View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-12-2007, 05:54 PM
The legal one's that are here now are neutered and allowed to live out there life, according to the 91' law BUT the posts asking for the PB to be wiped out are in ref to illegal pb. So my Q's stand?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
the point that is being missed by all here though is that the pitbull is ALREADY banned in this country so therefore should already be wiped out seeing as its 17yr old law. So whatever pits around at the time of breeding age would no longer be here.

So the ones that are ARE ihere are llegal and probably not particularly well bred either if brought in illegally. So therefore what has the law achieved - nothing -these dogs are in worse hands than if they had been allowed to be sold publicly.

All of this pits wandering loose etc - IF it was such a HUGe problem in this country we would have had far more deaths etc than Ellie - who might i point out as tragic as that case was - her uncle was responsible for her death - he was exactly the type of person who shouldnt own any dog as if that dog had been a staffy/collie/mastiff/lab etc etc it would probably have resulted in the same situation. Bearing in mind that it would take far less force for a dog to kill a child than an adult, so breed doesnt really come into it.

Suze - you seem determined that no other breed is capable of the same as a pitbull - i think many dogs could do the same damage and i think the majority of dogs may have tendencies to follow their instincts or past - but how far back do you take it ? All dogs originated from wolves so surely if using your logic then they all have the capacity to revert back ??

Pitbulls bred correctly and nurtured are not walking timebombs - if that was the case there would be far more injuries/deaths etc than what there is ( talking about the US here as i dont consider pits in this country today to be meeting those breeding standards i am talking about)

I really dont understand how as dog lovers anyone could support eradicating a breed, whose only fault is to be a muscular dog desired by idiots to make them feel big.

Pits were NOT ORIGINALLY bred to fight in pits with humans or dogs, humans chose to put them to this use later. how far back do you go with history to prove temperaments ??

Humans kill humans far more easily, and frequently than dogs. I do not as a human being wish to eradicate a breed of dog that i would happily own if it were not illegal in this country.

Arguing about whether you could spot one doesnt really matter as nobody enforces anything - the dog owning and animal cruelty laws NEED to change to prevent future deaths or injuries and that is the only thing that will inevitably make any difference.

Fab Post Dani & one I agree with 100%
Manuka
New Member!
Female 

28-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
Ok - why were pit bulls banned??? your telling me collies are as bad - dont make me laugh
In the Italian version of the DDA, collies are banned.

Maybe you have some suggestions for the collie carers here, just incase the law was to change ? Maybe another "wipe out" ?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 05:59 PM
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/breed.cfm

A Pitbull is a breed, why do people think it is not, and have trouble defining it ?

The APBTs we know WERE bred for fighting, in fact bull baiting ! Again why is that contested ?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post

A Pitbull is a breed, why do people think it is not, and have trouble defining it ?

The APBTs we know WERE bred for fighting, in fact bull baiting ! Again why is that contested ?

Not in this country it's not!
It's unrecognised
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post

err bull baiting is not fighting ? dalmations were bred to trot nicely beside carriages, you dont see them doing that now do you. And where is the correlation between bringing down bulls ( which they were trained to do) and killing humans?

you cant keep harking back to what they were used for hundreds of years ago as prove of their temperament.

If they are well bred and brought up i dont see the problem
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 06:08 PM
just because its not recognised doesnt mean it doesnt exist
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
err bull baiting is not fighting ? dalmations were bred to trot nicely beside carriages, you dont see them doing that now do you. And where is the correlation between bringing down bulls ( which they were trained to do) and killing humans?
So fighting with Bulls to 'bring them down' is not classed as fighting ? Oh please !

Twist the words anyway you like, the APBTs we know in this Country were bred for fighting with Bulls for entertainment, whichever rose tinted glasses you have on

As for Dalmations no longer doing their job, well they aren't killing children are they ?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Not in this country it's not!
It's unrecognised
So are you going to tell all the owners on here with 'unrecognised' breeds that they dont exist ?
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-12-2007, 06:10 PM
"Exempted dogs have
to be neutered, tattooed, and microchipped, and have to be on a lead and muzzled
when in a public place. Owners have to maintain insurance against their dogs injuring
third parties." from the DEFRA leaflet on the DDA 1991.

Also if you want PITBULLS wiped out then most if not all bull breed dogs are F$^$^$D.
"Other dogs that may be affected
It is important to note the word “type”, as none of the prohibited dogs are recognised
breeds in Great Britain. The terms of section 1 of the DDA make it clear that it applies
not only to “pure” Pit Bull Terriers but also to any dog of the type known as the Pit
Bull Terrier.
Whether section 1 of the DDA applies to any particular cross will depend on whether
the resulting dog is of the prohibited type – that is to say, whether it has the
physical and behavioural characteristics of the prohibited type. Remember that the
characteristics are essential in deciding whether or not the dog is prohibited. Not
all Pit Bull Terriers will be described as a Pit Bull Terrier by their owner. Some owners
may deliberately misrepresent the breed of their dog using terms such as American
Staffordshire Terriers (Am Staffs or ASTs), American Bulldogs and the Presa Canaria.
Other names used to describe the Pit Bull Terrier types may be Irish Staffordshire Bull
Terriers (not to be confused with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier bred in Ireland), Old
Fashioned Staffords or Traditional Staffords. There are likely to be other names being
used by people breeding fighting dogs."
Same source...
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welf...ogsleaflet.pdf
Closed Thread
Page 10 of 37 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »