Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 06:34 PM

Camping in the New Forest (Woody, 10mnth ESS) Pic heavy

We're back from camping in the New Forest.

We've been before but it was so much better this time around because we had little Woody the Camping Dog with us.

We arrived on Friday, early evening and had to pitch the tent in freezing strong winds and rain and poor Neil had a terrible time trying to get all the pegs in the tough ground, so not the best start. But then the sun came out ''hallelujah''! We had a BBQ that night of home made salads, salsa and veggie burgers with halloumi!

The next day, after a breakfast of scrambled eggs on muffins we set off for our day of exploring/walking around the New Forest.

We went to a place called Wilverly Plain first because there was a big open plain for Woody to run around off lead. We walked amongst all the wild ponies and he was brilliant, didn't bother them at all. He particularly liked all the random watering holes where he became Woody the Hippo Dog! After the walk we had a picnic of sausage sarnies made from the BBQ left overs from the night before.

Then we stopped off in Burley for a cream tea! Neil took me there when we first met on a weekend away! After that we felt very guilty so drove to Bolder Wood where you can do a long trail walk through the woodland and spot deer. It was pouring with rain but, like true Brits we walked on!

On the way back we saw a sign for a pub so went to explore. It was down a very long lane, tucked into the woods and was dog friendly! So, we stopped off for a pint (well, we'd gone all that way ;o)

That evening we warmed up (we were soaked through and freezing by the time we got to the tent) with fish and chips and a game of scrabble. Woody was pooped from having been out all day. We walked about 11 miles that day!!!

On Sunday we got up quite late and decided to stop off for a BBQ lunch at one of the Forestry Commission parks. We ended up quite near to where we were camping and went for a long walk around. When we got back to the car it was dry but VERY windy!! We had to set up wind barriers in order to be able to actually use the BBQ, but despite it being such a struggle it was ace cooking and eating our lunch out in the open!

We got home later that day sun burnt (believe it or not), chilly, muddy, smelly and wet but having had a great time! Woody slept the whole night through, bless him.

This weekend we're doing it all again in Devon where we're going to meet up with Esme and Monty ;o)
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 06:37 PM
I absolutely love the close up of Woody! I am so glad you had a good trip. It looks like you all had fun.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Great piccies Pidge. I love the New Forest and used to go for long weekends when I lived in London. I also went to that cool pub in the woods.

It looks as though Woody took to camping like a duck (well a springer!) to water LOL!

Brill - glad you had such a good time.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Looks and sounds like you had an absolutely fab time. Woody is looking as handsome and gorgeous as ever! You are one brave lady; tents, rain, wind, oh no not for me, but like to hear about your adventures!
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Aw Woody is looking fab! I love the New Forest, great for doggies !looks like a fab time had by all, id love to go camping, but with nowhere to plug in my hair straightners I wouldnt survive half a day !
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Glad you had a great time , loved reading the story of your weekend
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Brilliant pics, it's hard to tell who is enjoying themselves the most, a joint tie between the two of you I think.

Woody looks great, i love the close up of him. Look forward to the next set from Devon
taniamiff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2009, 07:35 PM
What a great story. The pictures are great, thanks for sharing.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Lovley pics - Woody's head-shots are ace!
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Oh wow Pidge, looks like you all had a great time. Brill photos. love the one of the path thro the trees oh and woody having a dip lol.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >