Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Fabi View Post
First you have to explain that the flat is only as tight as a normal collar and the chain needs to hang freely. Only an instant, Quick and Release method is used to correct.
Nothing wrong with a half check, but there's no need to "correct" k(ie punish) a dog with leash pops anyway these days .

When a dog pulls, it's control, when he's relaxed he's confident with his leader. The trainer needs to explain the whole story so that he can change.
Pulling dogs are not necessarily controlling, they often just want to get somewhere. My dog is very well trained but in certain circumstances I allow her to pull - eg if she wants water she knows she is allowed to move towards a nearby bowl; if that means a tight leash, I have no problem with that.

I think we can all get way too anal sometimes about this We expect absolute perfection from our dogs but we don't expect this of our own family or friends (well I don't anyway )

From the original post:

"At the end of the class, Thomas tugged onm his lead to get to the large bowl of water that had been put out for the dogs. His owned dragged him back but once corrected, proceeded to let him drink. The trainer form that class walked over, took Thomas away from his owner saying he shouldn't let him pull, wrestled Thomas to the ground which obviously hurt the dog judging by the way he was almost screaming at one point and once Thomas had had enough, kept him there for almost 15 minutes.

I felt so sorry for Thomas. He didn't know what he was supposed to have done wrong. "

If it was felt he was pulling too pushily, I'd simply have asked Thomas pleasantly for a Sit, so that he did something for me before he got his water, but that is as far as I would go.

Wys
x
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 05:32 AM
Hi,

Richard realised that CMs methods didn't work so changed back to his original methods of training fromt he puppy class which have helped. Even though he's a first time dog owner, he saw the difference in Thomas and so worked to improve it.

As far as the pulling for the water was concerned, Thomas was hot and bothered like all the dogs and just wnted a drink. He saw the water and pulled on his lead for it. I don't consider that to be behaviour that warrnts being put ojn the floor. It's not really disobednience in my opinion.

At the end of the day it's the same as having someone in authority tell you something - a police officer, a doctor, a lawyer, a teacher - we assume they all know what they're talking about and unfortunately htere are some bad ones who ruin it for everyone.

WRT the 3 yrd old GSD - between myself and the puppy class trsainer we have more or less every sort of leash, harness and collar available. The owner was offerd the half check also but has always refused. I thik had he accepted, then the trainer would have told him how to use it.

Laura xx
Page 10 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10