Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2008, 10:27 AM

Moisture content of tinned food Vs raw meat

I was under the impression that tinned dog food was bad value because of the high moisture content. I did some research and was surprised to find how high the moisture content is in raw meat:

Beef, ground, extra lean, raw 63.2
Chicken, light meat, meat and skin, raw 68.6
Finfish, flounder/sole, raw 79.1
Egg, whole, raw, fresh 75.3

These figures aren't so far away from tinned food so perhaps tinned food isn't such bad value after all?
Dilkara
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2008, 12:40 PM
By value do you mean cost, or nutritional?
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Either or both I guess! I was just surprised as I always thought tinned food was like buying water - but if you look at it like that, so is raw meat.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2008, 02:15 PM
I don't think you can compare tinned dog food and raw meats just by moisture content.

Raw meat is not fed on it's own. Edible bone and organs are also included in the diet. It acts as floss on the teeth as the dog rips and tears it (as opposed to tinned mush that just clogs and sticks between teeth). It's got all the nutrients available to the dog since it hasn't been cooked to the high temps required of tinned foods.

Tinned dog foods;
Grain gluten and other protein gels are cooked by steam in tinned dog food to make artificial meaty chunks, which look like real meat, but aren't. It has additives which aren't needed for the health of the dog, or have a negative effect. It's is cooked to around 120°, which in itself can kill off alot of nutritional goodness in foods.

So I wouldn't compare foods by moisture content alone.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Good points Evie. There are many arguments for why raw meat is better than tinned dog food and I'm not disputing those. I was just talking specifically about the moisture content of tinned Vs raw meat because I always thought this was an important factor AGAINST buying tinned whereas after finding these figures, that particular argument doesn't seem to hold much water any more! (see what I did there! lol - sorry.)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2008, 03:00 PM
That's surprising isn't it. Maybe that's why raw feeders feed a lot more than others who are on kibble or tinned or whatever other they choose to be on? Interesting anyway
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
That's surprising isn't it. Maybe that's why raw feeders feed a lot more than others who are on kibble or tinned or whatever other they choose to be on? Interesting anyway
sorry helena but you feed less on raw than kibble as more of the food is digested, with less output.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Oh? I just remember somebody saying about how surprised she was with the amount of meat that came in the post when she ordered and wanted to know how long she could store it in the fridge? That's very interesting then, coz I always thought you fed more raw than a cupful of kibble say for each meal. I'm sure some people give their dog a whole chicken don't they as a meal?? A big dog I mean, something like Georgie 46 kgs of dog? Perhaps spread over a day, but would a dog that size maybe get a whole chicken a day, with bone etc. If you compare that to a measly old cup of kibble or two it does seem a lot more to me
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh? I just remember somebody saying about how surprised she was with the amount of meat that came in the post when she ordered and wanted to know how long she could store it in the fridge? That's very interesting then, coz I always thought you fed more raw than a cupful of kibble say for each meal. I'm sure some people give their dog a whole chicken don't they as a meal?? A big dog I mean, something like Georgie 46 kgs of dog? Perhaps spread over a day, but would a dog that size maybe get a whole chicken a day, with bone etc. If you compare that to a measly old cup of kibble or two it does seem a lot more to me
LOL!!!!!!!!

you order food for probably a month or two at a time. mine comes minced in 1lb bags. the chicken is a carcass with most of the meat (breast,legs,wings) removed.

H is 59kgs and he has 2lb of food a day, split into 2 meals. he also gets cooked veg, fruit and table scraps within reason spread over a month.
Bonnie is 26kgs and gets 1.5 lbs per day. it dont sound much less than H but she is more active and burns it off more than him.

your learning
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Lol! I never stop, I've got a very inquisitive mind ya know!!! My Grandma was always saying to me when I was knee high "why, why, why do the ships go by"!!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >