Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-12-2008, 11:55 AM

Neutering Pros-cons?

The Pros and Cons of neutring?
There is alot of conflicting information on-line so wondered what you guys think?
Thanks in advance
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 12:39 PM
I am strongly pro-neutering (as I work for Dog's Trust!). IMO the pros outweigh the cons.

The main advantages I think are: no mess for in-season bitches, no phantom pregnancy (I think?), no pyometra (sp?). NO UNWANTED PUPPIES!!!!!!!!!

For males - no pining every time a bitch is in season somewhere in a 5 mile radius (e.g. no howling, no starving themselves, no straying or running off and getting hit by a car). NO UNWANTED PUPPIES!!!!!!!!!!

Yes there is a slightly higher chance of some illnesses and the thing about the growth plates, but really what is that in comparison to less litters of pups in rescue centres?

ETA: I don't know if behavioural issues can be corrected by neutering, the reason I am pro is because of the amount of unwanted puppies and the number of irresponsible dog owners. If my dogs are neutered then it stops my dogs from producing pups.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 12:47 PM
I think the decision needs to be taken individually.
I got a lot of flak from certain parties (not on here) for delaying Daisy`s spay till her behaviour stabilised. And I think Shamus` nervousness would have benefitted by delaying his neutering as well - but he was `done` before I got him.
On the other hand, I have a friend whose Westie would SO benfit from neutering but the hubbie is against.
I understand the Health implications, but TBH they don`t outweigh behavioural issues for me.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Sorry...had to respond to bits in the post and dind't want to retype...

Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I am strongly pro-neutering (as I work for Dog's Trust!). IMO the pros outweigh the cons.

I think that would depend on whether the 'neutering' was successful and didn't leave the dog/bitch with health or behavioural problems afterwards..:002:

The main advantages I think are: no mess for in-season bitches, no phantom pregnancy (I think?), no pyometra (sp?). NO UNWANTED PUPPIES!!!!!!!!!

Not commenting on girls as I don't currently have one and if I did I suspect I would have her spayed,but only an older bitch.

For males - no pining every time a bitch is in season somewhere in a 5 mile radius (e.g. no howling, no starving themselves, no straying or running off and getting hit by a car). NO UNWANTED PUPPIES!!!!!!!!!!

Okay....I have had entire males for, well quite a while lets say and not one of them ever, not once, everhas pined /gone off food/howled or generally been a pain if there is a bitch in season locally.Not once. Infact, they have walked past in season bitches and not been bothered in the slightest...Cosmo ran away from one who was being far too flirty and forward for his liking. I think it is an urban myth that all dogs will run off and becomes pests when a bitch comes into season close to where they live.

Yes there is a slightly higher chance of some illnesses and the thing about the growth plates, but really what is that in comparison to less litters of pups in rescue centres?

The thing about the growth plates is important for people who show and work their dogs. I have had a lot of dogs neutered at the age of about 9 months and not one of them has had an easy time of it at all...the problems have ranged to from the scrotum filling up with blood post op and becoming incredibly painful, to the dog catching severe gastroenteritis in the vets and needing another op....,followed by KC, to the wound becoming infected due to incompetence at the vets (long story). I have however also had 2 older dogs done (6 and and they sailed thorough it. I think when dogs are operated on at a young age, their immune system dosen't cope very well.

ETA: I don't know if behavioural issues can be corrected by neutering, the reason I am pro is because of the amount of unwanted puppies and the number of irresponsible dog owners. If my dogs are neutered then it stops my dogs from producing pups.
Neutering can create behavioural problems as well as assisting in solving them. I would say that you are a responsible owner and therefore it is unlikely that you would allow your dog to sire/have a litter of pups, even if they were entire. It is not a question of neutering all dogs...it is a question of education and ensuring that all owners are responsible. By neutering everything, I feel you are dealing with a symptom of the problem and not the problem itself, which is irresponsible owners...THAT is the thing that needs to be sorted out,yet again, by suggesting a blanket policy of neutering, it is the animals that are losing out..

I am not anti neutering and think it can be helpful..I have had my own dogs neutered at an older age at points, one for prostate disease...one for a behaioural issue, but that was done in conjunction with training. I just don't think everyone HAS to neuter in order to be responsible.
Just my opinion.
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-12-2008, 02:58 PM
I have 3 entire Irish Setter males (10, 8.5 and 5 years old).

Irish Setters are one of a few breeds which can "lose" their coats after neutering and go woolly. Whilst I don't keep my boys solely for their appearance, they do have good coats.

If I was advised by my vets to have any of them neutered on medical grounds I would do it without hesitation.

As a child I was bought up with poodles (all 3 sizes) and a boxer bitch - all of which were spayed and I don't remember having any problems with any of them either.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Very much pro neutering here.

However, you asked for pros and cons, so I'll play fair. Here is an article covering the potential health risks of EARLY neutering:

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf

Note that the health risks assiociated are extemely small in terms of percentage. For me personally, these small risks did not come into the equasion when I neutered my current dog.

I believe that all pet dogs should be fixed, however I do respect responsible people that keep their boys intact. Alas, those responsible people tend to be few and far between...people on this dog forum don't represent the general dog owning public.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 04:25 PM
I don't show or work my dogs. I am more interested in the welfare side. And to me that's stopping the hundreds of puppies that are going into rescue every year.

I don't know the stats on unsuccesful neutering - would be interesting to find them out from a reliable source.

Every time there is this debate it's interesting that the people who are involved in rescue are pro neutering and it semms mostly people who are into showing/working are anti-neutering.

Ramble: every entire dog I have known (and I am 29 years old and have been around dogs all my life) have been affected to some extent by in season bitches. So I guess everyone's experience is different. You must have had loads of dogs to have had lots of entire males and lots of dogs neutered before 9 months (although I never advocated neutering at a young age my dog was done at 10 months and has had no ill effects at all). It sounds as if the vet was the problem rather than the actual neutering?

Can you tell me what it is the animals are losing out on by being neutered?
threedogblogger
New Member!
Male 

22-12-2008, 04:42 PM
After delaying our Dog Daisy from being spayed until her first season after conflicting advice, although we were extremely careful, she still managed to bolt and we ended up with 5 puppies. Needless to say we had our other girl spayed immediately.
If you don't want puppies then I would advice spaying as soon as they are old enough and before their first season. One quick getaway from a very fertile in season dog and you could have up to twelve puppies on your hand!

How could you rehome that many? I don't think it is worth the risk personally.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 04:53 PM
On the negative side, neutering male dogs
• if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is a
common cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis.
I think the breed of dog you own may need to come into consideration.

Due to the above quote, many rottweiler owners tend not to have there dogs done, bone cancer is a problem in the breed, the risk is far higher for a dog that is neutered.
Jo_W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Please read the story on the following link:

http://www.blackpearldogs.com/Sam.html

Makes you stop and think
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >