Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I don't live in Wales!!! Its a little bit far me to travel but someone did post some names of Miniature Schnauzers in my area though will be looking into those. Getting excited now contacted some breeders today though no luck yet ^^
Many tears have foster homes all over the UK, as a result the rehome all over the UK too.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I think it depends who you speak to with the bigger rescues sometimes. Dogs Trust turned me down a few years ago because I lived in a flat yet a few months later let me adopt Rupert. First time round they told me they didn't let dogs go to homes with no garden. Manchester Dogs Home refused one friend because of her having an 8 year old boy yet let another adopt with a 2 year old and a 4 year old. The one turned away was told they didn't let dogs go to homes with children under 10.
Forgive my cynicism, but sometimes I think the reason given for people being turned down by rescue centres is not always the real reason!

In my experience, the people that turn up at a rescue with a whole list of requirements & whole list of things they refuse to consider, are far more likely to be turned away than those that enquire about offering a dog (any dog within reason) a kind & loving home. The people who are realistic about what they can offer a dog & are open-minded about the type of dog they are prepared to consider, are the ones that most often get their "perfect" match.

Remember that often the rehoming centre staff are the ones that know the dogs best & know what that particular dog needs. So rather than go looking for a specific breed, sex, age & temperament, perhaps being a it more open to suggestions & talking things through thoroughly with the staff would result in more unwanted dogs being rehomed?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:14 AM
I didn't think Manchester was that fussy - they don't do home-checks for one thing!
No, they don't do home checks but refused my friend on the grounds she had 2 children under 10 yet rehomed to another friend with 2 children under 5. They were also extremely rude to me on the phone, ranted at me for wasting their time asking about dogs when I lived in a flat and then hung up on me.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Forgive my cynicism, but sometimes I think the reason given for people being turned down by rescue centres is not always the real reason!

In my experience, the people that turn up at a rescue with a whole list of requirements & whole list of things they refuse to consider, are far more likely to be turned away than those that enquire about offering a dog (any dog within reason) a kind & loving home. The people who are realistic about what they can offer a dog & are open-minded about the type of dog they are prepared to consider, are the ones that most often get their "perfect" match.

Remember that often the rehoming centre staff are the ones that know the dogs best & know what that particular dog needs. So rather than go looking for a specific breed, sex, age & temperament, perhaps being a it more open to suggestions & talking things through thoroughly with the staff would result in more unwanted dogs being rehomed?
I'm sure in some cases that is the reason but I'd go in or phone and say that I was looking to rehome a dog but lived in a flat and that was it, instant rejection. No question of what I wanted in a dog, just a "you don't have a garden so can't have a dog" answer. A couple of the ones I spoke to over the phone were actually extremely rude about it too.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:28 AM
I'm sure in some cases that is the reason but I'd go in or phone and say that I was looking to rehome a dog but lived in a flat and that was it, instant rejection. No question of what I wanted in a dog, just a "you don't have a garden so can't have a dog" answer. A couple of the ones I spoke to over the phone were actually extremely rude about it too.
That's a real shame & certainly hasn't been my experience with the Dogs Trust.

I have several friends that work there & I can't fault the care & attention they give to people wanting to rehome a dog. The only ones that come away unhappy are the ones that are turned down because they have unrealistic expectations.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
That's a real shame & certainly hasn't been my experience with the Dogs Trust.

I have several friends that work there & I can't fault the care & attention they give to people wanting to rehome a dog. The only ones that come away unhappy are the ones that are turned down because they have unrealistic expectations.
First time I spoke to them they just said no because of me having no garden. They weren't rude about it like several others were though. When I went to volunteer at the local shelter though (also Dogs Trust) they said they'd have no problem rehoming a dog to someone who lived in a flat. I fell in love with Rupert while there and ended up adopting him.

I wouldn't say I had unrealistic expectations. I ruled out tiny dogs and dogs with huge grooming requirements and that was it. Not that I ever got round to telling most of them what I did and didn't want so that wasn't what influenced their decision.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
To name one....The Mayhew

That's good then, although I am not traveling into London for any thing ! Our next dog (hopefully years away anyway) will be a chihuahua and will be a puppy. Many reasons the lack of rescues offering dogs to people in flats was mainly our last few. We have traveled far and wide and were happy to do so over the years, now we are both unable to do long journeys and will therefore be looking closer to home.

I think we have done our bit taking on rescues that would otherwise never have had a home and also taking on the baggage they come with, just want a simpler life with the next one and to know as many health checks as possible have been done on the parents.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 10:56 AM
First time I spoke to them they just said no because of me having no garden. They weren't rude about it like several others were though. When I went to volunteer at the local shelter though (also Dogs Trust) they said they'd have no problem rehoming a dog to someone who lived in a flat. I fell in love with Rupert while there and ended up adopting him.

I wouldn't say I had unrealistic expectations. I ruled out tiny dogs and dogs with huge grooming requirements and that was it. Not that I ever got round to telling most of them what I did and didn't want so that wasn't what influenced their decision.
And without saying it, that was what I was trying to imply. If people go to a rescue, perhaps make themselves useful, do some voluntary work, get to know the staff & let them get to know you ~ it does tend to open doors

Someone who phones up & asks if they would rehome to someone living in a flat is much more likely to get the "no" answer, than someone who goes the extra mile to show they'd be a good & caring dog owner, regardless of circumstances.

Not that I'm suggesting this is right, & no doubt lots of potentially good homes are lost by this attitude, but I can sort of see it from the rehoming centre's side too. Rules may be relaxed in certain circumstances!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Well lots of good homes will be lost in that case, many people don't have time or are able to do things like that, doesn't make them a bad owner though.
BullseyesTail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2011, 12:01 PM
I think Breed Rescues are often more amenable to 'bending the rules' than maybe big organisations. They also seem to go the extra mile in carefully matching the dogs to prospective owners. Although it's a generalisation, it's my experience at the moment, waiting to foster for a breed rescue but knowing people locally who have gone via Dogs Trust, etc.
Page 10 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >