Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2008, 04:20 PM

Underfoot

Can anyone tell me whether there is some canine behavioural impulse that drives them to be underfoot? I'm not very steady on my feet anyway, but Amber is ALWAYS trying to trip me up. If she sees a person coming up behind her (usually when she's blocking a door way) she has a "rabbit in headlights" reaction and rather than continuing to walk, she starts backing up into your feet I've lost count of the number of times she has tripped me up, but last week she tried to trip my horse up!

We were out on a bridleway, with my boyfriend on foot, and Amber found herself right in front of my horse. She froze and then started to creep nearer to his feet, whereas most dogs I've ridden with tend to go shooting off in the opposite direction when they find themselves under-hoof! My horse, fortunately, spotted her and stopped, then carefully picked up his foot and poked her. It was so funny and he was so gentle with her - it was literally a nudge to say "sorry, but you're right in my way". At which point she decided to go back to walking politely at the side of us.

Tonight, she's done it again while I was carrying an armful of laundry, so I didn't see her and almost fell. I have popped my ankle and I'm just pleased I didn't actually go over, as I could have not only hurt myself, but Amber as well. I just can't understand it, as all my previous dogs have done everything they can to get out of the way if they see someone bearing down on them. But Amber seems to suddenly panic and then try to get herself right under where your feet are going to be.

Is there anything I can do to train this out of her? Or is there anything I should be doing? Maybe I need to encourage all people who walk in Amber's vicinity to blow an airhorn?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 08:38 AM
My two prefer to be as close to our feet as possible when in the house... in fact, they will go out of their way to trip us up!

Doesn't help that my OH is currently on crutches with a fractured foot

They also like to sit on my feet, or lean on me when I'm doing stuff in the kitchen, e.g. cooking. That is really not helpful when I'm trying to carry a pan full of boiling water etc to the sink to drain it!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 10:28 AM
It amazes me how my two, when presented with a huge big open field to romp in, still manage to bang and bump into our legs as they play! Archie doesn't believe in running around you, he runs THROUGH you. He has hit us all a far smack with running at full tilt head first into our legs. And not even a backwards glance as he gets back to his feet and races on.

I think our feet and legs act as magnets to dogs. Especially when you are carrying something and/or on the stairs.

I feel your pain!
(Love the fact that your horse nudged Amber out of the way!)