Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Anyone else now thinking this is a wind up? Enough nouse to know what has gone on in the distant past on this forum but can't use photobucket.

Posts that sound like they come from Gnashers twin.

rune
Great minds think alike.
beowulf881
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
Goodness only knows where you read that! It sounds like a serious wind-up!!!

Genetic studies have shown quite clearly that both Malamutes and Huskies have been genetically distinct from the wolf for thousands of years - long before either the Spaniel or Setter were created

No they actually aren't. You are confusing look, behaviour and genetics. Mals and Huskies are no closer genetically to the wolf than is a Chinese Crested. GSD's I don't know about, but as they are a "modern" breed, they may or may not have wolf in them somewhere down the line if the founders of the breed had introduced some.
Mals and Huskies (as I said above) only look a little wolflike because that particular "look" - is, in evolutionary terms, very efficient given their geographical origin and the work they were bred for. Similarly, Husky behaviour can be (sort of) described as "wolflike" insofar as they have a pack orientation distinct from many other breeds. This again has less to do with any "closeness" to the wolf, than it does to the work they were developed to do - pull sleds as an efficient team.

Mick
If scientific research has proven that wolves and dogs have the same dna, how can sled dogs be genetically separate?I don't get it
beowulf881
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
your dogs sire was the 'import' yes?.... you sorted photobucket out yet?
It says the pics must be no bigger then 30x30. If thats the case I'll have to reduce any I put on here.
beowulf881
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Anyone else now thinking this is a wind up? Enough nouse to know what has gone on in the distant past on this forum but can't use photobucket.

Posts that sound like they come from Gnashers twin.

rune
I really don't care if anyone believes anything I say or not.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by beowulf881 View Post
If scientific research has proven that wolves and dogs have the same dna, how can sled dogs be genetically separate?I don't get it
The book I'm in the middle of reading basically suggests that dogs are not direct descendants of wolves but that they share a common ancestor. I think that would explain the similarities in DNA?

Someone with a bit more knowledge care to clarify?
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Wow, I want one of those! I'm already lookin up grizzly bear breeders, and when I've finished hybridising them, I'm going to get them to eat my neighbours
Lmao

Google Andrewsarchus, you might be even more impressed.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by murph View Post
What are you reasons for 5?
I just think that by the 5th generation you may start to see more consistant results, assuming there is an aim in mind.

I think F3 is just that little bit to close (jmo) to the pure wolf, to have started to make headway with removing undesirable temperament trates. If it was me breeding, that would be along with health, my first priority, getting things like the correct ear shape, eye colour, coat length are things that can come with time.

Out of interest where would you draw your line and why?
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
The book I'm in the middle of reading basically suggests that dogs are not direct descendants of wolves but that they share a common ancestor. I think that would explain the similarities in DNA?

Someone with a bit more knowledge care to clarify?
Which book is it? I'm in the middle of...3 atm, though only one is specificly to do with the evolution of dogs.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Which book is it? I'm in the middle of...3 atm, though only one is specificly to do with the evolution of dogs.
'100 Silliest Things People Say About Dogs' by Alexandra Semyonova. It's not specifically about evolution but has a big section at the beginning about wolves and dogs. I'm not really sure how much credit to give her theory though because she says some stuff later in the book that I'm not certain I agree with.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-06-2011, 07:35 PM
The DNA of wolves and domestic dogs are so similar that nowadays Scientists refer to domestic dogs as Canis Lupus Familiaris - a sub-division of the gray wolf (Canis Lupus). Having said that, in terms of mitochondrial DNA, there is a minor but significant difference of 0.02% between wolves and domestic dogs, and the latest theories consider that domestic dogs and wolves have been recognisably separate for 12-16,000 years. Archeologists in the Kamchatka region of Siberia have found the remains of domesticated Laika (husky) type dogs dating back 10,000 years.

Mick
Page 19 of 22 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 >