Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
but thats just it - in this kind of situation is their not a responsibility to show that - i would rather have seen them airing all the behind the scenes work than warching the dog be buried - it doesnt make sense - it implies thats all they did - and whilst I know they probably did try other things - they didnt show it and when you are talking about a dogs life - they should make sure its very clear what was and wasnt tried.
It's not their responsibility at all. In a perfect world yes. But in a perfect world the owners would have been responsible for their dogs actions in the first place and prevented this from happening in the first place.

The owners are the ones who should be responsible, not the programme !
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 08:23 PM
but so did the other dog Bramble... - you watched him really growling at the man when he was trying to get him off the bed
Apologies - that is very true, he did
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 08:26 PM
of course its the owners - but when you are showing a dog training programme - should you not show everything involved - I just fear it did not show the big picture. Yes of course its the owners responsibility - but the owners had created the problems in the first place with the dogs and then I just felt that the programme didnt show the most important aspect of this properly - which was ultimately the dog having to be destroyed - too many people get their ideas from telly and training programs like this - so some people will then worry that their dogs growling at them when removing them from furniture etc may result in them one day biting them and having to be put down rather than dealing with the issue of training first.

just felt it left alot to the imagination which isnt a good idea where alot of dog owners are concerned- these people especially beign a good example.
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2006, 08:29 PM
I'd have thought that VS as a dog lover and trainer would have watched the edited episode and decided whether it was fairly put together to show all aspects of it,especially with it being such a serious episode
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by perrypooh View Post
I'd have thought that VS as a dog lover and trainer would have watched the edited episode and decided whether it was fairly put together to show all aspects of it,especially with it being such a serious episode

I am guessing that she wanted to be seen to be doing the "responsible" thing - especially with the recent media attention about dogs biting children.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 08:37 PM
I doubt that VS has much say over the editing and producing of the programmes...
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 08:39 PM
too many people get their ideas from telly and training programs like this - so some people will then worry that their dogs growling at them when removing them from furniture etc may result in them one day biting them and having to be put down rather than dealing with the issue of training first.
I agree with you to an extent but on the other hand, if there are people out there without enough common sense to consider training first, then surely those are the people who are more likely to allow and spoil an aggressive dog in the first place, and so maybe it's for the best. It's usually the 'denial' people that justify their dog biting, when the reason is them !
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Amie View Post
Missed some of the programme,but it seemed to me that this Dog only had problems with Children if this was the case could he not have been re homed to a experienced Adult only Home
Just as an afterthought, who would take on a dog that had bitten twice before, once unprovoked? In a perfect world there would be a good home for every single dog, but unfortunately this is far from a perfect world. There are already thousands of "problem free" dogs waiting for homes in rescue kennels up and down the country.

I do wish the programme had been able to go further in-depth about why the vet gave the same advice as VS but ultimately I think the family had no choice
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 09:12 PM
The programme had me really upset , as Daisy was a black cocker and, although she was small for her breed, she was the spit of this dog when she was younger. It brought her death back to me and I wasn't expecting it or my reaction to be honest.

I worry that it will damage the reputation of cockers and that it could affect peoples' attitudes towards these wonderful dogs.

I would have preferred it if they had covered off why it could not have been rehomed with a non-child owner for clarity's sake. By saying that, I am taking VS at her word that the dog could not have been rehomed of course. Very, very sad.
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 09:13 PM
I didn't see the programme but have to say that, in those circumstances, I too would have the dog put to sleep.

Many years ago we rehomed a Jack Russell terrier that had belonged to some neighbours and had been teased mercilessly by their children and one day he nipped one in self-defence. They were going to have the dog put down but asked us if we wanted it first.

He was only 9 months old so my parents said we would take him and see if we could make a difference with this dog living in a home where he was treated properly. He was very wary to begin with but gradually settled in to our home. In view of his background he was never left alone with any of us children but one day my brother was sitting watching the TV with the rest of our family and the dog was asleep in the room. All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, the dog flew across the room and bit my brother on the leg and hand.

We took him to the vet to have him checked out and he bit the vet as well. We asked about rehoming him to a farm or someone who had no children but the vet, rightly so, pointed out that it could never be guaranteed that he would never come into contact with children at some point so we could not take the risk.

So sadly we agreed to have him PTS and I still believe it was the only thing we could have done. It was not a nice decision to have to make but people's safety always has to come first in my opinion.
Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »