Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Too flippin' true!

I haven't posted on this thread cos I know it doesn't matter what you say there will always be an excuse given for those on benefits that are basically unwilling to work. It's about time the rules changed and benefits are given only those that are in need, not for those in want! Benefits are there to keep people out of poverty, not keep them in luxury. And no matter what anyone says, there are lots of people out there who fit this very description.
...and equally there are lots that dont!
All im trying to say is that you cant tar everyone with the same brush!
My father lost his job under Margaret Thatcher, when there was pretty much no benefit system and mass unemployment. Boy did we struggle to live day to day and i was bullied as a result of this throughout school. My mum got severe depression, having to leave my sister as a new born baby because she was the only one that worked. So do i want no benefit system etc...no i do not, its neccesary for those that need a helping hand.
There will always be cheats in every walk of society, you only have to look at the news recently with bankers and poloticians to see it is not just the low incomed that cheat.
We need to educate people and inspire them not condemn them, because all you are doing is getting them to stick two fingers back up at you!
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2010, 10:42 PM
10k a year would have been an absolute fortune pre child benefit, my first teaching job earned me less than £50 a month after tax
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
All the encouragement in the world will not help those who don't want to work.

And there at plenty of people around who fit that bill.

Not everyone who is on benefits have fallen on hard times or are unable to work through ill health or such like.

There are to many in society who see "benefits " as a right, and are happy to stay on them for life, yet they demand to be kept with all the luxuries in life, that others have to work hard and save for.
Then they should be looked at individually as is the system now. I have IME just found that people lose their hope and feel society has nothing to offer them, i just think we need to give people the oppotunity to change and be inspired.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
...and equally there are lots that dont!
All im trying to say is that you cant tar everyone with the same brush!
My father lost his job under Margaret Thatcher, when there was pretty much no benefit system and mass unemployment. Boy did we struggle to live day to day and i was bullied as a result of this throughout school. My mum got severe depression, having to leave my sister as a new born baby because she was the only one that worked. So do i want no benefit system etc...no i do not, its neccesary for those that need a helping hand.
There will always be cheats in every walk of society, you only have to look at the news recently with bankers and poloticians to see it is not just the low incomed that cheat.
We need to educate people and inspire them not condemn them, because all you are doing is getting them to stick two fingers back up at you!
Some people use the benefits system correctly, most don't IME.

I'm not going to go into the ins and outs, I know what people get up to and how they cheat the system. Behind my housing estate is one of the towns council estates, I've had friends that live there and know fine well what they get up to without having to work a day in their life. They certainly didn't go without, in fact they lived better than I did!

It's about time we started getting a bit tougher and making sure only those that truly need benefits are on them. I really don't have a problem with people genuniely claiming benefits, I do have a problem with those that claim because they don't want or don't think they should work. That's what I really can't abide.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Some people use the benefits system correctly, most don't IME.

I'm not going to go into the ins and outs, I know what people get up to and how they cheat the system. Behind my housing estate is one of the towns council estates, I've had friends that live there and know fine well what they get up to without having to work a day in their life. They certainly didn't go without, in fact they lived better than I did!

It's about time we started getting a bit tougher and making sure only those that truly need benefits are on them. I really don't have a problem with people genuniely claiming benefits, I do have a problem with those that claim because they don't want or don't think they should work. That's what I really can't abide.
I agree with you
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Too flippin' true!

I haven't posted on this thread cos I know it doesn't matter what you say there will always be an excuse given for those on benefits that are basically unwilling to work. It's about time the rules changed and benefits are given only to those that are in need, not for those in want! Benefits are there to keep people out of poverty, not keep them in luxury. And no matter what anyone says, there are lots of people out there who fit this very description.

To true,!!

Originally Posted by joto View Post
For those who claim their families didn't have child benefit ...you must be very old, child benefit was given in the 50s, might have been called something else then,child allowence possible ,but it was not means tested, it was given for the second and subsequent children.

I know because I used to go and collect it for my mum.
very very old, the 50`s was such an age ago
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
You know, i just love it when people say that those without education had no ther choice, or they need help, come from low income families etc...

Well i come from a family of five where my dad earned approx 10k per year...had no benefits WHATSOEVER - they didnt have WFTC or child benefit when i grew up!

My father was raised in one of the poorest areas of liverpool where the majority where living off the state

But ...all three of us went to school, acheived good grades, two of us went to uni, al three of us are in well paid jobs, our own homes, own cars, and families of our own...

Newsflash... we didnt need hand outs or benefits or community workers to inspire us...we dont work we dont eat... we were raised with pride and dignity....

I think now a days no one challenges societys bums! its expected now! Its not seen as shameful to have to have help from the state, its not frowned upon..
But i think this is becauses it became too easy and became the norm.... not only that but most have an attitude of "why should i work"

We need a radically changed program of benefits...cut those of from beneifts that are able but unwilling to work...bring back workhouses or enforced work for those on benefits Sod infringement of human rights (cos most will say its a breach of them!...thats not human rights!)

They want a roof over their head and food in their belly...they should work for it! we are far too soft!!!
Excellent post.

Its not about feeling proud about it i acn assure you. Its about shame and embarrasment and if i could help someone to get on a course and get them on their way, then why the hell not.
What job can you get without filling in a form these days?
Plenty, manual labour, factory work, I don't think the polish people who work down the docks here speak a lot of English yet they work all the hours under the sun for at the most minimum wage!

Like I said even if they're shamed that they didn't learn to read or write at school (which is provided for every child in this country for free) and you insist that every job requires a form to be filled in, then they need to go to the job center and get it filled in there - where they won't be mocked. They have to fill in forms to sign on so whats the difference?

Its ridiculous, we're the softest country ever, why should half of my salary go to fund other people's laziness? The more I earn, the more I lose! Yet the lower their salary, the more they get handed on a plate!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 06:47 PM
You know, i just love it when people say that those without education had no ther choice, or they need help, come from low income families etc...

When did i say that? im from a low income family.

If you look again at my original answer...you shall see your name was never mentioned!

Well i come from a family of five where my dad earned approx 10k per year...had no benefits WHATSOEVER - they didnt have WFTC or child benefit when i grew up!
Same here, although we did have child benefit

My father was raised in one of the poorest areas of liverpool where the majority where living off the state

But ...all three of us went to school, acheived good grades, two of us went to uni, al three of us are in well paid jobs, our own homes, own cars, and families of our own...

Me too
Well done!

Newsflash... we didnt need hand outs or benefits or community workers to inspire us...we dont work we dont eat... we were raised with pride and dignity....
Thats great if you have such a caring family who inspire and encourage you...what if you dont?

I think now a days no one challenges societys bums! its expected now! Its not seen as shameful to have to have help from the state, its not frowned upon..

In some cases yes, but not all those on benefits fit this description

Agreed - i should have highlighted that those GENUINLY in need should be exempt from my tirade - for the grace of god and all that....

But i think this is becauses it became too easy and became the norm.... not only that but most have an attitude of "why should i work"

Like i said this is not my experience in the main
Come round Preston, you'll find it is round here!
We need a radically changed program of benefits...cut those of from beneifts that are able but unwilling to work...bring back workhouses or enforced work for those on benefits Sod infringement of human rights (cos most will say its a breach of them!...thats not human rights!)

No we need to inspire people who beleive thsi to be the case so they in turn will do this for the next generation.
Why do they NEED inspiring???????? so they can sit there and blame support worker for not being inspiring enough for them to put down their Benson and Hedges and pint and give up their flat screen Tv?
They want a roof over their head and food in their belly...they should work for it! we are far too soft!!!

Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Bl**dy Hell Alex, you aren't THAT old
For those who claim their families didn't have child benefit ...you must be very old, child benefit was given in the 50s, might have been called something else then,child allowence possible ,but it was not means tested, it was given for the second and subsequent children.

I know because I used to go and collect it for my mum.
10k a year would have been an absolute fortune pre child benefit, my first teaching job earned me less than £50 a month after tax
ok me think i was fibbed to by my daddy! when i asked what benefits or help we got when i was a kid he said we got nowt! harsh words will be spoken for embarassing me! sorry!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Did anyone see the secret millionaire tonight, i ask because it showed pretty much my exp of people on benefits and the people who were inspiring them to make change?
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Did anyone see the secret millionaire tonight, i ask because it showed pretty much my exp of people on benefits and the people who were inspiring them to make change?
But thats exactly what I'm saying if benefits weren't an option, there would be no change to make - it would all have come naturally, school...(Uni - when applicable)....work.
Page 10 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 >