Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I think Dawn, the bitches breeder and the stud dogs breeder are one and the same

Unless I am mistaken, mcrobs bitches came from Glenauld, as is the stud dog??

Apologies if I am wrong, but thats the way it came across on the programme
I took it this way too J.
Brainless
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
You are all missing one tiny but important pointer here. A lot of the dogs affected are diagnosed young & die young. There are a few & granted they are a few, that have JKD who live beyond expectations. I have one of them beside me at present who has been utterly wretchedly sick for the past two days

You can blame new breeders for being niave at the start of their breeding/show career etc etc however you could have some feeling for those of us with affected dogs. I wouldnt blame Sharon if she didnt come back to Dogsey.

Blaming achieves absolutely nothing, the situation is here & seemingly not small scale. Everybody NEEDS to work together to help control this dreadful disease

Katie has always had a weak bladder & i say that loosely, for years she was treated for bladder infections. It took us after we moved house & had a change of Vets, who wanted to do investigations, to find out the shocking truth, that we had a dog in Stage 3 renal disease.

For goodness sake get off your high horses and start to think about what really matters - how best to
proceed from now onwards!!
What a sensible post. Sometimes it seems that people believe that caring breeders would deliberately breed dogs with nasty/lethal health issues.

Sadly issues only come to light after the event, when statistically significant numbers of a problem are seen, which may be several generations later, and often after the dog is dead or no longer being used.

People are not realising that the dog mentioned was no longer used once the findings were brought to the attention of breed clubs in late 2010.

There is a silver lining, the only way to get a DNA test is to study affected dogs and their relatives and compare to unaffected (we assume) controls.

Sometimes as in my breed the very diligence for earlier breeders to avoid lines with problems has made it very difficult to eradicate them, purely as the incidence is too low to gain enough research material (DNA samples) they sit there in low numbers but ever likely to rear their ugly head eventually.

All breeds need to start taking and storing DNA samples from dogs at club events, so that they can be used for future research, should something crop up.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Trouble is unaffected means nothing really does it,they could be unaffected yet carriers,if it is that both parents have to have the gene to produce affected pups then you could unknowingly mate two unaffected's that are both carriers and produce affected pups.
As far as i understand it Sal they need to have the affected gene to be carriers
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by mcrobs View Post
Thanks for that info, it does seem to be very much what we are finding, diagnosis to death is a very short period of time, although unregistered, do you know his bloodlines ?
Sorry for being vague - he wasn't a Boxer.
Brainless
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2012, 10:40 PM
In my breed FRD is suspected, due to a cluster of cases in Holland and USA, and our breed club ask for kidney function to be tested, but unfortunately this is really a rubber stamping job, as my vet told me the bloods would not show abnormality until the dog falls below 20% of kidney function.

So if your bringing in a fit and healthy animal to be used for breeding he doesn't really need to perform a blood test to confirm the results will be normal.

We have been told that only a biopsy of the kidney can tell you for sure if the kidneys are abnormal, and this is far to invasive and potentially dangerous to be used as a diagnostic test, and then of course ti could only identify affecteds.

Inherited Abnormal development of the kidneys seems to occur in quite a few breeds, and they do have an Optigen DNA test in Cocker Spaniels. Unfortunately as in PRA, often the same/similar conditions can be caused by different genes in different breeds/populations.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Brainless View Post
In my breed FRD is suspected, due to a cluster of cases in Holland and USA, and our breed club ask for kidney function to be tested, but unfortunately this is really a rubber stamping job, as my vet told me the bloods would not show abnormality until the dog falls below 20% of kidney function.

So if your bringing in a fit and healthy animal to be used for breeding he doesn't really need to perform a blood test to confirm the results will be normal.

We have been told that only a biopsy of the kidney can tell you for sure if the kidneys are abnormal, and this is far to invasive and potentially dangerous to be used as a diagnostic test, and then of course ti could only identify affecteds.

Inherited Abnormal development of the kidneys seems to occur in quite a few breeds, and they do have an Optigen DNA test in Cocker Spaniels. Unfortunately as in PRA, often the same/similar conditions can be caused by different genes in different breeds/populations.
My Elkhound died of kidney disease which the vets said was genetic. He was from a commercial kennels (pet supermarket type place) and we believe he was originally from Ireland, so most likely a puppy farm. His pedigree may well have been made up - it had some well known names in it but most were spelled badly. Sadly there were a number of Elkhound crosses around within the last few years and I wonder if the parents of these dog were from the same source.

Sorry to go off topic.
Brainless
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Exactly.

IMO there should be a limit to the number of litters a stud can sire
In FCI countries the FCI breeding strategies document advises that a dog should be limited to producing fewer puppies than 5% of the total of five years registration statistics. Some countries have set this limit.

In that case this dog has produced less.

In my own breed in this country would limit a dog to being used around only 4 times in his life depending on litter size (24 puppies).

This could mean problems in a dog using up his allocation of use all in a his youth, where he may have been more useful to the gene pool on future generations of bitches as a mature and proven long lived healthy dog.

As a stud dog owner how do you refuse one really nice bitch that may perhaps be better than earlier mates.

I think with over use of sires it is the bitch owners who have the ball in their court, and who should be looking at alternative options.
Boxacrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Brainless View Post
People are not realising that the dog mentioned was no longer used once the findings were brought to the attention of breed clubs in late 2010.
He was used in 2011, as per working group BRS, 5 litters - 17 pups registered.
Brainless
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
My Elkhound died of kidney disease which the vets said was genetic. He was from a commercial kennels (pet supermarket type place) and we believe he was originally from Ireland, so most likely a puppy farm. His pedigree may well have been made up - it had some well known names in it but most were spelled badly. Sadly there were a number of Elkhound crosses around within the last few years and I wonder if the parents of these dog were from the same source.

Sorry to go off topic.
In some ways the pedigree dog is an easy target, as there are records. As you say the unregsitered dog may well have had well known dogs names thrown into a made up pedigree.
Brainless
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Boxacrazy View Post
He was used in 2011, as per working group BRS, 5 litters - 17 pups registered.
Could these have been late registrations of litters conceived before/during Oct 2010, as surely the stud dog owner would not make such a statement that can be easily verified????
Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 >