Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 11:55 AM

Bitches Coat after Spaying?

Stumpy's coat is absolutely dreadful at the moment.

I put it down to a combination of stress over the bonfire period and a reaction to a new food I was trying her on, (which I think most likely as she was really itchy).

However, she was spayed in September and the change in her coat has been over the past 4 weeks or so.

I have heard people say that a bitches coat will often deteriorate after being spayed and it started me wondering -

does any change occur fairly quickly after being spayed or is a more gradual change over the years?
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Not sure about your breed, but I had heard that Cavaliers coats can become woolley. Poppy was spayed 3 months after her first season and her coat is more like puppy fur than the typical adult Cavalier coat. It is very fine and soft, and for this reason she wears a dog coat in the winter. Sometimes it can be a bit dry, but I use Groomers Evening Primrose Oil shampoo when I bath her and find this helps. Sorry I can't be of any more help.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 12:29 PM
From what I have seen its a sort of gradual change, each time the bitch has a change of coat it brings in a new coat of the new texture/thickness.

Mo
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 12:46 PM
I had an Irish setter and when I got her spayed her coat went woolley gradually
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Change in coat quality is one of the things that everyone seems to agree is a downside to spaying. I think it only happens with certain breeds though.

Our Beagles coat didn't change at all. She's now 14 months old and was spayed at 6 months. I'm pretty sure I've read that people notice the coat change pretty soon after spaying if there's going to be a problem.

Our dogs have lovely coats and I put it down to the fatty acid supplement we give them. It might be worth a try?
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 12:50 PM
My whippets and lurchers's coats never changed at all
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 01:07 PM
My Lily (cocker spaniel) was spayed in June and her coat is dreadful, so bad that I've now clipped her back and am keeping her legs/feathering short, it breaks my heart to see her looking so bad but this is the only way I can keep her looking tidy. It didn't happen immediately just gradually over a few months.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 01:10 PM
I don't know the answer to your question having not had a bitch before. I just wondered in what way the coat is not as good as it was. There are certain supplements/shampoos you can give for different coat problems as you probably know, and therefore people might be able to suggest ideas if they knew in what way the coat has changed?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Daisy`s coat and general condition deteriorated after spaying then 3 months later bounced back and she now has the best . thickest glossiest coat she`s ever had. I`d say give it time and let the hormones settle.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 01:42 PM
It is true most double coated breeds will suffer with a poor abundant coat after neutering, it can take place within 6 months or it may not happen for two or three years. In some cases the only way to deal with it is to have it clipped out, if you are unable to groom to the skin the chances are the dog will develop a yeast infection which will smell and make the dog itchy.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >