Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2009, 10:02 PM

how many generations ?

further to a discussion I've been having on another forum I'd be interested to know how many of you were given a pedigree that went further back than 5 generations ? - the assertion is being made that all pups should be sold with a 10 generation pedigree - my view is that this is both extremely unusual ( I've never known any breeder supply 10 generations) and impractical .

but perhaps I'm wrong and there are lots of you out there who own dogs or supply new puppy owners with this kind of extended pedigree .... ?
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 10:14 PM
I think I was given 8 generations by my breeder - but she has since showed me the pedigree back to the first registered Malamute

Why do you think so far back is necessary? Just curious In these days of internet if one has bought from a breeder of proven dogs it is quite easy to trace back further (and good fun)
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2009, 10:18 PM
personally I dont think it's neccessary and when I breed I supply 5 generation pedigrees - I'm just curious to know if extended pedigrees are now the norm ?
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 10:21 PM
i was given a 5 generation which is traceable to 3 generations, the rest i could trace throught the swedish KC.

i think this is the norm. i cant see the point of going back any further, it serves no purpose.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Mine have five generation pedigrees. Can't see it really being that necessary to go back further but probably interesting
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2009, 10:27 PM
the reasoning behind the need for 10 generations is to calculate the degree of inbreeding within a pedigree ( COI ) - I use a software programme that calculates this but only use 5 generations - apparantly this is not far back enough and all breeders should be using 10 generations - I'd be interested to know what other breeders think ? - how practical would this be ? - I have calculated that this means entering the details of over 2,500 dogs for each mating !
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Ohh I hadn't thought of that - some breeds - well Border Collies springing to mind - have very handy online databases that calculate these things for you .... if only all breeds did
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 11:57 PM
The Anadune BC database calculates the COI over 10 generations whish is very useful

I did once trace my first male BCs pedigree back to the 1st BC registered with the ISDS. It covered a whole wall in my bedroom & I had managed to shorten it a bit by putting a number instead of a dogs lines if the dog was duplicated ! It took me a long time as it was pre computer days !!!!!!!!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 12:38 AM
I give 5 years but I also give a link to a welshie ped site so people can explore further if they want.
I agree entirely with the COI but my breed so numerically small if you got back 10 gens most are line breed or inbreed, but we also feel we have nothing to hide.
During the war there was only two or three breeding kennels and for one reason or another they were wiped out leaving only a few dogs around.
If people ring and ask for more than 5 gens I'm prepared to give it to them but logistically I can only print out so many on an a4 sheet.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-01-2009, 01:31 AM
My Springer has 5 on paper but I've been way way back on the net through a particular Spaniel site. I posted a thread ages ago about the site (Springer obviously) but It's easy enough to do.

Pick the oldest dog on your dog's papers and simply find that dogs papers. Pick the oldest on than dogs papers and do the same.

Obviously it soon multiplies in to thousands of dogs and becomes impractical but if you choose a single line to trace back you can do it.

We got back to Eighteen hundered and something !

Swiped from my other thread........

Found this site.

http://www.ariel-ess.com/essfaq/pedigree/search.html

It's dead easy. If you have your pedigree to hand just type in a dog's name (or part of the name) from as far back as your dog's pedigree goes.

I picked one of Fingals Gt Gt Gt Grandparents.

Click on that dog and you'll get his pedigree - right back to his Gt Gt Gt Grandparents. click one of his Gt Gt Gt grandparents and repeat.............

I kept clicking to see how far and ended up back in the 1800's (about 25x Gt Grandparents ago)

When you go way way back you start to get loads of cockers and field spaniels creeping in. You also get to see which dogs were bred with which other dogs etc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >