Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
In a word yes I do!

They are given up because they no longer serve a purpose! Like I said for me my dogs come first – before my ‘hobby’ if it was a ‘hobby’ it would not necessitate giving up a living breathing animal to facilitate that ‘hobby’. A hobby is something you do as a fun part time thing. If you have to give up a dog because it no longer serves your hobby – it is no longer a hobby but a means to an end.

Like I said its not for me I could not give up my dogs for a hobby – they are more important to me than any hobby could ever be.

If my ‘hobby’ was detrimental to my dog either before or after they useable lifetime my dogs would come far far away above my hobby. Obviously some people put their hobby before their pets – that’s up to them! Just not for me, my dogs would come first before any hobby of mine – INCLUDING FOOTBALL !
ahh okies i get what your saying and i partly agree! My dogs mean more to me that any hobby, but what we are forgetting is alot of people take showing more seriosuly and not just for fun like me and others..Its not just a hobby to them.

But surely if its gone to a pet home where its no longer shown it will still not have a clue why its no longer allowed to get in the car every week to meet up with its doggy mates?
The difference there is the owner wouldnt be taking some dogs out and leaving the said dog at home, because they dont show! So no i dont think it will think that because when ever the owner was taking dogs out, said dog would be going to.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-05-2010, 08:19 PM
I think thats proberly the difference between show owners and pet owners - I would do everything I could to change my lifestyle to keep my dogs, whether it be stop showing, stop breeding or (as in my case consider my OH moving in until we could fit both our lifestyles and our pets into a perfect home).

To me my dogs are MY dogs and its up to me to look after them not to get rid when they dont fit either my lifestyle, clash with my sofa or whatever - unless it is in the best interest of my dogs and it is something I CANNOT change.

I know for some a dog is not for life but to me that is wrong. You take on a living creature and you care for it - you do not give it up when it has served its purpose, you look after it the best you can.
What about working dogs Spot, do you hold the same view, that a working dog (guide dog, assistance dog) should also be kept int he same home, or is that different.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

02-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by spot
But surely if its gone to a pet home where its no longer shown it will still not have a clue why its no longer allowed to get in the car every week to meet up with its doggy mates?
Argh but thats assuming dogs have the power to reason that out,

Do you really think, that a dog that has been settled in a new home, will work out that he is missing out on his weekly trips to see his friends...are you really suggesting that a dog that no longer goes in a car every week , will pine for the journey and the dog he met at shows.

Tell me Spot do your Greys, miss going to the race track, have they worked out yet, and shown evidence of missing on an activity.. do they miss they mates from the track.

Or are they simply happy with the life you have given them.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
ahh okies i get what your saying and i partly agree! My dogs mean more to me that any hobby, but what we are forgetting is alot of people take showing more seriosuly and not just for fun like me and others..Its not just a hobby to them.

The difference there is the owner wouldnt be taking some dogs out and leaving the said dog at home, because they dont show! So no i dont think it will think that because when ever the owner was taking dogs out, said dog would be going to.

Right firstly me and you are not allowed to agree on anything ok

Secondly IMO no one should take any hobby (and lets face it that is all dog showing is - it has no other purpose) if they cannot care for the fallout from that hobby.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
What about working dogs Spot, do you hold the same view, that a working dog (guide dog, assistance dog) should also be kept int he same home, or is that different.
Assistants dogs ie guide dogs etc I do not see as hobby dogs - do you?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 08:36 PM
That word stock says it all for me!
So why cant people admit they are basically stock animal for some? not pets but stock?
The only reason for not saying the dogs are stock is because they don't want people to think that is what the dogs are.

They certainly are not pets if they are passed on when they are no longer useful.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

02-05-2010, 08:37 PM
for one Runes experience maybe different to others perhaps? What are your experiences of rescues = have they been easy or hard?
So because Runes experience has been difficult, she is extending it to the rest of the rescue population.

My experiences personally have been in my adult life 2, and both where OK, oh no sorry, one we sent back, it was just after we got married, and I was home sick, we got a OES from the rescue, sadly it did not work out, not the dogs fault, but 100% ours, we acted without thought, and the truth was , we at that time could not give the dog the home he needed, so we took him back, hewent on to the right home...

Most of my walking friends have rescues, and never had a problem.

Through my childhood and young adult hood, its all we had rescues . we lived in a life of not analysing dogs, we took them in and got on with it....
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Argh but thats assuming dogs have the power to reason that out,

Do you really think, that a dog that has been settled in a new home, will work out that he is missing out on his weekly trips to see his friends...are you really suggesting that a dog that no longer goes in a car every week , will pine for the journey and the dog he met at shows.

Tell me Spot do your Greys, miss going to the race track, have they worked out yet, and shown evidence of missing on an activity.. do they miss they mates from the track.

Or are they simply happy with the life you have given them.

No hun it was suggested that was a reason for rehoming a dog - that it WOULD MISS going to shows so was a reason for rehoming - it was not my suggestion I was disagreeing with that statement.

My greys do not miss the track, they love being lazy and love finding out what it is like to be a dog. Dont go there JB you know damn well how I feel about THAT subject
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

02-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by spot
That word stock says it all for me!
So why cant people admit they are basically stock animal for some? not pets but stock?
I think you are hung up on a word.. do not the guide dog association have breeding stock does it give you the same message, do the hunt not have breeding stock, the police...

Its a word, nothing more, unless you want to turn it into something to suit an argument.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
The only reason for not saying the dogs are stock is because they don't want people to think that is what the dogs are.

They certainly are not pets if they are passed on when they are no longer useful.

rune
LOL so are you saying that a family dog that is once bred from and then passed on because the lady of the house has a baby never saw there dog as a pet?
are you saying that anyone that passes on a dog never saw there dog as a pet!?? because for what ever reason they choose to rehome the dog.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-05-2010, 08:45 PM
My experiences personally have been in my adult life 2, and both where OK, oh no sorry, one we sent back, it was just after we got married, and I was home sick, we got a OES from the rescue, sadly it did not work out, not the dogs fault, but 100% ours, we acted without thought, and the truth was , we at that time could not give the dog the home he needed, so we took him back, hewent on to the right home...
Most of my walking friends have rescues, and never had a problem.

Through my childhood and young adult hood, its all we had rescues . we lived in a life of not analysing dogs, we took them in and got on with it....
Now that is a wonderful post! reppies reppies for that! JB you do my head in at times and at other time I love you!
Page 25 of 36 « First < 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 35 > Last »