Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Why would you need to remove the bone from the dog ?

My dogs are fed raw so bones are part of their diet why would I want to take away my dogs food ??

This is totally different to teaching your dog to give something up willing that he/she possibly shouldn't have & is something that those who believe in "Pack leader"etc do. I'm not a dog pack leader as I am not a dog so I ask again why would I want to do this ?

BTW a PWD isn't a large breed they are around the size of a Border Collie
For a myriad of reasons - you shouldn't need to have a reason if you are in control of your dog. My dogs are fed raw bones too, but sometimes I might want to pick them up - on holiday for instance, they would lie on the decking outside eating their bones. When it was time to come in for bed, we would pick the bones up and put them in an airtight box in the fridge so the flies didn't lay eggs on them. They are not allowed to eat their bones in the house, nor are they allowed to in the car.

I am a pack leader, or at least I try to be, so I believe that I should be able to take anything off my boys without being bitten.

PWD's might not be large dogs, but TW's utonagans are ... hence the reason she likes to train her babies when they are tiny.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2013, 01:09 PM
PLEASE someone put me out of my misery!! What is pressed bone!!!
FluffHippo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
]

I think it is absolutely vital - particularly with large dogs like those that TW has - that they should be trained from a very early age to allow their owners to take a bone off them should it be deemed necessary. To a dog, a bone - especially a meaty one - is a prized possession, an extremely valuable piece of nutrition and an essential tool in the wild for canids to keep their teeth clean. Any dog will be pretty pissed if you take his bone away, so it is a very good idea to start at a very young age before you can sustain a serious injury and train them to allow the bone to be removed for whatever reason. Their reward is a nice piece of chicken or whatever.

With an adult, grown up dog, it is far harder. It is an excellent idea IMO to train your puppy to know that you might have to remove his valued bone.
I totally agree. My dogs are trained to allow even my youngest child to take things off them. If not a child could take something accidentally and have no arm left.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
PLEASE someone put me out of my misery!! What is pressed bone!!!
Rawhide, I think
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-07-2013, 01:54 PM
What exactly is gained by gving a dog something to eat & then taking back ? This is different to teaching a dog to give up a toy for a reward(which leads on to the leave it command)
Why would you need to remove the bone from the dog ?

My dogs are fed raw so bones are part of their diet why would I want to take away my dogs food ??

This is totally different to teaching your dog to give something up willing that he/she possibly shouldn't have & is something that those who believe in "Pack leader"etc do. I'm not a dog pack leader as I am not a dog so I ask again why would I want to do this ?

BTW a PWD isn't a large breed they are around the size of a Border Collie

In case there is a problem and food needs to be taken away
Marley has rawhide that is much to big for him to eat at once so I need to be able to take it away when ever
Also for raw fed dogs lots of people but big bones or I know some one that feeds heads to small dogs so needs to be able to take food away
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone, was beginning to think I was out there on my own once more.
My puppies leave me not having a problem with anything, they can be groomed, eyes, teeth and ears examined, tummy tickled, anything taken off them and given back, or maybe not. They do not worry because they know they are fine and nothing bad is going to happen, not the end of the world if their brekkie is moved whilst I mop the floor, or I hoover, or clean the crate out and move them out of the way temporarily.
I even make a point of playing with their tails when I pass them, I try to think of everything that could happen to them, if they are prepared for it then they won't react negatively
KC woman well impressed with Keshi on Sunday when it came to grooming and examining her.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
Rawhide, I think
That'll be why I didn't know what it was then, I haven't given any of my dogs rawhide since the '80's when I pulled about 18inches of rawhide out of my Boxers throat as he was gagging and retching. 'orrible stuff.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-07-2013, 02:27 PM
No I don't give rawhide or cooked bones either for the same reason
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
That'll be why I didn't know what it was then, I haven't given any of my dogs rawhide since the '80's when I pulled about 18inches of rawhide out of my Boxers throat as he was gagging and retching. 'orrible stuff.
Same here. Bella was 'silently' retching - and it was the neighbour sat outside with me that noticed it. I hooked a quite large chunk of 'partially soggy' rawhide from her throat and haven't ever given her any since. No way.

Regarding all the 'pack leader' stuff - having owned dogs most of my long legged 64yr old life - I've never given that a thought and never will.

*as for pressed 'bones' - rawhide chews aren't made from bone anyway are they? I always thought it was 'hide', 'skin', whatever - not bone. I do give my dog raw bones. No problems with that.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-07-2013, 03:02 PM
I don't see it as being pack leader at all tbh. I just think it's taught for practical reasons, you never know when or why you might need to take something off them in a hurry and you don't want the first time you do it to be an emergency situation, better they are accustomed to stuff being taken off them and it's seen as no big deal.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »