Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

13-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz View Post
don't be so childish.

of course there is. but there are no guarantees - you are far more likely to get what you're after if you do research and go to a good breeder.

xx
Please dont resort to personal attacks. I have 2 rescue dogs and can trace their pedigree back to the inth generation!

And why do you think kill shelters are worse than puppy farmers? Most of what you call kill shelters are actually local pounds who have to take the dogs in regardless, they are contracted to do so. Most work damn hard to either rehome or work with rescues to get the dogs out into a safe place where they will be assessed and rehomed properly. Not something a puppy farmer will do with unsold stock! I find that opinion quite surprising.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Have to agree with this. Once the character is formed, there's very little seeing the parents could tell you.

As for health... there is no breeder, responsible or otherwise, who could guarantee that all pups will be healthy. If I wanted a dog purely as a pet or some other discipline that didn't require papers, I'd go for an adult crossbred/mongrel everytime.
Exactly, if I didn't want to show I would go to Weimaraner breed rescue, deffinately, because i'd still want a Weimaraner regardless.

Exactly why when I got my rescue boy, I didn't want to show, so went straight for an older cross bred rescue pup (he was 10 months). AND he had been badly treated, which he still has issues now at 4 years of age.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

13-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by knottybabe View Post
but even if everyone did get dogs from rescue homes....... breeders would still breed.... so then wouldnt there dogs be left over (so to speak?) as everyones gettin rescue dogs........?
No responsible breeder would breed if this were the case as they would not have homes already lined up, which any good breeder should have before a litter is conceived.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:58 PM
I have been wowed by some of the Wiccaweys gorgeous collies and think I will definitely go there for one someday. However, for the forseeable future I want a collie to train as a sheepdog for trials and work and I doubt many (if any) rescue dogs would be suitable.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Allbreeds says she rings the breeder to give them a "ticking off"!
I see

AllBreeds do you ask them if they will take the dog back, would the shelter even give them their pup back? Do you ask the circumstances?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I see

AllBreeds do you ask them if they will take the dog back, would the shelter even give them their pup back? Do you ask the circumstances?
She said No,not for it to be resold
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by AllBreeds View Post
Makes you wonder why the owner felt the dog would be better off in rescue.

When I get pedigrees in with paper I always contact the breeder to give them a ticking off but no way would I return one for it to be sold on again
There you go Random
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by nissanmad View Post
She said No,not for it to be resold
Sorry I must have missed all this, I can't see then AllBreeds, how you can say, about "the amount of pedigree dogs" being put to sleep due to lack of homes, if you won't even return them to their breeders, who I dare say could find much better homes for them with people in the know of that particular breed. IMO.

If I ever bred, and by some tragic unforseen circumstances (as they do happen I admit) lost touch with a buyer of a puppy I had bred, and found one of my pups was in rescue, I would go to court and beyoned to get them back, and I would have contracts in place for such an event. I find it ridiculous that you would not give a pup back to their breeder if they requested!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by nissanmad View Post
There you go Random
Thanks for that Nissan, I must have missed it.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:13 PM
"but even if everyone did get dogs from rescue homes....... breeders would still breed.... so then wouldnt there dogs be left over (so to speak?) as everyones gettin rescue dogs........? "

Originally Posted by spot View Post
No responsible breeder would breed if this were the case as they would not have homes already lined up, which any good breeder should have before a litter is conceived.
And here lies the main problem as I see it. Not that "everyone" would get dogs from rescues, but if the trend was in this direction, responsible breeding would reduce but puppy farming wouldn't, as there is always a ready market through puppy supermarkets.

Puppy farming would aquire a larger portion of the market, consequently, health and temperament problems would increase, as would rehoming, as a consequence of impulse buying. The cause of this problem ie puppy farming, has to be addressed first. JMO
Page 10 of 39 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »