Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2008, 08:35 AM

Screen Goes Black

My son has a laptop computer he has had for a couple of months now. The problem is now and again the screen goes black and to get it back he has to switch off the computer and then switch on again. It does not happend every day, but happened twice yesterday when he was working on it. His OP is Vista.
mrphilip
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-06-2008, 08:45 AM
How much memory is he running Vista with. When I bought my laptop it had 512k of ram - and vista needs at least 1 meg.

When I first used the machine I found the screen either froze or went blank while the machine caught up with itself.

Now with 2 meg - its fine.

Check the amount of memory the machine is running on. If it is under 1 meg - I would upgrade.

If its 1 meg or over - I would get in touch with the dealer who sold it.

Very basically the Sale of Goods Act states that goods must be for the purpose they are sold for.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2008, 09:34 AM
He is gong to check the memory, but I am quite sure he did have a fair but of memory. Also he says you can see the work on there in the background, but it is very dark and you cannot see where the cursor is.
mrphilip
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-06-2008, 01:28 PM
If it was my machine - I would get it back to your dealer.

Vistan has taken a lot of stick - I know - but now it works well - just different in appearance at times from XP
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-06-2008, 03:34 PM
back in the good old days this was caused when you were running applications (games) at too high a resolution that the screen could manage. Rather than giving an error message it just wiped out.

Maybe this could be the cause?