Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 04:28 PM
I have a huge problem with the culling.
Nature, if left to its own devices would sort out the seal numbers in time. I think it is terrible that other animals have to die this death because of our greed. If we are truly worried about the numbers of cod, stop eating it. We don't have first dibs on everything.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Lets be perfectly honest about it, but there are counties that are basically non-stop breeding machines. No wonder there is not enough food to go around.
I agree wholeheartedly Colin, there are just too many people on this planet. It's not yet at the armageddon stage but we're not that many years away from the situation where there just ain't enough food to go round and then there'll be an almighty cull the like of which none of us have ever seen.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Nature, if left to its own devices would sort out the seal numbers in time. I think it is terrible that other animals have to die this death because of our greed. If we are truly worried about the numbers of cod, stop eating it. We don't have first dibs on everything.
No they wouldnt, they would breed far more than the extent they do now WITH culling. The Seal numbers are HUGE!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
I agree. Seals are eaten by other preditors, and in time nature would sort this out, plus baby seals don't all survive, nature again
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Life is cruel, but I do feel culling is a necessity to control the population of many animals...... but for goodness sake, surely it can be done more humanely.... bashing young seal pups on the head, while they are trying to escape is shameful.

But I suspect it has something more to do with the pelts , they dont want them damaged, bashing them on the head saves the pelts.

Where I take my dogs to walk, there is a huge herd of Deer, the other week , we where not allowed in, the gamekeeper said, "something was going on" I suspect they may have been culling (not sure if it it the right time of yr) the herd is overpopulated , we have never seen so many.

I understand it needs to be done, but at least they do it swiftly and humanely.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I agree. Seals are eaten by other preditors, and in time nature would sort this out, plus baby seals don't all survive, nature again
But what you are NOT thinking about is the predators numbers have fallen to within extintion levels! Seal numbers are continuing to rise!! nature doesnt "sort itself out" it gets out of control if not managed.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 09:39 PM
I don't agree with culling animals because they are affecting our supply of one particular food. I also do not agree with the inhumane methods used to kill them.
With regards to there not being enough food in the world well I'm sorry there is, it just isn't very evenly distributed and in the hands of the wealthiest countries on the planet.
I do agree though that all countries should be as self sufficient/reliant as they can be and I think there will be a time in the not too distant future where that may have to happen.
Becky
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=Borderdawn;1324651]But what you are NOT thinking about is the predators numbers have fallen to within extintion levels! Seal numbers are continuing to rise!! nature doesnt "sort itself out" it gets out of control if not managed.[/QUOT

Whilst I agree with what you say, my point is why have they. Again, alot of that will be down to humansthe killings of whales and the poisons (oil spills) etc., we are detroying this world, not just the beautiful things in it. Battering something to death is not my idea of exceptable. We don't cull the adult females before they mate we go and cull helpless babies. The question asked was do we agree, I don't, but I am just 'little old me' if this has to be done do it humanely. Ask yourself this, if someone 'battered' your dogs to death, would you not be sicken. When they have finished the whole ice is completely blood stained. What I would love is people to go and see with thier own eye's (I did) and it's a vision that will never leave you I promise.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 09:45 PM
totaly sick
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Culling is not for me, sorry! If we left well enough alone then yes, it would sort itself out, was fine before we took over...
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »