Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Im not too sure why everyone keeps calling a pound a rescue?
hence my asking what the name of this place is?
OP said they were looking on 'another site' about rescues - given the assessment & timescale of rescue (not wanting them homed ASAP) I assumed it was a rescue that deals with poundies, e.g. like Hope does.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2012, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
OP said they were looking on 'another site' about rescues - given the assessment & timescale of rescue (not wanting them homed ASAP) I assumed it was a rescue that deals with poundies, e.g. like Hope does.
you could well be right. which is why i am trying to find out whom they are. i would be curious to know if the organisation are aware that the OP is also getting a pup?
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Yet again your post has two conflicting messages.
You say the dogs are loved, will be well exercised and looked after but then you say OP should find another home for the girls.
OP has said that she was picked from many other applicants - therefore there are other home offers for these girls already. If OP lets the rescue know she cannot take them, then they can go straight into one of these other homes without the disruption of moving to OP's, settling with another dog, only to be shifted again.

I'm not saying this to jump on a bandwagon, just because the majority of members all agree, does not mean their individual opinions aren't all just as valid.

Love is important but love alone does not make a home suitable. I would love any dog that came here but that does not mean I could take in any dog in need at any time. It would have to be the right dog, the right time and the right circumstances for it to work for everyone involved.
I'm a Libra I can't help it!!

Anywho in my heart I think the right decission has been made to rescue these girls from a terrible fate which is how I read it but for the wrong reasons.IE this member has all ready commited to a puppy I do think three dog will be a handfull!

BUT

In the same sense I think the owner is a good one and will do what is best for them I just feel that some posts on here have been really judgemental!

I don't think anyone has the right to dout a fellow members capability till the know them personally. Though I can see the concern with two adults and a young pup.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
In the same sense I think the owner is a good one and will do what is best for them I just feel that some posts on here have been really judgemental!

I don't think anyone has the right to dout a fellow members capability till the know them personally. Though I can see the concern with two adults and a young pup.

I do not mean to sound patronising however that is where those of use who have been around for some time, deal with the fallout, assess homes and assess dogs for rescue have perhaps a less rose tinted view of the world.

I am afraid that you can see the writing on the wall when someone refuses to benefit from the knowledge and experience of others and some of us have the best interests of the dogs at heart, not that of the owner.

HAving dogs PTS is NOT the worst outcome for dogs in rescue and until and unless people understand this, more dogs will go into unsuitable homes; more owners will live unhappy lives and the dogs may end up in rescue (again) with a smaller chance of being rehomed.

Sorry, but there is no room for sentimentality in rescue.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 08:04 AM
I'm a Libra I can't help it!!

Anywho in my heart I think the right decission has been made to rescue these girls from a terrible fate which is how I read it but for the wrong reasons.IE this member has all ready commited to a puppy I do think three dog will be a handfull!

BUT

Yes, but the OP did ask the question and, from the replies to her previous post, would know what sort of response she would get - a bit of a glutton for punishment if you ask me - on both counts.

Personally, I think she is heading for disaster. You forget just what hard work puppies are until you are faced with one and to consider taking on two siblings as well (and bitches at that) is beyond my comprehension, even with help. She is not even sure how old these dogs are and, to repeat my previous post, I don't see why they can't be separated and given to one of the other 'many' applicants.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 08:08 AM
I just have one question....

What are you going to do if these girls take a serious dislike to your new puppy??

Not all dogs like or can tolerate puppies, and you have no history on these two, coupled with the fact there are two of them with an already established relationship...
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Why am I getting the feeling that someone is trying to sound so good and so kind and get kudos for having been chosen to rescue two dogs who would otherwise be pts - being chosen out of so many other applicants?

I mean if there were so many other applicants the dogs would not be pts...

...and of course the dogs in question are such a desperately wanted breed that people are queuing up for them...

Sorry, but this just does not sound right to me although I will, of course, apologise if I am barking up the wrong tree.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I do not mean to sound patronising however that is where those of use who have been around for some time, deal with the fallout, assess homes and assess dogs for rescue have perhaps a less rose tinted view of the world.

I am afraid that you can see the writing on the wall when someone refuses to benefit from the knowledge and experience of others and some of us have the best interests of the dogs at heart, not that of the owner.

HAving dogs PTS is NOT the worst outcome for dogs in rescue and until and unless people understand this, more dogs will go into unsuitable homes; more owners will live unhappy lives and the dogs may end up in rescue (again) with a smaller chance of being rehomed.

Sorry, but there is no room for sentimentality in rescue.
I honestly get this but if this was the case then these two staffies would not have wound up in home were a new pup had all ready been commited first. It also sounds very sudden to have happen so quickly are home checks this quick?

Rescues have a responsibility to use their experiences to find the right home for the dog with everyones best interests at heart. In otherwords the owner's life style is taken into consideration,the dogs they have all ready and other pets, other family members ect.

I just feel that some posts in this thread could have been left out like the comment about byb's I thought the idea was to educate members why certain things a wrong not judge them and their ability by their posts.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Why am I getting the feeling that someone is trying to sound so good and so kind and get kudos for having been chosen to rescue two dogs who would otherwise be pts - being chosen out of so many other applicants?

I mean if there were so many other applicants the dogs would not be pts...

...and of course the dogs in question are such a desperately wanted breed that people are queuing up for them...

Sorry, but this just does not sound right to me although I will, of course, apologise if I am barking up the wrong tree.
exactly, i just think there is an ulterior motive, i've been arounf rescue too long not to be Cynical, its hard enough rehoming a pair of springers let alone a pair of staffies
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 08:16 AM
I don't think there's any need to know a member personally to be concerned that a young puppy and 2 relatively unasessed young rescue dogs from a pound situation is going to be a bad combination. The majority of the posts are not judgemental of the poster at all but expressing concern at the situation. I would be concerned regardless of experience, because while experience may help manage the situation, experience may not prevent the two sisters from disliking the puppy, experience can't invent extra hours in the day to spend on training etc.
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »