08-06-2011, 03:33 PM
What f would a Czech or saarloos be ??
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
What f would a Czech or saarloos by ??
On one forum I think they work it out - and most (CsV) are between 6-9 generations away (I think). I am not sure about saarloos.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Not at all, I think a lot depends on the individual and where they personally draw the line and say from point x and beyond its just a dog.

The law draws its line at F3, from then and beyond, the animal is classed as domesticated legally, doesn't matter if its a purebreed like a csv or a mix like beowulf's dog, it is a domestic dog in the eyes of the law.

My line is drawn at F5 incase you were wondering.
Thanks for you help, i understand it a lot better now xx
beowulf881
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Really? Funny how people see things differently.

I guess I am trying to establish at what point you would call your dog a dog as opposed to a wolf dog.

I steer clear of the 'w' word as much as possible as I feel it gives people the wrong impression of my dog, because that is what he is - a dog. Granted he is not an 'easy' dog, but he is a dog none the less.
I think you have the right to discuss your W dog as much as you like with like minded people, if other people don't like it they don't have to join in the discussion. They can have a mind of their own, but are also loyal, loving, protective companions, there's an up and down side to every breed of dog, and as long as people research the breed they want properly and can accept the downside, they are perfectly entiltled to own, and discuss them with whoever they want. Some of the people chipping in making 'remarks' to put it mildly, have never had one, and know nothing about them.
beowulf881
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
I don't know anything about GSD's, but the "look" of the Malamute and the Siberian Husky has little, if anything, to do with their wolf origin. They look the way they do because in evolutionary terms, their form and structure is the most efficient and effective form and structure for the environment they live in and the jobs they were designed to do. Both Sibes and Mals are amongst the 14 most ancient breeds of domestic dog, and as such, are in evolutionary terms, further from their wolf origins than most other domestic breeds.

Mick
I did some reading up on the origins, and this is what I read, it said huskies were created by breeding spaniels with arctic wolves, then pups back to wolf, which is why they look more like a wolf than a spaniel, cos so much wolf was left in them, then Malamutes were created by crossing huskies with red setters, then those pups back to arctic wolf to make a similar dog but bigger. It did say that other breeds might have been added in to the mix, but as no accurate records of the breeeding were kept, no-one can be sure.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by beowulf881 View Post
I did some reading up on the origins, and this is what I read, it said huskies were created by breeding spaniels with arctic wolves, then pups back to wolf, which is why they look more like a wolf than a spaniel, cos so much wolf was left in them, then Malamutes were created by crossing huskies with red setters, then those pups back to arctic wolf to make a similar dog but bigger. It did say that other breeds might have been added in to the mix, but as no accurate records of the breeeding were kept, no-one can be sure.
I'm pretty certain that spaniels and setters came after Huskies and Malamutes.
beowulf881
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I agree, i don't think those breeds look like wolves but i have heard other people saying those breeds do, my mum would say that too but she isn't a doggy person. I also think they look much more like wolves than say, a chi etc.
Thankyou, someone who actually 'gets' what I was saying, Mals, Huskies and GSD, are in an evolutionary sense, much closer to their wolf ancesters, which every dog on the planet has evolved from, than for example, boxers, mastifs,etc. which have evolved so far away from them that there are no wolf characteristics left in them at all.
beowulf881
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I'm pretty certain that spaniels and setters came after Huskies and Malamutes.
I'm only saying what I read, it all went on so long ago, who know's what's true and what isn't.
beowulf881
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
So if u dont own a czech or sarloos wolf dog, do u own a imported wolf hybrid or a mix of a few things that kinda looks like a wolf?

Im just curious how this is possible? do u need a licence etc etc?

Ta x
Both these breeds were created by crossing european wolves with GSD's. After lots of generations of breeding they became classified as dogs in Europe, then eventually, were accepted as dogs in Britain. All wolfdogs, whether recognised breed, or hybrid mix, are legal to own without a licence as long as the breeding is 3 generations away from the pure wolf. I had a long conversation with defra before I bought one, to make sure I had the legal side of things worked out. I don't want to buy an illegal dog, which could be confiscated and put to sleep if someone grassed me up, its a one way ticket to a broken heart buying a dog like that. Though other people seem willing to take the risk, but most of them want them for breeding.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by beowulf881 View Post
Thankyou, someone who actually 'gets' what I was saying, Mals, Huskies and GSD, are in an evolutionary sense, much closer to their wolf ancesters, which every dog on the planet has evolved from, than for example, boxers, mastifs,etc. which have evolved so far away from them that there are no wolf characteristics left in them at all.
But as Mick said, the older breeds are evolutionary further, as they were developed first. The GSD is a modern breed, apparently with wolf content somewhere down the line, so that doesn't count. Mals and Huskies are ancient breeds. If we're simply going on timeline though, as in your theory, then Mastiffs would be closer to wolves than GSDs, as they are an ancient breed and GSDs are modern. It's not all black and white though. A lay person may think a Husky or a Mal looks like a wolf, but they have been dogs longer than say, Boxers have. My Mal looks naff all like a wolf. She looks exactly like a Malamute though.
Page 17 of 22 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »