Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 08:24 PM

Puppy transport ideas

hello all

I am transporting 3, 14 week old pups to glasgow tommorow in the back of my car,

I dont have a crate available only the boot of the car with a substantial dog guard. I plan to put some rubber matting down and a blanket for them, and newspaper etc as assume they will pee and poo too.

They have to my knowledge never been in a car, and we have an hours drive , any tips for keeping them happy and occupied ??

cheers
dani
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Hi Danni if it is nice and warm in the car they will probably sleep.
Do you have a large cardboard box that you can put on its side, the three of them may curl up in this. Also having the radio on can help send them to sleep. Have a safe journey.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Danni if it is nice and warm in the car they will probably sleep.
Do you have a large cardboard box that you can put on its side, the three of them may curl up in this. Also having the radio on can help send them to sleep. Have a safe journey.
thanks Mini - i was beginning to think i wasnt going to get an answer and i need to go to bed soon to sleep for this journey tommorow !!

thats a good idea, i have a cardboard box, a rubber mat to protect the floor of the boot from pee and poop, and plenty of newspaper.

I know the pups wont be fed in the morning so hopefully wont throw up or anything over the car !!

hubby is coming with me, so hopefully worst comes to worst he can jump in the back seat and entertain them if need be,
as long as he doesnt suggest we take one home with us everything will be fine !! LOL
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Dani, what time are you going and how big is your boot?

I have a crate that you could borrow (though it is 36" so depending on your car, may not fit in - its not specifically a car one).

I also have a soft crate (32" i think) if that would be better.

Let me know - happy to drive it up to Edinburgh if it would be of use
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Dani, what time are you going and how big is your boot?

I have a crate that you could borrow (though it is 36" so depending on your car, may not fit in - its not specifically a car one).

I also have a soft crate (32" i think) if that would be better.

Let me know - happy to drive it up to Edinburgh if it would be of use
oh thanks so much for that offer, but I have to pick pups up at 930, i think they will be fine in the boot - its a honda crv so its a big one with a relatively low back seat ( but a proper car fitted) dog guard so they cant escape.

i am sure they will be ok - will stick the cardboard box in as hadnt thought of that, a wee blanket and hope they sleep - its mostly motorway so no hugely curving roads or anything !!

thats a lovely offer though and i really appreciate it !

i will need to try and get a crate off the rescue if I do more runs like this as i do think its a bit better, but this was a last minute thing, as people are desperate to get rid
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 11:35 PM
As you say, with OH going with you, I'm sure it will be fine.

If you do start doing this regularly, I'm happy to lend you a crate if the rescue are struggling for one - I have two metal and one soft sitting in the garage which we don't use.

Good luck with the mission
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
As you say, with OH going with you, I'm sure it will be fine.

If you do start doing this regularly, I'm happy to lend you a crate if the rescue are struggling for one - I have two metal and one soft sitting in the garage which we don't use.

Good luck with the mission
thanks thats a very kind offer. I know the rescue have some but it was just mechanics of getting it over to me to use it as it was all a bit short notice.

will keep it in mind though if i am ever stuck.

i had one for bruno ( which he chewed ) but gave it to the rescue a few years ago so am sure I can borrow it back if i need to !! LOL
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 01:51 AM
Sorry i've only just seen this - i've got a double cage which would have been ok - if it fitted - the divider is removable so all pups would be together. Hopefully they will sleep with the movement of the car

Safe Journey - soz didn't see it sooner
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 07:47 PM
thanks guys,

all went fine - the pups were fine - although one was sick! They ended up being 22 weeks not 14 like we were on told so they were big barrels of hyperactivity and fun but very good and were greatly entertained by the back windscreen wiper going back and forwards ( probably why one was sick!!)

they were gorgeous though and i didnt want to hand them over as so cute and cheeky...

anyway, thanks again for the kindness and I may take you up on it another time.

dani
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Glad it went well.

Bet you were both in stitches watching the pups watching the wiper blade
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >