Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Excellent post!

But I don't wield power over my dog.
Yes, I have to get her food out of the cupboard, but thats because she cannot physically open the cupboard, get a cup of food out etc etc.

I don't tell her to do things.
She goes to the toilet when she wants, she sleeps when/where she wants. She walks where she wants when we go out.

I just keep her safe/healthy.

Noooo you dont, you dominate her, Lynn says so!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
In your opinion, I responded only at this time in the thread, despite reading it frequently, when Lynn persisted in telling people they were wrong!
Yes IMO it was out of line. I know threads go off topic and stuff but this isnot the thread to diss someones job, you know as well as I do she does not train her dogs by bullying
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yes IMO it was out of line. I know threads go off topic and stuff but this isnot the thread to diss someones job, you know as well as I do she does not train her dogs by bullying
Well what is dominance then? If thats her job, I GENUINELY feel very sorry for the dogs she has, I really do, cant help it. I feel its very sad to teach dogs tricks in order to procure money from their hire. Truthfully, I do have a lot of pity for them.

Seems to me in this thread, some folk give dogs a bit too much credit for what they actually are capable of understanding.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Well what is dominance then? If thats her job, I GENUINELY feel very sorry for the dogs she has, I really do, cant help it. I feel its very sad to teach dogs tricks in order to procure money from their hire. Truthfully, I do have a lot of pity for them.
Its a shame that you feel like that. I know my dogs adore learning tricks, it makes them happy to be working with me - as they are both from breeds that work closely with their humans
So as I cannot have a field of sheep I feel I have to do something to give them a job

I have never seen a dog showing its tricks off that dosent look anything but totaly happy

I apreciate that some people dont like training their dogs - but to me I think you are missing out on great fun - for you and your dog

I dont slate people and say they are being cruel to their dogs when they dont let them develop their minds, its up to them
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Its a shame that you feel like that. I know my dogs adore learning tricks, it makes them happy to be working with me - as they are both from breeds that work closely with their humans
So as I cannot have a field of sheep I feel I have to do something to give them a job
Or are they simply willing to do anything you tell them to, just to get that treat?

I have never seen a dog showing its tricks off that dosent look anything but totaly happy
Again, working purely for its treat at the end.

I apreciate that some people dont like training their dogs - but to me I think you are missing out on great fun - for you and your dog
Really? show that to me.

I dont slate people and say they are being cruel to their dogs when they dont let them develop their minds, its up to them
My definition of what is acceptable and yours, differ, thats absolutely fine. My dog loves showing, she hasnt been trained, taught, bullied or made to do any of it, but she does it because she KNOWS she will be given sausage for standing there. Outside the ring, she plays, bounces and mingles with other dogs for no reward, she does that because she WANTS to on her terms. If dogs did "tricks" because they wanted to, dont you think they would be doing these all the time just for pleasure? I mean, imagine that!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I believe you. You ADVERTISE, otherwise why would anyone contact you? They wouldnt know would they?
Of course we advertise...what we do not do...is teach tricks in order to advertise....that was my point...but as usual...you missed that.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Of course we advertise...what we do not do...is teach tricks in order to advertise....that was my point...but as usual...you missed that.
I didnt even read your post, honestly, had no intention of. If you want to use your dogs in such a way, you go ahead, I just feel very sorry for them. Please dont think for one second thats I think you teach them to perform for any other reason than to procure money from their hire. People are not that stupid to believe that, and if it were true, you wouldnt do it, would you?

Regardless of that, my point was that your mother saw fit to imply people were "kidding themselves" and that they were wrong, when perhaps they may just not have been.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Try reading Lynns posts then, about how people are kidding themseloves and implying they dont know anything.
Erm, grow up?

Seems to me in this thread, some folk give dogs a bit too much credit for what they actually are capable of understanding.
Well you can stop your worrying now. I've had the pleasure of visiting with them for the day and have seen their dogs. They are all wonderful, happy, dogs with fulfilled lives. Most of whom have come from very unfortunate backgrounds and are now living the life of riley.

As for teaching dogs tricks being bullish and making them miserable, you're obviously doing something wrong.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2010, 03:13 PM
lol well you havent seen Mia then!! she does her tricks to Ben
Lots of their tricks are to improve their confidence and awareness of their bodies - which helps them romp and play in the woods taking jumps without hurting themselves

as for doing them just for the reward
Quite often the act of doing the trick or whatever is the reward in itself once they have been trained well enough

Both my dogs happily and joyfully run a whole agility course with no sausage

Its up to you what you think, you know I disagree with the showing world, I know you disagree with dog sports! Doubt we are ever gonna change each others minds
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2010, 03:14 PM
I didnt even read your post, honestly, had no intention of. If you want to use your dogs in such a way, you go ahead, I just feel very sorry for them.
Can I ask then - as you are not, and have no intention of reading the posts explaining what we do, that you make no assumptions on why we train our dogs? You are hardly qualified to comment if you are not willing to read the information.

ETA - Sorry - replied before you edited.
Page 10 of 36 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »