Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
but I think she means if someone bought a pup intending to do Ob, serious style but then for whatever reason dosnt and so the dog is considered useless to them and they want to return it (even though not the dogs lack of ability?)- would you be happy with that? (I dont suppose anyone would be and correct me if I'm wrong BM but thats the impression I got?) or would you prefer that the dog stays with the person beacuse in all other ways the dog leads a fulfilled life?
Id be happier they return it than pass it on.
But id not sell to someone like that in the first place (as i said)
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
In your previous post you implied that most pet dogs are loved and cared for while dogs that participate in hobbies with their owners are not. The rescue is not full of show dogs or competition dogs because they are loved and cared for as much as any other.

What!!! I've never said, or implied, that dogs that participate in hobbies are not well cared for & loved. All I said (or implied) was that IF competitiveness is the primary goal, then a dog's welfare could be compromised. As long as the dog's welfare is put first & foremost then I don't have a problem with dogs being used for the hobbies that people enjoy.

Where have all of these unfortunate dogs that find themselves in rescue come from, not from responsible owners or breeders!

No, I agree with you. Where have I ever said or implied that rescues are full of dogs originating from responsible owners or breeders?

As for working dogs only dogs that are keen to do the job will be suitable for training, and they certainly aren't rushing around 24/7.
Again you seem to be twisting or deliberately misinterpreting what I said! I haven't said or implied that any working dogs are "rushing round 24/7" so where you got that from, god only knows! All I said was that hearing dogs for the deaf deserve some time out. That's a completely different thing.

Could I respectfully ask that in future you read my posts & also consider them in the context in which they are posted?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 09:17 AM
I really HATE the premise that any dog in a decent pet home is 'wasted'.

I HATE trainers who say it to owners----and it does happen---I have heard it said by agility trainers and obedience trainers.

Just thought I'd throw that one in!

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

I HATE trainers who say it to owners----and it does happen---I have heard it said by agility trainers and obedience trainers.

rune
Agree with you. Certainly when trainers stupidly say it to owners, it can have the effect that the owner starts to feel inadequate and perfectly healthy bonds can suffer.

Rather than telling someone that their dog is wasted in their current role, find and guide into a role that fits the dog/owner team.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Every dog I have had I have had as a pet, I have never considered getting a dog for any other reason.
Now I wish I was younger and more mobile because I would love to be able to do agility with Pepsi. I'm sure that she would be well suited to it.
So from this I suppose my answer is, if I had my life over I would still have my pet dogs and then capitalise on what ever attributes I discover in them

I think there are some responses here where the written word is being misinterrpreted again, very easy to do
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune
Yep, the view that it's a "wasted" dog is looking at it from the trainer's point of view, not necessarily from the dog's viewpoint. Just because a dog could be good at something & perhaps shows an aptitude, doesn't mean that it is not fulfilled & happy with it's current lifestyle.

You could say the same about people but just because they don't do what they could perhaps be good at, doesn't mean they don't lead happy & fulfilled lives.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 09:39 AM
I think some people on here just write things as they come into their head without really thinking about what they are writing and how they can be insulting to some members!

Everyone on Dogsey is a member because we love our dogs, if we chose to do obedience/showing/agility/HTM or whatever then it isn't because we want to mistreat them, we want to enjoy a hobby that we can share with them. Additionally, if we just want them to be at home with us, share nice walks etc., then there is nothing wrong with that either.

To state that some people have too many dogs is ridiculous, I once had 14 dogs at one time living in the house with me, not one of those dogs got treated any differently or more favourably than another. They would get on my lap, a couple at a time for a cuddle, as they got off another couple would be waiting to get up. They all had exactly the same treats at the same time too. If we can afford vets bills and food then what is the problem? I know I had to rehome mine but that was due to my illness, not because I no longer wanted them or couldn't show/breed with them.

We purchased Henry with a view to me showing him, of course I want to win with him, what is the point of paying out all that money if I don't stand some sort of a chance? However, if he doesn't win I don't think of parting with him. Although it was my good fortune that his breeder is the type to let a good dog go to a home where he will be loved as a family pet rather than in the kennels with her others, there are people like that but it doesn't mean they don't have the dogs best interests at heart.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 10:14 AM
It doesn't just happen in dogs, in happens in all animals, I've even heard of it in rabbits, because the rabbit wasn't as good at 'rabbit jumping' as the owner liked, I personally see no harm in getting a animal for a hobby, it can benefit owners and animals, and give them a better bond, it can increase the mental and physical stimulation the dog gets, increase confidence, and add all sorts of benefits.

With rehoming the dogs, I think that sometimes it is better, if the person has a lot of animals, and can no longer give the same level of care because of other animals still competing or doing the hobby then surely it is better to rehome to someone who would be able to give the dog more one on one time, then the animals having to stay at home on their own if it happens a lot, espcailly if the hobby takes the owner all over the country?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 12:23 PM
I havent read the whole thread, just the first page.

I hate dogs being passed on coz they arent 'good enough' to do whatever hobby. The dogs should always come first. People on here are always talking about the ridiculous reasons people give for rehoming a dog, such as having a baby, getting a pup so rehoming the older dog, and most people says that is wrong... but IMO it isnt any different to getting rid of a dog that cant do whatever the hobby is.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I havent read the whole thread, just the first page.

I hate dogs being passed on coz they arent 'good enough' to do whatever hobby. The dogs should always come first. People on here are always talking about the ridiculous reasons people give for rehoming a dog, such as having a baby, getting a pup so rehoming the older dog, and most people says that is wrong... but IMO it isnt any different to getting rid of a dog that cant do whatever the hobby is.
I do agree with you in principle. It's very sad when humans put their animals' welfare below their own selfish desires. But another part of me thinks that there may be occasions when an animal would be better off in a new home where it is treated better & given all the things it needs & wants, than it would be if it stayed with a person who found the dog/rabbit etc to be "sub-standard", unworthy of attention, not worth caring for properly etc, just because the animal can't cope with the human hobby.
Page 9 of 13 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »