Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
I'll be there Saturday.
Excellent. Once I know what stands I'm on and when, I'll let you know. Alternatively, just say hello and introduce yourself if you see us!

I'll be there in support of Pets As Therapy with Roxy - my crazy rescue dog who was trained by me using positive methods after being blitzed with an electric shock collar and is now a different dog.

See you there!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
LOL-----I have Zeff tonight---do I need a magic button----will he kill me as I sleep???

rune
Yes there is a high chance, when it comes to him that he's not a dog and that he is actually a wolf lol

Beware he may come in a cape and be dressed like a granny or perhaps he will arrive dressed like a sheep?

Be wary, very wary.

btw - dont think my questions have been answered either?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 01:00 PM
This thread has shocked and saddened me… I have seen Gnashers posts before, and often just ignore them due to what she writes but this is just horrific. How can anyone possibly train a dog recall, trying everything in 6, or 8 months (whichever it is since it changed!)?? I used one method when teaching Jake recall for months and that was using it day in, day out! This thread, I believe, was just to get a reaction and cause some trouble. Gnasher, you can say all you want that this is an ‘extreme’ case, but it really isn’t… just keep him on a long line, and work on his recall positively! I know you don’t like keeping the dogs on a lead, but surely that is better for the short term. I prefer Jake being offlead, but when I was working on his recall (and I struggled a lot first, and found it extremely stressful) he was kept on a long line… now? he spends most of the time offlead, I just put him on lead when I think it is right to do so… such as by roads, near other dogs we do not know etc, and I would if we were ever near livestock. Do you seriously dislike leads that much that you wouldn’t do it just for the short term? Havent you said in the past that you don’t use treats to train??... I am sure that was you, if it was, how do you train then?

It actually makes me speechless, that someone can think keeping a dog on a lead is cruel… but zapping them with an e-collar is not I mean, seriously… that is just twisted! You said in your first post that Ben was shocked a number of times… then said it was only twice… did you change it because of how people reacted? And if it doesn’t cause pain, then why has it ‘worked’ so fast? Although, even if it is painful (which I believe it is) I still don’t think it would work that fast…

Also, this poor dog has had a terrible start to life… he has been abused, and you stick a collar on him to cause him pain! it makes me so frigging mad! Its bad enough to use it on any dog but even worse on a dog who has had such a horrific start in life! How was he allowed to be mistreated in the first place?

Also, there are others dogs like the ones you own.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 01:07 PM
My questions are on page 69, Gnasher.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Just musing on how little someone can learn in 40 years.

rune
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
This thread has shocked and saddened me… I have seen Gnashers posts before, and often just ignore them due to what she writes but this is just horrific. How can anyone possibly train a dog recall, trying everything in 6, or 8 months (whichever it is since it changed!)?? I used one method when teaching Jake recall for months and that was using it day in, day out! This thread, I believe, was just to get a reaction and cause some trouble. Gnasher, you can say all you want that this is an ‘extreme’ case, but it really isn’t… just keep him on a long line, and work on his recall positively! I know you don’t like keeping the dogs on a lead, but surely that is better for the short term. I prefer Jake being offlead, but when I was working on his recall (and I struggled a lot first, and found it extremely stressful) he was kept on a long line… now? he spends most of the time offlead, I just put him on lead when I think it is right to do so… such as by roads, near other dogs we do not know etc, and I would if we were ever near livestock. Do you seriously dislike leads that much that you wouldn’t do it just for the short term? Havent you said in the past that you don’t use treats to train??... I am sure that was you, if it was, how do you train then?

It actually makes me speechless, that someone can think keeping a dog on a lead is cruel… but zapping them with an e-collar is not I mean, seriously… that is just twisted! You said in your first post that Ben was shocked a number of times… then said it was only twice… did you change it because of how people reacted? And if it doesn’t cause pain, then why has it ‘worked’ so fast? Although, even if it is painful (which I believe it is) I still don’t think it would work that fast…

Also, this poor dog has had a terrible start to life… he has been abused, and you stick a collar on him to cause him pain! it makes me so frigging mad! Its bad enough to use it on any dog but even worse on a dog who has had such a horrific start in life! How was he allowed to be mistreated in the first place?

Also, there are others dogs like the ones you own.
We got Ben in June. When I actually added it up, I realised it is nearly 9 months ago

Maths was never my strong point, but go on, accuse me of lying now why don't you.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Yes there is a high chance, when it comes to him that he's not a dog and that he is actually a wolf lol

Beware he may come in a cape and be dressed like a granny or perhaps he will arrive dressed like a sheep?

Be wary, very wary.

btw - dont think my questions have been answered either?
Seeing as Zeff is indesputably part Saarloos, or entire Saarloos (sorry Tassle, I've forgotten which!), then of course he is a wolf cross. Why the joking?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
My questions are on page 69, Gnasher.

I'm sorry DB, my lunchbreak is well overdue to end, I will try and have a look tonight, but honestly, this thread keeps growing and growing, and I just can't keep up with it and answer all the questions individually I am afraid.

I think I will just have to resort to what I was doing before - posting regular bulletins.

Incidentally, OH reports another very successful and happy morning walk in this brilliant sunshine!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 01:39 PM
I haven't kept up with this thread, but I still can't get my head around the fact that Gnasher thinks it is cruel to keep a dog on lead. Northern breeds have been bred for centuries to be restrained/exercised/worked in a controlled manner via harnesses and leads. It is not like they are a breed that has been bred to free range long distances from its handler, such as flock guarding breeds, HPR breeds, etc. (where it could perhaps be argued that restraint 100% of the time is cruel). So I think the "it is cruel" logic is in this case, totally flawed.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Seeing as Zeff is indesputably part Saarloos, or entire Saarloos (sorry Tassle, I've forgotten which!), then of course he is a wolf cross. Why the joking?
what about answering my questions?
I thought you werent noticing my posts but you noticed that one lol

If Zeff if part Saarloos then he is a dog not a wolf and so he would be able to be trained as a dog surely? (without an e-collar, which of course wolves dont use on their young)
Closed Thread
Page 79 of 83 « First < 29 69 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 > Last »