Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 07:36 PM

Discouraging chewing of material

Moon never had access to blankets or nice soft beds in Vietnam. Since being in quarantine he's begun to chew holes in his blankets. We brought him a big soft cushion type bed and he's ripped it open and wrecked it in no time.

I believe this may be partly due to boredom in kennels however with give him lots of appropriate things to chew e.g. rope toys, rawhides, bones, soft toys etc, we also try and keep him occupied (his has a Kong and treat ball).

He seems to be getting worse at chewing material items, he didn't do it when he first arrived, it has developed. It also cannot be entirely down to boredom as he has started to pluck the blankets with his incisiors while we've been visiting. We try not to make a big thing out of it, just a "No" and then putting something appropriate under his nose, however he doesn't ever chew it.

We'd like to be able to get him a nice soft bed, but obviously if he wrecks it, we won't. Currently we're looking into a plastic basket that we can line with cheap blankets.

Another concern is that he will become destructive when we get him home and chew items e.g. clothes, carpet, sofa etc.

Is there anything we can do to dicourage this behaviour? For info, Moon is approx 3-4years old and is learning to adapt to life inside as he was kept on a chain outside on concrete before we rescued him.

Thanks
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2009, 08:26 PM
My youngest Setter likes towels! I try to keep towels & tea towels out of his reach. He occasionally nibbles a hole in his vet bed too!

I think he got this from his dad, Duke. When Duke was a puppy used to give him nice beds and duvets, etc, but he always chewed them. One day he had nibbled a small hole in a brand new bed I had bought him, so I sprayed it with Johnson's Anti-Chew spray and he wouldn't go near the bed at all after that!

Don't know what advice I can offer really, but to wish you good luck.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Shamus chews fabric - I think his only `toys` before were rags. So we`ve given him those rope tuggy toys to chew and played with him. In the beginning I put cheap (charity shop) blankets on his bed etc. and interrupted him when he started to chew. Apart from the odd bit of slipper sucking he`s not bad now. He just needed to learn what was OK to chew and what wasn`t.
anilerkan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Have you tried using kongs ? It really takes them off whatever they are doing.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 09:59 PM
I believe this may be partly due to boredom in kennels however with give him lots of appropriate things to chew e.g. rope toys, rawhides, bones, soft toys etc, we also try and keep him occupied (his has a Kong and treat ball).
Yeah we have thanks. We do our best to keep his mind busy, he just seems to love that material!
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2009, 12:12 AM
not really got any advice, except my dog foxy used to really love things like tea towels and socks and would pinch them without you realising, she would also go to sleep with a corner of her bed in her mouth like a comfort blanket lol but occasionally she would chew holes in them, for example if you tried to get it off her then gave up (she was too quick for us), she would chew up then, or if she wanted too play and we didnt,
it was just one of her quirks that we got used too and we learnt too be quicker than her
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2009, 06:05 AM
My old dog, Zenta, who I had from 6 weeks, never stopped chewing his bedding until the day he died...

However, he never chewed anything else in the house...

Another thing he did, was knocking over his food bowl every single time he got fed... I kept buying him new and better bowls, including non skid, heavy ceramics etc...

I tried all his life to get him to eat out of a bowl... and all he wanted to do was eat off the ground..

ETA... that was the only 2 things I could complain about, and I did... How pathetic is that?