparked interest in Deaf dogs so have posted a new thread on that subject, hoping you can all give me your experiences on that.

Tam

Oh and thanks for the researched facts Gingerboy. Have not read yet, but it is nice to know there are some facts there.
Page 10 of 14 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »