Female 

13-08-2011, 06:45 PM
So glad you are sorted.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Pleased to hear the crate is working!

Thought I would mention this as someone elsewhere has had a similar issue, they tried a Thundershirt and it worked. I've heard mixed reviews on these, they seem to work for some dogs not others, but PAH have apparently just started stocking them.

They aren't cheap but they would be something that would sell on Ebay if they didn't work.
(If anyone knows anyone selling one, let me know!)
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
great news Kerryowner
Thanks!
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
So glad you are sorted.
Thankyou
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Pleased to hear the crate is working!

Thought I would mention this as someone elsewhere has had a similar issue, they tried a Thundershirt and it worked. I've heard mixed reviews on these, they seem to work for some dogs not others, but PAH have apparently just started stocking them.

They aren't cheap but they would be something that would sell on Ebay if they didn't work.
(If anyone knows anyone selling one, let me know!)
They did a review on one of those in "Dogs Monthly" September issue I think. Haven't seen them in our PAH store yet.

Are they for the stressed dog or the stressed owner?
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Are they for the stressed dog or the stressed owner?
Thundershirt for the dog - straitjacket for the owner!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 10:01 PM
We're still having problems with Izzy barking at a lot of things when she is travelling in the car. She barks at people (some, not all), other dogs and cyclists. I hoovered the car out yesterday and re-arranged things so that her crate is in the hatch and I put a blanket over the top and she travels in there. She can't see anything and thus no barking! I must admit I do feel a bit cruel but it is a safety issue as I found the barking very distracting whilst driving and she is so quiet now. Parker is also happier as he has the back seat to himself (and a bit of peace and quiet!) and he was rather squashed with the crate taking up most of the back seat. He travels in a Clix safety harness which clips into the back seat-belt holder.

Izzy was used to travelling in the hatch of her owner's car and this had a deeper boot than ours so I guess she wouldn't have been able to see out. There is a gap either side of the crate so she gets enough air supply.

I don't know why I feel mean but I do but sometimes you cannot deal with the problem behaviour and have to do a work-around. I guess it is just because I was always used to Cherry and Parker sitting on the back seat together. Cherry was lovely in that respect though-she very rarely barked -she was such a quiet dog.

I am trying to think that is must be better for Izzy not to be barking at things all the time in the car as it probably is stressful for her being set off by things like this?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Covering up the cage is a bog standard remedy which solves the problem and reduces the stress for both you and the dog. Sorted.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Covering up the cage is a bog standard remedy which solves the problem and reduces the stress for both you and the dog. Sorted.
Thanks SB I am certainly enjoying the lovely peaceful journeys once again and I am sure the guilt feelings will cease soon. My only concern is that I will forget she is in the car and leave her in there!!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm inclined to agree. A lot of people use a covered crate or a fabric crate etc to keep dogs calmer when travelling. Don't feel mean, Izzy must be feeling calmer if she's not barking. It's a good thing that she's not stressed I doubt she was enjoying the view. If it ain't broke, don't fix it if it's working for her then I'd do it.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I'm inclined to agree. A lot of people use a covered crate or a fabric crate etc to keep dogs calmer when travelling. Don't feel mean, Izzy must be feeling calmer if she's not barking. It's a good thing that she's not stressed I doubt she was enjoying the view. If it ain't broke, don't fix it if it's working for her then I'd do it.
Thanks Amanda
drc239
New Member!
Female 

16-11-2011, 03:54 PM
A couple of people on this thread mentioned a Victoria Stillwell episode ... I'm with them. I remember that show too. She used curtains to block the dogs' view ... then she would give the dogs a glimpse of what's going on outside and as soon as the dogs started to bark, she replaced the curtains. Did it again & again until the dogs got the message. Bark, no view. Stay quiet, enjoy the sights! And what dog doesn't want a view? Love Victoria Stillwell. I'm pretty sure you can google her videos in case you didn't catch the episode directly.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >