Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
I believe nothing until I have checked it out first.

I am presently helping in a research project in Lakeland terriers because someone told me something and someone else told me different.

I wan't to know the facts so there is a Mutation requency test now being conducted by the AHT for a condition that has previously not been considered an issue in the breed.
I have also personaly taken the flack for it going ahead so I do know what it is like to bring health issues to the fore when some don't want you to.
Yes absolutely. I understand peoples anger, but blaming one dog is wrong, especially when they are quoting the findings of one man, yet the same man said both parents must have the gene for it to be passed on. No mention of the bitch nor her breeders/owners in all this though. Thats what I mean by selective believing. Its wrong. These witch hunts will never further developments into cures.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I think they said they thought it was a recessive gene from the patterns seen in inheritance, but they haven't found it yet so they can't be sure

If that's the case then yes both the bitch and dog have to be carriers
The feeling I had they were focusing on the stud was because of the giant numbers of litters it would be easier to spot something was wrong from his side
Was it not the point though that the stud in question was in the bitches lines on both sides??? Wasn't he the father of the bitch but then also the grandfather on her sire's side or something like that?
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Jeff Sampson said that during the research for the DNA marker they found evidence that points to a single mutation in a dog way back.
The pedigree research was an aside to the other reserch and the information is not 100% so the dog would not be named.
That's true, he didn't mention any names.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Has the mode of inheritence been proved because I can't find anything that says what it is, just what people believe.
the belief has come from tracing the effected dogs lines, which all lead back to two dogs, and one goes back to the other.

As yet no marker has been found, it still early days in the research, so a long way to go,

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes absolutely. I understand peoples anger, but blaming one dog is wrong, especially when they are quoting the findings of one man, yet the same man said both parents must have the gene for it to be passed on. No mention of the bitch nor her breeders/owners in all this though. Thats what I mean by selective believing. Its wrong. These witch hunts will never further developments into cures.

My understanding is the bitch in question was bought from the breeder in question who owned the stud dog, so assume she also owned the bitch that whelped.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-03-2012, 11:46 AM
The man in question Dawn is an eminent geneologist who has been at the forefront in research of AS and cardiomyopathy in our breed, he is also behind the bobtail.

He is like marmite, love him or hate him, sadly the hate him always comes when the problem is pinpointed to your lines.

This research is very much in its infancy , as its only just raised its head above the pulpit, (publicly ) .
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 11:57 AM
You are all missing one tiny but important pointer here. A lot of the dogs affected are diagnosed young & die young. There are a few & granted they are a few, that have JKD who live beyond expectations. I have one of them beside me at present who has been utterly wretchedly sick for the past two days

You can blame new breeders for being niave at the start of their breeding/show career etc etc however you could have some feeling for those of us with affected dogs. I wouldnt blame Sharon if she didnt come back to Dogsey.

Blaming achieves absolutely nothing, the situation is here & seemingly not small scale. Everybody NEEDS to work together to help control this dreadful disease

Katie has always had a weak bladder & i say that loosely, for years she was treated for bladder infections. It took us after we moved house & had a change of Vets, who wanted to do investigations, to find out the shocking truth, that we had a dog in Stage 3 renal disease.

For goodness sake get off your high horses and start to think about what really matters - how best to
proceed from now onwards!!
mcrobs
New Member!
Female 

04-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks Jackie.

So the bitch bitch that died had a copy of the gene from BOTH of her parents then. Yet the stud dog (again) gets all the blame.

Mcrobs
I am truly sorry you lost your girl like this, I have been on the receiving end of a condition in Dobermanns which is still under investigation and quite difficult to prevent or predict.

Can I ask you if the breeder of your BITCH was equally to blame in your eyes as clearly she was as much at fault as the stud dogs owner? How many litters previously and subsequently were bred from your bitches mother?

Is it possible that blood testing annually until a gene test becomes available could be enough at this stage to say yes or no to having this condition? How far in advance is it detectable? Forgive the questions, Im just trying to understand it a little more clearly.
There were 3 other affected ups from a previous litter, BUT the first was not known until the repeat mating, and was told by my vet and the stud dog owner that this was a one off, as does sometimes happen, I accepted this, Madge was mated and dead when some of the others came to light, the dam, had a litter to another dog, previously and nothing came from that, they are all healthy and are all over 6 years old, so yes, if this is a recessive gene then my bitch has it too, I have never argued against this, but I used the dog on another bitch, and his son on another and both of those bitches produced affected puppies, all three bitches are connected 3-4 generations back, but all bought from dffeerent kennels, one being bought from the kennel with the stud dog owner, allthe cases were not disclosed until the matings and puppies had been born,, I have only ever had affected

I am not a vet or geneticist but find it really hard to beleive, three diff bitches to one dog and his sone says something
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 12:56 PM
AMEN! Pointing fingers and back biting isn't going to help the breed or stop further dogs dying of genetic diseases. If everybody in the breed co-operated and were honest over their own dogs and able to take responsibility without fear of being judged by their peers, something like JKD could be conquered quickly.

Especially as it affects young dogs. Shar-Pei are blighted with a genetic disease that is unpredictable in it's symptoms and age it strikes dogs down. Often a dog can drop dead with no previous signs when it's 8 or 9 and if that's a top winning sire, hundreds of descendents for several generations can be out there. Boxer people need to pull themselves together and thank heavens they don't have something equivalent to FSF in their breed.

Hope your doglet is feeling better soon and you have lots of time left together.

Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
You are all missing one tiny but important pointer here. A lot of the dogs affected are diagnosed young & die young. There are a few & granted they are a few, that have JKD who live beyond expectations. I have one of them beside me at present who has been utterly wretchedly sick for the past two days

You can blame new breeders for being niave at the start of their breeding/show career etc etc however you could have some feeling for those of us with affected dogs. I wouldnt blame Sharon if she didnt come back to Dogsey.

Blaming achieves absolutely nothing, the situation is here & seemingly not small scale. Everybody NEEDS to work together to help control this dreadful disease

Katie has always had a weak bladder & i say that loosely, for years she was treated for bladder infections. It took us after we moved house & had a change of Vets, who wanted to do investigations, to find out the shocking truth, that we had a dog in Stage 3 renal disease.

For goodness sake get off your high horses and start to think about what really matters - how best to
proceed from now onwards!!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by mcrobs View Post
There were 3 other affected ups from a previous litter, BUT the first was not known until the repeat mating, and was told by my vet and the stud dog owner that this was a one off, as does sometimes happen, I accepted this, Madge was mated and dead when some of the others came to light, the dam, had a litter to another dog, previously and nothing came from that, they are all healthy and are all over 6 years old, so yes, if this is a recessive gene then my bitch has it too, I have never argued against this, but I used the dog on another bitch, and his son on another and both of those bitches produced affected puppies, all three bitches are connected 3-4 generations back, but all bought from dffeerent kennels, one being bought from the kennel with the stud dog owner, allthe cases were not disclosed until the matings and puppies had been born,, I have only ever had
affected

I am not a vet or geneticist but find it really hard to beleive, three diff bitches to one dog and his sone says something
If they were knowingly breeding affected dogs then i agree with you. Dreadful experience to lose a dog like this in a way that could have been prevented in the first place

What are the dogs like in Europe Sharon, is it spread out there too, new unaffected stock brought in from abroad - could this help do you think?

I asked my vet last week / had emailed him Dr C's results & he says he has never seen or heard of a case here (apart from Katie) its mainly cats with renal disease they see. Could it be a case it hasnt got such a strong hold in Ireland yet?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 01:53 PM
The guy in the program may have said that but I can not find anything else which says that is the case as a fact.

The guy on the tv is also being questioned by other research institutions as his research has had no peer review.

most of the information I am finding is a couple of years old so just thought if anyone has the up to date information they can point in that direction
The "guy" in question is an eminent Geneologist! He is also a Boxer breeder/exhibitor of many years standing
Page 10 of 14 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »