Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2013, 12:30 PM

Shots in Game (Raw)

I have pheasant mince to feed my littl'uns (and it smells delicious!) and sometimes I'll find a little metal ball in their bowls when they are finished - other game meats on suppliers websites also say "may contain shot"

I don't know what shots are made from and since I find them in their bowls I assume they aren't eating loads, but does anyone know if they are going to cause any damage at all if they are swallowed??
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Shotgun "shot" is made from lead, but I doubt there could be enough in minced game sold by reputable companies to be dangerous.

Lead Poisoning in Dogs
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Measures were introduced decades ago to restrict the use of lead pellets near important wetlands and sites of special scientific interest but they are not working, with many shotgun owners admitting that they flaunt the rules. So best to assume any shot is lead shot. I definitely would not want any of my pets ingesting lead.

Chris Perrins, a distinguished ornithologist at Oxford University and the Queen’s Warden of the Swans, said that the Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution recommended in 1983 that lead shotgun pellets should be phased out with shooters using “non-toxic” alternatives, such as steel shot.

“Yet here we are nearly 30 years on and we are still using them…We don’t need lead and yet we’re increasingly adding lead to the environment year by year,” Dr Perrins said.
I see first hand the damage done to beautiful birds like flamingos by lead shot. I think every shot fired releases around 300 pellets and most of them fall to the ground to be eating by birds.
Caramel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-09-2013, 01:04 PM
A friend of mine only recently put up some x-ray pics of her Whippet on Face-Book. Several lead shots in his digestive system, dog feeling sick, quite high vet bills .. I personally wouldn't feed it to my dog.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2013, 01:06 PM
From rawfed.com

If you are feeding wild game, it is recommended that you check it thoroughly for shot and that you freeze it for at least 24 hours prior to feeding to kill any parasites. If you know your source, however, the freezing is not always necessary. It is just recommended. Be aware that upland game birds (quail, pheasant, dove, etc.) are all shot with lead shot. If a dog or cat ingests the lead pellets, lead poisoning can occur. So if you feed these animals, check them thoroughly for lead pellets. Wild game is a wonderful addition to any carnivore's diet.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Lead poisoning causes irreversible health effects and there is no 'cure' for lead poisoning. I don't have a clue how much shot would be dangerous I just wouldn't feed it to my dog.

And I hate 'game' and the first time I was served it by a huntin' shootin' fishin' family I found shot in it. And it all just tastes like FISH to me!
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Would it be worth buying whole pheasant? It's much easier to find any shot in it
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2013, 01:23 PM
I've never even considered buying a pheasant whole or otherwise for any of my dogs!
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I've never even considered buying a pheasant whole or otherwise for any of my dogs!
It goes down well in our house, both for us and the dog, even Kizzy cat like a bit now and then

It has usually been in the slow cooker for hours though with bacon and red wine
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2013, 02:29 PM
The terror!!
At least they seem to be spitting them out though - good job I only got a bit to try

Maybe I'll grow some pheasants in the garden to supply to the "scared shotless" crowd
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >