Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 01:04 PM

I no longer have Zak.

I need to tell you all that I no longer have my beautiful boy Zak, he left nearly a week ago. As some members on here know I have tried so hard with him with his aggression towards dogs and people. I have tried different trainers to and still no change. They just said what I already knew that he was a very dominant dog. I have worked so hard with him, but I knew because of my ill health I was not strong enough for him. I was told by the trainers that he would make a good police dog. But I still didn't want to part with him, so carried on trying to work with him. Life was becoming unbearable as he had bitten 2 of my sons, luckily it was through their clothing so they were not hurt. But understandably they were not willing to let my grandchildren come to the house. He was challenging me all the time but I would not give in and back off, it was becoming a real battle of wills. He went for me a few weeks ago and bit my hand although once his teeth connected his bite went soft. He was just so unpredictable fine one minute and turning the next. The last straw came when he was in the kitchen behind the gate and my other sons partner came with my 6 month old grandson. She was standing the other side of the gate with the baby in her arms and Zak just lunged at her growling and teeth showing. I dread to think what could have happened if the gate was not between them, I realized then that I needed to find a new home for him. I didn't really want him to go to a home even without children as what would happen if a child visited, I could never forgive myself if I heard he had bitten any child. My next thought was rescue centre, but I knew with him being such an aggressive dog he would never have left the centre. So I thought about the police. I had a trainer for the police dogs assess him and he said he would be suitable to train, if he didn't pass for a police dog he would be trained as a personal protection dog. I was amazed at how he did all that was asked of him by the trainer. This guy certainly knew how to handle him, although Zak did try to have a go at him. He said he was a very dominant dog but that could be worked on. He has given me his telephone number so that I can ring anytime to see how he is getting on. I am so lost without him, the tears are easing now, but I so miss him. The only good thing is my grandchildren are now coming to the house again, but I still miss my boy so much. Sorry its so long but I felt I needed to get it all off my chest. It just makes me feel such a failure.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Aw hun I am so sorry Personally I think you did the right thing.... my Mum's friend had a gorgeous GSD, but he was very dominant and aggressive too and even after the snip and training he was still unreliable, he is now a security dog and is very happy as he has a job to do and excels at.... She now has a young GSD who is an angel...
((((HUGS)))) hun I know you must be really upset
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Massive hugs Heather, it's so hard but you've managed to find a solution for all of you. It sounds as if Zak will have a great future.
Think positive thoughts hey.
deez
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-09-2008, 01:44 PM
what else could you have done! you tried everything- but your family has to come first, and it looks like Zac will have a great life doing a job he was born for. dont feel bad, big hugs, it must be awful for you to have had to let him go x
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 01:50 PM
You did your best but sometimes our best isnt good enough and we have to admit defeat. At least you are safe in the knowledge Zak has got a purposeful future ahead of him and a life that will suit him and fulfill his needs.

You made a very sensible decision about his future but I know it wont lessen the hurt any.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 02:36 PM
I agree with what everyone else said , I don't think you should feel like a failure because a lot of people would have had him PTS and at least this way he has a chance of a life . You should be proud he is at least gettig a chance
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 02:39 PM
I know just how you are feeling, and knowing that we all agree you did the right thing by him won't lessen the pain, but it will be of comfort once you start to feel less raw about things.

You obviously had no alternative and had tried so hard to keep him, at least he will be able to channel all that excess energy into something worthwhile, he has been given a second chance...some people would not have been so forgiving, so you must commend yourself for that.

The biggest of hugs coming your way, time is a great healer and although you will never forget him, you will find that each day without him will become that little bit more bearable.

Sheree xx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 02:40 PM
A failure? Rubbish! You did exactly the right thing for you, your family and Zak. Well done for making the decision, the right one for all concerned.
Dawn.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Well done! And good luck to Zac in his new career. I know it`s hard to say goodbye to your dog, but you did the right thing for him.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Aww Heather sweet. My heart goes out to you. You made the right decision. x
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »