Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Personally I put temperament on the same level as health. If bad each of those can cause misery to dogs and owners. If anything temperament is slightly higher on my scale.

That makes it difficult in lots of breeds.

rune
I agree with you. There are many, many considerations that a decent breeder has to take on board
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 01:51 PM
yep - breeding well is fraught with difficulties and is impossible to make up generic 'rules' that will suit all breeds - it's all too easy to go with a hard line on supposed priorities but the reality is seldom that simple.

The most important thing is to stop the blame game when problems are discovered - if breeders are vilified for producing dogs with something like epilepsy for example they are more likely to hide such problems and refuse to take part in DNA testing etc - this is a disaster for any breed - we need honesty and a sharing of information - anyone who breeds for any length of time will have produced dogs with one problem or another at some point ( myself included ! ) - it's the nature of what we are dealing with....and the public needs to be realistic in their expectations of what breeders can do...the world is a different place now - when I bred my first litter 25 years ago there were no mandatory health tests and genes were something you wore when walking the dogs - now every year brings more and more advances in our kniowledge ..and with that comes even more complex choices .....the future is exciting in that we can at last work with geneticists to try and eliminate many health problems affecting our beloved breeds - but such solutions will inevitably have to be worked on a breed by breed basis and in many cases they will involve a degree of line breeding and and take at least 3-4 generations ...
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
The most important thing is to stop the blame game when problems are discovered - if breeders are vilified for producing dogs with something like epilepsy for example they are more likely to hide such problems and refuse to take part in DNA testing etc - this is a disaster for any breed - we need honesty and a sharing of information
Very much agree with this!
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 01:58 PM
This may be a silly question, but are there not enough clear dogs here and abroad to eliminate the need to breed from carriers??
there are clear dogs ...and there are dogs with outstanding temperaments..and dogs with excellent hip and eye tests, and dogs with great construction and type and others with good working ability - and very occasionally there are dogs that have it all ...and the world and his wife beats a path to their door to use them !

.....we must have the 'wriggle room' that using carriers allows us if we are not to simply eliminate one problem and allow another to take it's place
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I said to look at the big picture and breed MORE really good dogs but to take less litters from each of them
I said not to knee jerk just because we have a test like HD to actually study the results of inheritance and things before simply ruling out dogs
To ask questions as to WHY a bad result is a bad result

I havent at any point said to breed from unhealthy dogs - but of course you like to put words in my mouth

Are you saying that in numerically large breeds like labs there are not enough healthy dogs that we have to heavilly inbreed and use the same sire again and again?
and tbh if there are breeds that that is actually the case then these breeds are prety much doomed anyway

am I saying to breed from a carrier of a horrible condiion - no of course not - if we are 100% sure about how the condition is passed on and we can wipe it out of a breed with testing

am I saying not to breed from a dog with what is considered a 'bed' result on hips - if there is no ecidence of anything but a number on paper and the dog is in no way suffering then until we have more research done on this condition then more things have to be taken into considerations

Health testing is ONE thing
But I think breeders and fanciers are using it as a crutch so they dont have to look at other issues like popular sire syndrome and linebreeding

Health testing can be very usefull to remove some (fairly rare) conditions from a breed (which lets face it are only a problem in a individual breed because of the excessive line breeding used to 'fix' things in a breed) which is a good thing
But the ever shrinking gene pool is a time bomb than can potentially cause a whole breed to be wiped out as their imune system becomes more and more similar one breed can be wiped out by one desease - it is a real concern
Am I where did you pick that impression up from
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I think they are both as bad as each other... but, I would assume, if someone went to the trouble, and expense, of health testing a dog that they see the importance of it. So, to then ignore bad results doesn't indicate to me, that they are aiming to breed healthy dogs.

IMO, there are many factors in what dog should be bred... And it should be ALL of those things together, that count towards whether a dog should be used or not. Would you agree with someone breeding a dog who is a perfect example of the breed in looks, and has excellent health test results, but has an awful temperament?
Absolutely not - and the irony of your statements have not gone unnoticed!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Have we really got to a point where it is so difficult to find healthy, well adjusted dogs that look like the breed they are meant to be??

If so, we've stuffed up more than I ever thought we could
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Have we really got to a point where it is so difficult to find healthy, well adjusted dogs that look like the breed they are meant to be??

If so, we've stuffed up more than I ever thought we could
No I don`t think so...
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2012, 04:03 PM
In some breeds, Rough Collie's being one, I know from the mouths of quite a few breeders that juggling temperament, health, conformation and genetic diversity is quite a task. In fore mentioned breed lots of breeders are either importing, or biting the bullet and health testing and subsequently breeding at their own discression.
Hunter is out of a clear of CEA bitch but by a very slight (according to the relevant bodies) affected Dog (both had good hip scores and were clear for the MDR), the result were two clears, two carriers and two affected but believed if retested would be a go clear. But that said this litter had a MUCH lower COI than breed average and most others in the breed, with what is shaping up to eb great confirmation and sound temperaments.
In certain breeds, I can totally see why it's a weigh up of conscience and balancing the requirements of their breeding stock. In others however I can't see the need for it.
That said I'm entirely against studs being used too exessively either.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Very much agree with this!
me too

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Am I where did you pick that impression up from
Well appolagies if I have picked it up wrong but from the fact that you seem to suggest that my idea of breeding MORE dogs but taking less litters from each of them would mean breeding from unhealthy dogs
Which then leads me to believe that you think there is no problems with the method we currently have of overusing popular sires and heavily inbreeding from a much smaller number of dogs
If you have an alternative then please share it

I have seen a few blog posts that are pretty relivent to this thread so I thought I would share them here

This image is take from
http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot....-much-haw.html
The breeder is proud of these puppies because she has carefully bred to hopefully eliminate the chance of the puppies going blind from glucoma
She says that she would always pick not getting glucoma over 'a little too much haw' every time
Check the rest of the photos out poor puppies - but on paper they are healthy

http://www.astraean.com/borderwars/2...h-testing.html
Very good post here too
Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 >