Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
justjess
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2008, 07:20 PM

Training for a 10/11 week old GSD

It has been along time since we've had puppies in the past and I was wondering if you'd be able to help me out.

Kaiser is doing very well so far ad sits on comand, some times he needs reminding wot to do but on the whole he does it well, we have started with the down training and he often goes down if i show him a treat and lower it to the floor but I wondered if you guys have any tips/idea i could use to make training more fun and interesting for him, i normally only do it for about 5-10 mins at a time about 4 sits and three downs.
Nicedog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Sounds to me you are doing great already.

I usually start training my puppy indoors as soon as it has settled in, and do it pretty much the same way as you explains - with tasty treats.
I always let the dog see the treat in my hand.

For sit: I raise my hand and say the command & give the treat when the dog sits.
For down: I lower my hand to the floor and say the command & give the treat when the dog is laying down.
For recall: I usually stand upright for this one, because I want to teach my dogs to come in to my right side, go behind me & sit by my left side. So I show the dog the treat, give the command, and when he comes towards me I lower the treat in my right hand and guides him behind my back while changing the treat into my left hand. When the dog comes round to my left side I rises my left hand with the treat (giving no command) so he will sit at my left side.

These three commands + stop/stay are the essentials I want my dogs to obey at all times.

Outdoors you can make recall more fun for the dog by hiding behind trees, or by running away from him while calling him. Praise & treats when he comes.

Another fun game indoors is to place treats around on the floor, in shelves, behind chaires etc and then call in the dog and tell him; search.

It is such a joy to train a new pup, and GSDs are lovely dogs. Wish both you and Kaiser a long and happy relationship...

Must admit the name of your dog made me think of one of my own lovely rotties - long gone now - but still fresh in my memory...
justjess
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2008, 08:36 AM
thanks for your reply. the promblem i have now is that he seems to have gone off his treats and i can't find any that he is bothered about, that includes turkey cheese and normal dog biccies (also numerous other things that i can't remember, he isn't two bothered about his toys either so i can't use them. any tips on what I could use.

on a plus note his done is coming on wonderfully, his recall isn't too good but i haven't been working on that much yet but thats the next step once we have perfected sit and down is coming on nicely (can't do too much at once as i confuse my self lol.)
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-12-2008, 09:22 AM
It sounds as though you are doing a good job with him. I would however spend more time on the recall at this stage getting him really eager and interested in being with you, an bursting to come to you. If you have a friend who can help out, get him to hold the pup, while you walk away and excitedly call his name. It builds up a little frustration and anticipation in the pup so he comes bombing towards you, for lots of praise and treats.

If he is not that interested in his toys, find a toy which he is most interested in, and is practical for taking out and about later. Try to build up his enthusiasm for that toy by playing lots of games that excite his prey instincts, lots of chasing of the toy which you move about jerkily, and gentle tuggy games. They aim is to get him really hooked on the toy, so that later when he is much older, you can use that for training, as toys tend to motivate a lot of dogs more than food.

I would carry on as you are doing with the sit and down so that they imprint in his young mind. I would also start working on a 'watch me' command where the pup has to focus on you and look at your face for direction as to what to do next. You can do this by holding a treat in your hand and waiting until the pup looks at you before giving it. Very gradually the period of time he looks at you can be extended.

Good luck with your pup, Kaiser is a great name. Do you have any pics? I would love to see him.
justjess
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2008, 09:26 AM
thanks for replying.

piccies

Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2008, 10:09 AM
I can only echo what has already been said Enjoy him - he is gorgeous.
justjess
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I have tried the recall abit more and i am soooo pleased with him, we feed him to the whistle so he know that the whistle is good and means food and also at the say time i have been working on stay as i have to do most of the stuff on my own as my mums at training and her bf has gone to work (i was alittle sick this morning so i got the day of school) and i cant wait for her bf to get home for his dinner break so i can show him what he can do as I am sooo proud.

I managed to video it to show you all, you can't hear the whistle in the video (it's not a silent whistle but i'm guessin it's too high for my phone to pick up???)

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...t=SV_A0028.flv
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-12-2008, 12:34 PM
That is very good. He is a very gorgeous puppy. I really enjoyed the pics and the vid. Remember not to expect too much of your pup too soon though. Let him be a puppy and enjoy his puppyhood, then you can pick up training more seriously when he is 6-8 months or so. Not too many stays or out of sight stays at his age, as you want him to think sitting is a positive experience (he is still learning to sit), and he won't think it is positive if his mummy leaves him to go to another room all the time. Having seen the vid though, it looks like you are doing really well with him, so you should be proud of what you have achieved with him.

Remember, make it all fun for him at this stage so that he enjoys the training, and don't put pressure on him at his age. Just keep it nice and easy, and simple and fun for his little young brain.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by justjess View Post
I have tried the recall abit more and i am soooo pleased with him, we feed him to the whistle so he know that the whistle is good and means food and also at the say time i have been working on stay as i have to do most of the stuff on my own as my mums at training and her bf has gone to work (i was alittle sick this morning so i got the day of school) and i cant wait for her bf to get home for his dinner break so i can show him what he can do as I am sooo proud.

I managed to video it to show you all, you can't hear the whistle in the video (it's not a silent whistle but i'm guessin it's too high for my phone to pick up???)

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...t=SV_A0028.flv
He's absolutely gorgeous, such huge paws! The phone did pick the whistle up because although I couldn't hear it my GSP shot across the lounge and stared at my laptop just as Kaiser was running towards you!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Also do lots & lots of interactive play ,so he gets really into you, hes fab!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >