View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 05:45 PM

What do rescue/rehomed dogs think about their homes?

I have two 3 year old dogs I rehomed as adults. I understand that both have had 3 different homes/handlers each.

So I can't help wondering whether they think they are just passing through my home on their way somewhere else, or whether they think/will come to think of us as their permanent home and family?

What do you think?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Interesting question.
I found Tango, who like to stay very close to us, in the kitchen on her won last night, just staring into space...she looked quite pitiful really and I did wonder if she was thinking about what has happened to her in the past couple of months and if she was wondering if she would be staying here. Of course she wasn't, I was putting human emotions onto her...but part of me does wonder...bless she got loads of tickles and a big hug anyway.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Very interesting question that.
Reah had a home, then ended up at a puppy farm (not sure how) then after that was raided went to a rescue kennels, then was re-homed (disaster for her) then came to me.

All I can say for Reah, (bearing in mind that I have had her just over nine years) is that she sticks to me like glue, so maybe she feels if I vanish then she will be moved on!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 06:01 PM
My friend says Mo thinks she has died and gone to heaven because she has such a nice home now.
I'm not sure she is so aloof and snooty sometimes I'm not sure what she thinks
She soon comes hurtling after us if she loses sight of us in the woods though, then pretends she really doesn't care
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Poor Reah, I really do hope that with time they come to think of their current family as the one they will be staying with forever. I would hate to think that either of mine will always wonder when they will next be shifted on again. Maybe that is putting human emotions onto them and they simply live in the now, accepting that we are now their family and not thinking about the future.

Still, it is sad that they may have doubts in their mind as to the permanency of their current home
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 06:04 PM
I find this interesting too. Sorry cannot contribute as I do not have any experience of this.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 06:07 PM
I have a bit of experience...but not with rescues.
One of the pups we trained ( he lived with us for his first year) returned to the house after around a year of being away and after being with his new owner for about 6 months (if that). The dog was thrilled to be here...bounced around and was just soooooooo happy, lavishing attention on all of us.
The minute his new owner stood up though, he was at his side and he left our house without a backwards glance.
I think they do move on and make new bonds, without a doubt I've seen it a few times.
Having said that the ones that I've seen do it were all adaptable dogs...so perhaps that has something to do with it.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 06:11 PM
That's great to know Ramble. Your pup gave you a valuable insight. I guess the instincts in our dogs must tell them to form new bonds and just get on with it, just to survive and thrive.

I do think that my dogs will always remember their previous handlers if they happen to come across them at some point in the future though, not that I mind, it is part of their past life and experience.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 06:21 PM
I often wonder this with Lula. She was one of the lucky ones who was born in rescue and has lived in 2 foster homes before we got her at 10mnths.
She is quite a clingy girl with me but I dont know if that has to do with her past or just her make up. I hope she knows that she is in her forever home but have a feeling that being a dog, it hasn't even crossed her mind.
At some point Lula will meet up with her foster mum and it will be interesting to see her reaction, hopefully she will be overjoyed to see her but happy to come back home with us
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 06:42 PM
With Rescue dogs, I am always delighted when they are norty. It means they feel secure enough to be mischievous. I mean norty as in na-na-na-na-NA-na I`ve got yer shoe rather than I`m on the sofa and I`m stayin!. An invitation to play rather than a challenge.
It can take 6 months to 2 years in my experience - and even then we occasionally get flashbacks. The other week I came back from a walk where Shamus had done his party trick of rolling in poo so I took him straight into the back garden, and opened the tiny Coal Shed door (we keep the hose in there) to get the hose and Shamus meekly squeezed in and lay down. I nearly cried. It was obvious he`d been shut up like that before.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >