Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by bolty
to me it would be obvious that she will not get ddb size as this is a small peace of her mix, all the other breeds in her are smaller, am staff being the smallist, whitch i see as a med size dog

Breed Name: American Staffordshire Terrier

Description:
The American Staffordshire Terrier's muscled build and protective instinct should make strangers beware, yet with their own family they are devoted, gentle and loving. Some American Staffordshire Terriers are dual-registered as an American Pit Bull Terrier with the UKC and as an American Staffordshire Terrier with the AKC; however, this draws criticism from many who point out that the bloodlines have been separate for too long for these to be considered the same breed. They are courageous and a tenacious fighter if provoked. Training can be a challenge because of their pushy yet sensitive character. Their natural temperament towards people is gentle and loving, unfortunately some have been improperly handled giving the American Staffordshire Terrier a bad rap.

Height: 17 - 19 inches

Weight: 40 - 50 lbs.

Colors:
Red, fawn, white, black or blue, with white, any shade of brindle

Coat:
Smooth, short and dense

Temperament:
Loyal, intelligent, determined, tough, devoted; does well with children when socialized as a puppy; often does not do well with other pets

Care and Exercise:
Minimal grooming of his coat, dry shampoo or bathe only when necessary. Rubbing his coat will make the coat gleam. Regular daily exercise. Special training because of his nature. Quick to learn but needs an assertive regiment.

Health Issues:
Prone to hives caused by stress or insect bites and hip dysplasia

History/Origin:
Recently recognized as a distinct breed, he descends from the fighting pits of England and America. A variety of breeds were used to develop the "Amstaff" including the Bull Terrier, the Old English White Terrier, the Black and Tan, the Bulldog, the Mastiff, the Pointer, the Dalmatian and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. His name was changed from the Staffordshire Terrier to the American Staffordshire Terrier in 1972.

Category: Terrier

Registries: UCA, AKC, ANKC, CKC, FCI (Group 3), KC (GB), UKC

All that means nothing with a mongrel dog, there is no way you can tell what the adult will be like, you have been fed nonsense if you have been told different, it is not possible with a cross breed but if there are more than two breeds involved forget it, you just can't guess.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-08-2005, 01:56 PM
if you look at the pics you can tell ruby has still got some growing to do in height by the growth plates on her front legs.
i think i have said all i can think of now on this thread and cant think of anything else that might help the only person that can do anything about it is you bolty.
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

14-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by leo
if you look at the pics you can tell ruby has still got some growing to do in height by the growth plates on her front legs.
i think i have said all i can think of now on this thread and cant think of anything else that might help the only person that can do anything about it is you bolty.
thanks leo
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Bolty if you have any doubts as to whether Ruby is the right dog after all for you then I would say rehome her now. You shouldn't have to explain your actions/reasons to anyone.

It is heartbreaking Bolty, I've just had to rehome my 2 staffords due to my own health problems and by jeeze that was tough I can tell you.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by bolty
i no this thread is not about barney (staff) but is he going to have probs later on, or is his breed fine with living like this?

he has been doing stairs from about 5/6 months of age
Hi

I havent read all of the other threads and have read most of this, a couple of points I would make

Re - your above remark - and in relation to Ruby and any further dogs you may own.

There is no guarantees with any breed or any dog that they will not have health problems, as with humans certain conditions can happen upon them and no amount of good breeding can guarantee no end to this.

With relation to the fact that Riby is a crossbreed - again you really have no indication as to what size she will get.

Re: her stair problem - IF she has no health/joint problem ( I assume this has been double checked with a reputable vet) I dont see the harm in her goign up and down the stairs once or twice a day personally - Obviously I understand she is a puppy so less is best - but plenty of people live up sets of stairs and unless the dog is tearing up and down them all day everyday it shouldnt be a huge issue

I may get criticised for this but :Bruno has hip dysplacia - we live up a set of stairs which he has to go up and down if we are leaving/entering the house, now we had this B4 we discovered his hip displacia - at 2 1/2 years old - so do we get rid of him because of it -certainly not - he has already had 2 homes by 2 years old there is no way I would rehome him again - he mamges the stairs fine and if it came to it I would carry him up and down 20 times a day if I had to.

So ok you dont know how big Ruby is going to get so carrying her is never an ideal - however I cant really see a huge problemn with the stairs if she is only doing it a couple of times -

you have however also made the comment on this thread that she spends most of her time in the house with Barney - you made the comment that she rarely gets walked on or off lead - WHY?? If she has no health problem - why is she not getting walked ?
and this concerns me much MORE than the stair issue ....

You have made contradicting statments on these threads - I genuinely dont know by reading this the real reason why you are thinking of getting rid of Ruby, what i would say is that you are giving the impression(IMO) by stating 3 different reasons for rehoming that you really dont want to keep her - if this is the case, give her to a reputable rehoming centre ( not the free ads) and let them get her a good home.

My personal opinion, this conversation/thread has been done to death and we can all give opinions etc - but in your heart Bolty - what is best for Ruby and not just the stair thing - is she getting regular walks etc, is she right for you ?

Cos if she isnt for WHATEVER reason then do the right thing by YOUR dog.

dani
clydey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2005, 11:13 PM
sorry to have to say this and im not picking holes however i was always taught a dog is for life and mans best friend
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by clydey
sorry to have to say this and im not picking holes however i was always taught a dog is for life and mans best friend
Hi Clydey this is an old thread ..maybe best not revisited
Page 10 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10