Our sister sites
Our sister sites
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-09-2011, 02:28 PM

My lip and hands have the marks from Max's bites

Hi everyone.

I'm still having issues with Max biting me.
He's bitten me on my arm, my fore arm, and even my lower lip.
I've tried the 'no bite' and turn my back on him, and it seemed to slow down a while, but lately (he's 9 days from becoming 6 months old) he's continued.

Few days back, I was running a fever, am Max bit me, I came by reflex, I almost smacked him a bit, but was able to restrain myself.
I don't know what to do to make him stop , before it becomes an unstoppable habit.

Please I'll appreciate suggestions.

Thanks.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 02:34 PM
My favourite - is to teach the dog that skin is for licking. Rub frozen butter on your skin and praise him for licking it, do this a few times a week - or as much as needed (he's a small dog people don't mind as much as a big slobbery tongue) if you do it too much then he could become OCD about licking skin - which in some respects is annoying but so much better than biting.

When he goes to bite you - give him a tug toy or other toy - show him that he can bite those but not you.

Another thing - he's teething, soak a rope toy in chicken soup and freeze it overnight - then the next day - give it him and he will chew for hours, the cold will ease his gums and the rope will hopefully pull out any loose teeth..

I'd carry on with the turning your back on him, yelping when he bites you too - as a puppy would when it's brothers and sisters bite too hard.. praise him for licking skin and also for chewing his toys rather than your hands..
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Personally I would NEVER encourage a dog to connect the mouth to skin, ESPECIALLY when it has already caused injury.

Dogs MUST learn that their lips, teeth, tongue and human skin are not compatible.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Personally I would NEVER encourage a dog to connect the mouth to skin, ESPECIALLY when it has already caused injury.

Dogs MUST learn that their lips, teeth, tongue and human skin are not compatible.
I have to agree with this I think teaching a dog to bite so he learns not effective as one might think.

Millie has teethed all ready and she is bitting again im finding the best thing that worked for her last time was to tuck my arms and turn away or remove myself from the room was the best way to get her to stop bitting. The minute she makes contact with my arm I turn away and this works.

If your going to show a dog how hard to bite a tug toy is the worsed thing to stick in its mouth as its hard! Use a softer toy maybe.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I have to agree with this I think teaching a dog to bite so he learns not effective as one might think.

Millie has teethed all ready and she is bitting again im finding the best thing that worked for her last time was to tuck my arms and turn away or remove myself from the room was the best way to get her to stop bitting. The minute she makes contact with my arm I turn away and this works.

If your going to show a dog how hard to bite a tug toy is the worsed thing to stick in its mouth as its hard! Use a softer toy maybe.
I don't understand the bit in bold - you don't teach a dog how hard to bite - you direct the bite from you to the toy - so a tug toy is a good toy to use, and I found it helped my dogs with teething as it pulled out all the loose teeth... a soft toy has stuffing - which puppies will eat and doesn't particularly soothe the dog as it cannot ease the pain - this is why puppies chew wood and furniture.. they're hard..
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 03:26 PM
....Good advice...except the squealing,imo that makes it worse exp after the 'tiny puppy' stage.

Eta...how did a tiny dog manage to bite your lip? What was u doing?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 05:08 PM
When I first rehomed Dexter, he mouthed and also bit a lot. He had never been taught by his previous owner not to do it.

I realise not everyone agrees with this method, but the one that worked for us was when he bit, we immediately yelped/squealed VERY loudly and turned our backs - for a minute or more if need be.

It sounds as though you were starting to see an improvement; at that point did you maybe stop being so consistent with the anti bite training...? You all have to do it every single time his teeth touch your skin.

If you don't want to yelp, you can give a firm and loud 'NO!!!' and turn your back. Maybe turn your back OR walk away for LONGER than a minute as it sounds like it is a real problem.
samson13
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
When I first rehomed Dexter, he mouthed and also bit a lot. He had never been taught by his previous owner not to do it.

I realise not everyone agrees with this method, but the one that worked for us was when he bit, we immediately yelped/squealed VERY loudly and turned our backs - for a minute or more if need be.

It sounds as though you were starting to see an improvement; at that point did you maybe stop being so consistent with the anti bite training...? You all have to do it every single time his teeth touch your skin.

If you don't want to yelp, you can give a firm and loud 'NO!!!' and turn your back. Maybe turn your back OR walk away for LONGER than a minute as it sounds like it is a real problem.
Totally agree with this ^^^^^
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
....Good advice...except the squealing,imo that makes it worse exp after the 'tiny puppy' stage.

Eta...how did a tiny dog manage to bite your lip? What was u doing?
This pup has been a biter since the OP first posted.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
This pup has been a biter since the OP first posted.
And your point is?

Squealing with a six month pup will excite it even more and think "wow gOod game,I bite they squeak like a toy(or prey)..making it rewarding in itself.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »