Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I don't think so....everyone still gets the bills (vets/feeding etc) etc.

Maybe you could make it so that puppy buyer had to be given a break down of the cost involved in raising that litter? Not sure if it would help - but it might make people look twice...
Of course everyone gets the vet bills and feeding costs, but it does depend on what type of breeder we are talking about as to which quality food is fed, and what medical treatment is recieved.

I wouldnt care how much a breeder spent out on the litter - If I wanted a puppy I would be more than happy to pay it. If that meant the breeder was making a profit on the litter then so be it..
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Of course everyone gets the vet bills and feeding costs, but it does depend on what type of breeder we are talking about as to which quality food is fed, and what medical treatment is recieved.

I wouldnt care how much a breeder spent out on the litter - If I wanted a puppy I would be more than happy to pay it. If that meant the breeder was making a profit on the litter then so be it..
I think i agree with this, I am not sure that the price came into it when choosing our puppy, i didnt want a status dog that was expensive, or a cheap dog etc, I wanted the breed that we chose and paid what needed to be paid, the cost to have the litter wasnt really something i thought about.

I have decided I will never go into breeding whether money is to be made or not, i simply want to love a pet and if i ever want another puppy I know where to go and what to look for, and the price again wont be the main motivator. We are neither poor nor rich but buying a dog was something we knew we would have to pay for and it wasnt really until we even got our dog that i paid any attention to prices of other breeds and crosses etc. And when looking country wide there was a £200 price difference between puppies from differing litters all over the country.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Last year I had a litter at the same time as an ex friend he undercut me by £150 mainly to wind me up and guess what he couldnt sell them. Im assuming the majority of buyers though they were getting a better dog when in fact was almost identical pedigree.
You'd have pf's charging higher prices and breeding more litters were as the ethical breeders would have less litters.
I believe its a generally accepted fact of marketing that people believe the more you pay for something the better it is.

Of course you have to be able to afford it.

Adam
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 10:14 PM
The fact is if some breeders (and I say some as not all are like this), do breed to make money. If there was no money to be made they would not breed.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 10:19 PM
But I think some people need to be real here.

Someone has a litter of CCs.. has 5 puppies to sell for £150 each. Could someone please explain to me what a non ethical breeder is spending out on to not make a profit from the £750 income?

Now when you look at a decent breeder breeding the same breed, charging the same price - THEY will be the ones at a loss not the above. We dont need to test but it costs us just under the £150 to do the tests for each dog. Something that does NOT need to be done.. So do you really think them not breeding for a reason apart from money will bother. I dont. and again which type of breeder is making a loss, and which would be making a profit evening if charging £150 ... I know the answer.

I fail to see how this 'method' would riddle out the breeders we dont want breeding, they would still make a profit even if not what would have been made before.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 10:30 PM
If I thought that it would stop people needlessly breeding, then would agree 100% with the OP.

I know that Beau's breeder would continue, she has so few litters and is not in it to make any money (I would have no problem of her making any money after seeing first hand how much planning, time, care and attention she put into her puppies).

My problem is with the people who breed and spend as little money as possible on their dogs......no testing, no vets fees, no stud fees, cheap feed etc. £150 per pup is still an incentive for these people.

I would willingly back any idea which would improve the situation.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 10:52 PM

Of course you would pay - this would not be about what people are willing to pay.....the initial outlay in purchasing a dog is minimal when you take into account costs through its life.
It is about what the breeder gets from it. By introducing a limit, you would be preventing the breeders in it just for money, from achieving that.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 10:57 PM
But I think some people need to be real here.

Someone has a litter of CCs.. has 5 puppies to sell for £150 each. Could someone please explain to me what a non ethical breeder is spending out on to not make a profit from the £750 income?

Now when you look at a decent breeder breeding the same breed, charging the same price - THEY will be the ones at a loss not the above. We dont need to test but it costs us just under the £150 to do the tests for each dog. Something that does NOT need to be done.. So do you really think them not breeding for a reason apart from money will bother. I dont. and again which type of breeder is making a loss, and which would be making a profit evening if charging £150 ... I know the answer.

I fail to see how this 'method' would riddle out the breeders we dont want breeding, they would still make a profit even if not what would have been made before.
It would take one C-section - one bitch who will not feed her pups - etc etc.

All I can see for people disagreeing is the fact people will still make money....at the moment - I know of someone who is breeding Labxpoodles... charging £750 per pup - 2 litters - each with 11....you do the math. (dogs are health tested btw)
IF that profit margin was removed to £150 a pup - do you thin they would continue to breed?It would still be a profit...can you not see how the incentive would drop?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 11:01 PM
By introducing a limit, you would be preventing the breeders in it just for money, from achieving that.
But thats the thing I do not believe you would. I could breed Karma tomorrow, shes in season .. Shes of age being nearly 3, we have males here, she hasnt had her 3 eye tests done ect..For £150 I could easily make a profit from her. If I was out for a profit and nothing more the height of that profilt would mean little. If I was to do it correctly I doubt I would make a profilt.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 11:02 PM
It would take one C-section - one bitch who will not feed her pups - etc etc.

All I can see for people disagreeing is the fact people will still make money....at the moment - I know of someone who is breeding Labxpoodles... charging £750 per pup - 2 litters - each with 11....you do the math. (dogs are health tested btw)
IF that profit margin was removed to £150 a pup - do you thin they would continue to breed?It would still be a profit...can you not see how the incentive would drop?
You know I dont think it would - There will always be another poor bitch, dont forget these type of breeders dont see their dogs as pets and can always move on to the next.

Yes I believe they would..what so a drop on profit is nothing, the bitches does most of the work remember any profit is a bonus for these people.
Page 10 of 14 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »