Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But if the law was policed correctly, we would not have to see this exemption register , nor so many dogs being siezed and destroyed.
This displays a fundamental lack of understanding of the flaws in our BSL. We will never, never, not ever be free of 'type' dogs because they can and are produced from perfectly legal dogs.

I'd be interested to learn how you feel confident to ascribe temperament issues to breeding and not, say, enviroment but, as I said, your concerns about the temperament, at least in as far as UK pit bull type dogs, is refuted by the success rate of applications for the Index.

Originally Posted by DextersMum View Post
As previously pointed out in another reply, pitbulls along with other breeds of this type are potentially more dangerous due to the strength of their jaws, lets face it they were 'created' as fighting dogs.
They certainly have a stronger bite force than a CKCS or a toy poodle but it's not as awesome as many believe. For example, in these tests the pit bull bite force is less then the GSD, Rottie, Mastiff and Ambull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbwMs7cjK0Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-9UN...eature=related

Personally I don't see that dogs bred for fighting are necessarily more fearsome than dogs bred to guard, like the Rottie, GSD or Dobie or dogs bred to hunt big game like the Dogo, Ridgeback or AmBull.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
This displays a fundamental lack of understanding of the flaws in our BSL. We will never, never, not ever be free of 'type' dogs because they can and are produced from perfectly legal dogs.

I'd be interested to learn how you feel confident to ascribe temperament issues to breeding and not, say, enviroment but, as I said, your concerns about the temperament, at least in as far as UK pit bull type dogs, is refuted by the success rate of applications for the Index.

They certainly have a stronger bite force than a CKCS or a toy poodle but it's not as awesome as many believe. For example, in these tests the pit bull bite force is less then the GSD, Rottie, Mastiff and Ambull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbwMs7cjK0Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-9UN...eature=related

Personally I don't see that dogs bred for fighting are necessarily more fearsome than dogs bred to guard, like the Rottie, GSD or Dobie or dogs bred to hunt big game like the Dogo, Ridgeback or AmBull.

Sorry, not sure why I lack understanding, is a pitbull not an ilegal breed, thats all I need to know, they are against the law, they Are ilegal, and as a law abiding citizen of this Country, I abide by the laws......... what else do I need to understand

RE- breeding V enviroment, I am a firm believer in both playing a huge part in a dogs development.

P.S.. the facts are , pitbull terrier are ilegal, they should not be here in this country, no one should be breeding them, its a simple as that!"

i am sure there are thousands of lovely ones around the world, (and here) but they are an ilegal breed, what ever we think of the law.

johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-12-2009, 10:59 PM
I will explain why, no matter how vigourously our laws are enforced, we will never be free of further seizures or the need for the Index of Exempted Dogs.

is a pitbull not an ilegal breed
No, it's not. It is a banned 'type', and it is here that you fall into error. This is not semantics, this is fundamental. The DDA bans 'types' and not breeds. If it banned breeds then the courts would face the arduous job of determining the ancestry/parentage of dogs suspected of being pit bulls. So they saved themselves the bother by saying, essentially, 'If it looks like a pit bull then it is a pit bull.'

The effect of this is that a Stafford (even KC registered) that grows too tall, or a mastiff that is too short or any number of cross breeds of perfectly legal breeds - a sharpei/Golden retriever was I recent one I heard - can be, and are, deemed to be pit bull type. It is impossible to ever eradicate a type when the population is being continually replenished legally. It is not illegal to breed a EBT/Boxer cross. The progengy are not illegal either until, possibly, upon maturity they assume the proportions and shape that condemns them as pit bull 'type'.

At the same time I can own a pit bull cross GSD perfectly legally as long as it has the GSD coat or feathered tail or some other characteristic that sufficiently sets it apart from the pit bull 'look'. If it doesn't look like a pit bull then it's absolutely legal even it is 50% real-deal American Pit Bull Terrier. And I can cross it back to a Staff or DDB or English Mastiff and I'm still completely within the law until one of those pups, upon maturity, grows to look too much like the APBT breed standard.

The law doesn't ban the pit bull breed or pit bull cross. Only the pit bull 'type' and that is something we will never, ever eradicate until you find a fullproof way of preventing Staffords from growing too tall, etc, etc.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

13-12-2009, 08:19 AM

No, it's not. It is a banned 'type', and it is here that you fall into error. .

Type /Breed , they are still banned,

And if people did not decide to break the law, we would not have this problem where the dogs suffer the injustice of their breeding!!!!!!!!
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-12-2009, 11:12 AM
You are still not grasping the situation. People find themselves in contravention of the law without intention and without having acted illegally. It is not illegal to breed/buy/own an SBT puppy, for example, but if, as it grows, it assumes the correct (or incorrect) proportions then it becomes illegal through no fault of the owners.

BTW the "injustice" you speak of is in the law, not the breeding.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 01:53 PM
You are still not grasping the situation. People find themselves in contravention of the law without intention and without having acted illegally. It is not illegal to breed/buy/own an SBT puppy, for example, but if, as it grows, it assumes the correct (or incorrect) proportions then it becomes illegal through no fault of the owners.

And plenty of people here suddenly find themselves in possession of an "illegal" dog when these stupid laws get enacted. Their perfectly wonderful family pet is seized and destroyed all because some arbitrary law invented by idiots.

Some pit bulls ARE dangerous, but much of that is because of the owner (there are occasional cases of dogs of many breeds with neurological problems that cause aggression). But the simple fact is that the vast majority lives peacefully with humans and dogs alike.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

13-12-2009, 02:15 PM

Now there's a chicken and egg situation... the law may be unjust , but so are those who breed these dogs,
If people obeyed the law that was set down, then we would not be in the situation we see today... innocent dogs being siezed and euthanised..
Regards my not grasping it, I grasp it perfectly well, thank you, I understand everything you have said, and agree with most of it, but the facts are , these dogs are ilegal!!!
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
And plenty of people here suddenly find themselves in possession of an "illegal" dog when these stupid laws get enacted. Their perfectly wonderful family pet is seized and destroyed all because some arbitrary law invented by idiots.
How do they go about the process of seizing the dogs over there?

Because this is how it can be done here:

Tyler the friendly crossbreed was seized under the Dangerous Dogs Act, he left home in perfect condition but was broken in solitary confirement.

A volunteer on a canine helpline received a telephone call from Debbie shortly after her dog Tyler was seized under Section One of the Dangerous Dogs Act (DDA), for being of the ‘type’; a home visit to the owner was arranged to offer support: “It was an upsetting home visit, we just sat and listened to Debbie as she poured it all out. I remember staring at the large bloody clumps of her hair on the mantelpiece, pulled out in the struggle on the morning her dog ‘Tyler was seized under the DDA.”

Following the introduction of the DDA and a summer of intense negative news coverage for dogs, three year old crossbred dog ‘Tyler’ was forcibly removed from his home at 7.30am on December 20th 1991 amidst scenes of great distress.

Debbie answered her door dressed in her nightgown, there were at least 5 arresting officers, two wore protective clothing and carried catchpoles. Tyler was dragged from the bed where he had been sleeping upstairs with a 6 year old child, his neck bleeding as the catch poles tightened in the struggle. It was reported that his owner began to scream and tried to obstruct the arrest of her dog by not letting him be taken away, her arm was put into a ‘hammer lock’ and she was forcible led away down the street in her nightgown and arrested, her dog was driven away in the back of a van.

Like all dogs seized under section one of the Act, Tyler was held in kennels at a secret location awaiting his fate, during this time he was terribly treated. Owner contact was denied.

The case eventually came before the Magistrates Court and the owner was found guilty (not helped by the fact that under this law the burden of proof is reversed).
The Judge sentenced the crossbred dog to death for being a ‘pit bull type’ acting under the new Home Office guidelines that condemn any dog for the way it looks.

Tyler had never harmed anyone or anything, he had done no wrong.

The case later went before the Crown Court on Appeal; Tyler was kept alive but still held in secret kennels.

Acting for the defence Dr. Mugford showed a video of his behavioural assessment to the Court, Tyler was introduced and mixed with other dogs, a sheep, an imitation cat, a dog known to be dog aggressive, confronted by strangers etc, throughout he remained calm and docile and at no time showed any signs of being ‘dangerous’.

Mike Homan and Vic Pounds both Staffordshire Bull Terrier experts also gave detailed and exhaustive evidence for the defence.

It was revealed during the lengthy hearing that Tyler had sustained several injuries whilst held in solitary confinement at a secret location.
The injuries received were listed by Dr. Mugford, these included;

untreated lacerations from the catchpole used to remove him from his family home
two holes inside his mouth
a deep puncture wound to his shoulder and
flesh missing from a hind leg with other small flesh wounds and
pressure sores
Tyler was described as visibly malnourished and bloated, being tender around his abdomen.

Tyler -Brutalised:

Vic Pounds examined Tyler and gave his evidence in Court. He stated that Tyler had wounds on his right shoulder which had been treated and on his left pasterns there was a round and fairly deep wound about one inch in diameter which he thought had been inflicted fairly recently, the wounds looked sore and was still open. He said:

“I have never seen a dog in worse condition”.

In his opinion Tyler had been brutalised and was in no fit condition to be thoroughly examined.

Tyler - once full of life, has given up, he can take no more:

Despite all the evidence, the Judges found his owner guilty of owning an unregistered ‘pit bull type’ and ordered Tyler to be put to death in seven days.

Owner Debbie fell back in her seat with the shock of the verdict, overcome by the outcome she began to cry and beg the court to spare her dog, as the Judge left the room.

Supporters present at the hearing described the atmosphere; “many people in the room were devastated when the judge said Tyler had to die – men and women alike had tears in their eyes, even some of the observers not connected with the case.

To hear a woman begging and pleading for her dogs life, completely broken with grief, calling out to anyone who could hear, is the most distressing thing I have witnessed in this situation” said one observer.

Debbie went home that day to her young son who was waiting with Tyler’s Christmas present, still wrapped up, certain of his friends return.

Tyler had endured 14 months in confinement before he lost his life

on 9th March 1993.

Shortly afterwards, his owner received a heavy black plastic bin liner delivered to her doorstep, it was cold and dripping with fluid, when she looked inside she found the dead lifeless body of her beloved Tyler.

This is how breed specific legislation works in the real world,

targetting the innocent dog.
Tyler's story, and others, can be found on http://www.endangereddogs.com/
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Type /Breed , they are still banned,

And if people did not decide to break the law, we would not have this problem where the dogs suffer the injustice of their breeding!!!!!!!!
You do seem to be missing the point. The point John is trying to make is that plenty of mixed breed dogs that do not have any "pit bull type" in them are mistaken for pit bull types and thus destroyed. I've seen lab/boxer crosses mistaken for "pit bull types" before. Perfectly legal as they have NO pit bull in them.
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 02:56 PM
thats really upset me i knew about the innocent dogs being siezed but i did'nt know they were treated so badly while in custody, however there is no DNA test to prove a dog is of 'pittbull type', so it beggars belief that the goverment can come to that conclusion that these poor dogs are 'pitt type'
Page 50 of 132 « First < 40 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 60 100 > Last »