View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Did you not stay to watch your horse killed? All the horses I have been involved with have been shot in situ and then transported back to the hunt kennels.

I never thought of sending them there.

I expect I will get jumped on for this----I am interested in the reasoning behind the decision though.

rune
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
We need to up the anti, for ALL animals that are slaughtered, by ALL who do it, no exceptions, you live by the law of the land, and if the law states "stun" before death, then anyone caught NOT adhering the legalisation, should be dealt with accordingly!
I agree totally All animals that are slaughtered deserve a quick and compassionate death - and ideally that should follow a good quality of life.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Did you not stay to watch your horse killed? All the horses I have been involved with have been shot in situ and then transported back to the hunt kennels.
Hmmm, and my question was considered irrelevant
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

I never thought of sending them there.

I expect I will get jumped on for this----I am interested in the reasoning behind the decision though.

rune
I and my hubby and a friend took my horse to the hunt kennels (its how ours works) if you know them.

They will also come out to you ofcause, but for us we felt it was the best way for him and the surrounding horses.

Plus I did not want him to have the undignified end of beign winched onto the meat wagon after the event.

The way he did it , was we took him off the box, took him up into a field, he was used to traveling and he was used to being turned out in fields, so for him it was no different to any other day, the sound of the hounds baying in the background, as soon as we got into the field he put his head down to eat the grass.

Huntsman was with us, he talked to him and stroked his head, and in an instant while stroking his forehead, he replaced his hand with the gun, it was over in an instant, Griffin hit the ground before we knew anything.

We then left, and allowed the huntsman to do what he does.

Why did I choose to have him shot, over injection. for me I went with my vets advice , on the most humane way, I also have witnessed horses beign euthanized by injection, they can fight it, and watching a horse rolling round trying to stand and panicking when dieing is not a good memory.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Majuka, what an emotive post.
If a horse is sold for halal it is entering the food chain isn't it? What if it is sold to someone who moves to say...France?

If an animal enters the food chain it CANNOT be killed by lethal injection.
This thread is about animals that are entering THE FOOD CHAIN. Whether or not the horse/sheep/cow was a child's pet is irrelevant ( my son fed a lamb it's first solid meal last year...he may since have eaten it). The discussion is NOT about how we euthsnise pets still in our care, who will not be entering the food chain, it's about animals who will enter the food chain. You therefore cannot compare the slaughter methods as there are different laws and requirements.

Why wouldn't a pony in the UK enter the halal food chain? Equally why would it? I do not go into halal butchers but it would be interesting to know how much horse meat those who do use them see? My understanding is that actually a lot of muslims are vege.

People who sell ponys at market have no real idea where they are going or the conditions they will be kept in. Or where they will end up after that......
I think more people will accept though that a lamb is more destined for the food chain than a pony? Just as when I have patted someone's dog, I would not consider that this dog could be transported abroad to be eaten. When I have stroked cows in the neighbouring farm, I am under no illusion what will happen to them.

Although some people have been horrifed at the idea of a pet meeting such an end, to me, there is no difference between an animal who is classed as a pet and an animal that is destined for the food chain. All animals deserve to die in a humane manner. Obviously animals destined for the food chain cannot die by lethal injection, is it too much to expect that they have a quick and realtively peacful death though?

I agree totally with your last sentence and am thankful that I can look back on all of the ponies that we had and know that their death was quick and painless.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 09:02 AM
For the record, I said it was irrelevant ages ago
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-05-2011, 09:53 AM
its also interesting how people only bring up off topicness when its something they dont want to discuss
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Hmmm, and my question was considered irrelevant
I was interested because I had never thought of it---I have always had them come out and never realised that there was an option----not that I have had to give it much thought recently!

I didn't consider your question irrelevant----just hypothetical.

For the record I think shooting is probably best----if done by an experienced person.

rune
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Majuka, I don't think our opinions are that different... BUT animals destined to be meat are slaughtered en masse and in a specific way, for convenience, hygiene and economy. Animals that are pets are killed individually and with compassion, money is often not even an issue and hygiene issues are minimal... So I just don't think on a thread about halal meat it is relevant to
Compare pet/meat slaughter.

Yes, all slaughter should be humane and compassionate. Totally agree.
Thing is, look at the video I posted... Humane??? No I think not. So... Who are we to comment on halal slaughter, the vast majority of which is done in a slaughter house in this country? For the last sheep that is stunned in that film..what is best?
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE=Jackbox;2257282]Its funny how this "hypothetical" question has suddenly been deemed irrelevant after over a 130 strong replies some against, some for and some sitting on the fence.. even one going as far as to say she would euthanize her pet this way...which was supported to a degree by others..........but then as its been pointed out, its all hypothetical, so given you are not really put in such a situation, its easy to say "I would" " I might" and so on, when in reality I doubt anyone would choose this death for their pets.

Ftr, my on the fence replies have been in reference to the original topic, of animals destined for the food chain. No where have I even referenced the hypothetical question. I'm just not interested in playing that game, though am finding it fascinating to observe.

but to sanction one method (due to religion) over another , does not make it OK.
You're questioning religion, not for the first time on this thread...please remember that if we ever have another Christianity discussion. I don't feel like being accused of persecution again.
Page 37 of 41 « First < 27 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 > Last »