Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2009, 07:40 PM

how much grooming does your breed of dog need

Just wondered how much grooming does everyone give there dogs?

for people with breeds that need lots of grooming, do you send them to be done at a pro groomer? do you have the coat clipped to save a lot of time on grooming?
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2009, 07:45 PM
I don't groom Jess that often to be honest, just when she looks like she needs a brush. But with her being shorthaired, this isn't too often
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Cosmo's coat itself needs a quick run through with the brush every couple of days to keep it looking brill..but sadly his fascination with mud....well lets just say we spend a lot of time keeping him clean and free of sticks/mud/dead leaves/grime/poo.dead animals.........
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Not a lot!
Mo does love it though so sometimes she is brushed as a treat.
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2009, 07:57 PM
I think mine are self cleaning , but as they love getting brushed I give them both a good once over every couple of days
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2009, 08:03 PM
mine are pretty much self grooming
if they get muddy i walk them longer so the muck falls off outside
i try and brush them weekly to make sure they havent any cuts or lumps n bumps
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2009, 08:12 PM
FLs are pretty much self-cleaning...it all falls off around the house! Beach trips result in small dunes when she gets up dry after a rest. Grooming is 15 mins weekly or 10 mins daily whilst blowing coat. No clipping or trimming or bathing required. Show prep is just the normal 15 mins night before a show. The more furnishings the better....some owners clip fur between pads for better traction or to reduce mud in house...I haven't this winter as we have had a lot of snow and ice.

Mary
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Samoyeds are like the forth bridge! No sooner have you finished, you need to start again. When she was younger and more tolerant I would brush Selkie every day. Now I choose an area of her body and give it a proper go once a week. Her back and body takes the shortest time. Her Back legs and Mane take the longest.

Pharaoh requires a once over with one of those dog mitts once a month or so and Kismet... don't know yet.. Only just out of her puppy coat... Now we wait and see... Will she get a husky coat or a malamute coat? I should run a book on it At the moment she gets a once over with a slicker brush once a week... eventually? I may need Selkie's undercoat rake, or a furminator...
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Only really Charlie who needs doing and he gets a quick 5 mins every day. It's the cats who need it, every single one of the hairy wee beasts.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Just wondered how much grooming does everyone give there dogs?

for people with breeds that need lots of grooming, do you send them to be done at a pro groomer? do you have the coat clipped to save a lot of time on grooming?
We should be so lucky No 'pro-groomers' round here Shona

And Newfies must be the longest haired of all dogs, they actually have two coats, inner & outer.

It's quite a problem for us, partly 'cos we've never had long haired before and partly 'cos Bara in particular is very sensitive about grooming around her bum I don't like muzzles but we may have to get one just for when grooming her bum, she can be a right grumpy old women and she has a big mouth.

I cut back any matted hair and try to groom once a week, but TBH our two would never win any prizes in the show ring so it's just as well we don't show them

When you say 'have the coat clipped' do you mean with an electric clipper like the barbers use
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >